General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Fri 04-May-12 17:20:52
Print Post

Re: Upload Speeds Doubled, Downloads didn't ? FTTC

[re: davestubbs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by davestubbs:
I'm on Web Tapestry BTW

I don't know anything about Web Tapestry at all.
However, some ISPs have a throughput profile which differs to the BT IP Profile.

e.g. Plusnet:-

Users on the up to 40Mb service tend to have a Plusnet profile of 37Mb.
When being switched to the 80 Mb service, Plusnet's profile can sometimes stick at 37Mb, so regardless of much higher sync speeds, the higher throughput is not achieved.

Plusnet have an "unlimited" speed profile that should be used for up to 80 Mb throughput.
This "unlimited" profile is strangely named 20Mb (don't ask).

I wonder if Web Tapestry have a similar setup, where the throughput profile also need uncapping to enable up to 80 Mb throughput speeds?
Standard User truex360
(learned) Fri 04-May-12 17:28:49
Print Post

have a read of the below thread . i had same issue its taken my isp two weeks to get it fixed with entanet / btw. Just waiting to find out route cause but i believe it to be mismatch profiles etc. speak to you isp and find out if they use BTW or entanet as i think it will be entanet its highly likely same issue

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4115237-nee...

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC

Edited by truex360 (Fri 04-May-12 17:35:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-May-12 17:29:43
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
I wonder if Web Tapestry have a similar setup, where the throughput profile also need uncapping to enable up to 80 Mb throughput speeds?
It has come to light in the last couple of days that there could have been something up with one or more Enta WBC MSILs, limiting the throughput per connection to 40Mbps quite independent of the Enta copy IP Profile. Fixed this afternoon.

I have no idea whether Web Tapestry use Enta, or have their own MSILs, or whatever. But possibly the same problem?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-May-12 17:30:31
Print Post

[re: truex360] [link to this post]

Snap smile!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User truex360
(learned) Fri 04-May-12 17:33:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ive just asked martin from aquiss if they have given a reason but hes still waiting for answers but its looking more and more like entanet if webtap uses it as well

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC
Standard User davestubbs
(member) Sat 05-May-12 12:24:56
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Only just got the speed tester to work.

Ip profile is 69.97 down and 20 up. So I'm guessing I should be able to achieve much faster speeds than I'm currently getting.

I'm relying mostly on speedtest.net to check the speeds as this seems pretty much the best to use as long as I pick a site that responds well, maidenhead seems pretty good for me.

So armed with all this I probably have enough to go back to my ISP to work out what's wrong.

Anything else I should know or consider?
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-May-12 12:36:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by davestubbs:
I'm relying mostly on speedtest.net to check the speeds

To give a better idea of the actual download speed available to you (you've mentioned struggling to get past 40Mbps on a 70Mbps IP profile), try using FreeDownloadManager to download the TBB 1GB test file.
A download manager will use multiple threads up to a maximum (dicated by the server or the download software - whichever has the lower limit).
For the TBB test files, you're allowed up to 12 threads (download manager will start with just one, get it going then open up the maximum number of threads for simultaneous download.

See what total speed you're getting (the download manager will normally report this in KB/s. Just in case you're seeing the same as I (maximum line speed for multiple downloads but a much reduced speed for single thread downloads - such as the TBB speedtest and general downloading).
For the 1GB TBB test file, I get around 900 KB/s (about 7.2Mbps) for a single thread, rising to around 8800 KB/s (about 70Mbps) when all 12 threads kick in.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 12:44:27
Print Post

tbbmeter lets you do it all in one, and avoids disk speed limts as the test files are not written to disk

Currently supports up to 6 threads, had to abandon some development on a VM 50 Meg line due to congestion

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-May-12 13:18:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
tbbmeter lets you do it all in one, and avoids disk speed limts as the test files are not written to disk

My copy seemed to be at a default setting two threads (adjusted via 'test options window' up to five threads - can't see an option for six). This increased the multi-thread test file from 10MB to 25MB (I assume it's preset for 5MB per thread).

The results window says something like (it disappeared too quickly) "you downloaded in 15.5 seconds using 0 threads at a total speed of 13.5 Mbps, total download was 26.2MB".
So; five threads; 13.5Mbps total = 2.7Mbps per thread.
Using a download manager to download the 20MB test file (20MB / 5 threads = 4MB per thread - so pretty close to that of TBB meter) and I get a peak on the TBBmeter graph of around 40Mbps, but it's all over so quickly.

Something doesn't add up.
TBBmeter is supposedly downloading a 25MB file, split into five threads and manages around 2.7Mbps per thread.
Download manager gets around 7.7Mbps per thread (for the 20MB test file over five threads).

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 13:22:25
Print Post

Actually tbbmeter does 5 x 5MB files.

Will fire my dev machine up later, and change the number of threads, part of the evolving of average speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to