General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Mon 30-Apr-12 16:31:17
Print Post

Re: New speeds upgrade question

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Entirely possible, would need his ISP to run a diagnostic check to see if its been banded.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Mon 30-Apr-12 16:43:55
Print Post

[re: andylong42] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andylong42:
Or should I be getting 32Mb on my current package and I in fact need to investigate an issue?

A number of factors will be affecting the speeds you can currently achieve.

Not least is the distance from the fibre cabinet.
Do you have a rough idea what that distance is?

How often the connection re-syncs can also have a major effect on how DLM sets sync speeds, as can cumulative error counts, copper or aluminium cabling, time between errors, noise interference, crosstalk etc...........

I am situated "up to" 1000m from my cabinet, currently in sync at 29.6Mb & have occasionally synced at up to 35Mb & as low as 7Mb when my connection had major physical issues.

FWIW, My original estimate was 14.6Mb (original 8c profile) & I achieved a stable 35Mb sync speed for almost a full month.
Profile 17a was introduced in October 2011 on my connection & my estimate went up to 24Mb.
My estimate has been 30Mb for the last couple of months.

My ISP put me on the 80/20 trial just as an experiment to see if cabinet output power could be automatically increased for the higher frequencies that MIGHT have improved sync speeds.

This experiment proved just one thing:-
Sync speeds were not improved at all frown & I am now back on the 40Mb service, at my request.

HTH.
(committed) Mon 30-Apr-12 16:46:26
Print Post

As IP Profile is 96.79% of sync speed for FTTC, a 25Mb sync speed should give an IP Profile of 24.2Mb (approx)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Apr-12 16:50:27
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Thanks. I couldn't remember the percentage. Though I suppose 38717/40000 gives a clue tongue smile. Knocks my 25Mbps sync idea on the head, but may still be worth the OP getting it checked.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User andylong42
(learned) Mon 30-Apr-12 16:51:03
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Is this a simple thing to ask for, or would it be a typically life-shortening experience trying to explain to BT?

Also, does anyone else think the upgrade to Infinity 2 page is very misleading? It says "upgrade to higher speed for free" with a big button to press. What would be my legal standing if I did this and got no increase, but still had a new 18month contract?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Apr-12 17:01:09
Print Post

[re: andylong42] [link to this post]

If the speed was even just 0.1Mbps faster for upload or download, then they could say you got a higher speed.

All you stand to win is a waiver for the need for a new 18 month contract

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 18:28:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Thanks. I couldn't remember the percentage. Though I suppose 38717/40000 gives a clue tongue smile. Knocks my 25Mbps sync idea on the head, but may still be worth the OP getting it checked.

Doesn't mean it's not a banded profile though. The bands don't seem to fall on an exact full megabit number. After some cockups on my line, I'm on a banded profile and capped at 47855 down, 16993 up. Other times I've been capped at 60181/19000 and 61081/18999 (sic).
(committed) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:29:36
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by qasdfdsaq:
Doesn't mean it's not a banded profile though. The bands don't seem to fall on an exact full megabit number. After some cockups on my line, I'm on a banded profile and capped at 47855 down, 16993 up. Other times I've been capped at 60181/19000 and 61081/18999 (sic).

Are those sync speeds or IP Profile speeds that you quote?

My connection has been banded on & off due to various issues over the months.
When banded, DLM has set the Downstream sync speed at values such as 24999, 27399, 24699, 32399, 14999, 7999, 12999 & so on.

Upstream sync speed has never been banded (apart from when I had a capped 2Mb Upstream service, when US sync speed was always 1999 k).

Working it backward, a sync speed of 24499 k would give an IP profile of approx 23713 k & a maximum throughput of approx 23001k (so maybe the OP is on a sync speed profile banded at 24499k)?

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Mon 30-Apr-12 22:39:14)

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 23:06:37
Print Post

Sync speeds. My current IP profile is 46.32, on a downstream sync speed of 47855. I've definitely been banded on upstream as well, over the past few days my US sync rate has been 19000, 18000, 17000, and 16993, while normally it's 20000 with >31000 attainable.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Apr-12 23:15:42
Print Post

I think I'm right in saying that if the OR DLM applies banding, it is quite likely to remove it automatically after a while?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to