General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Sun 06-May-12 19:50:05
Print Post

Re: Upload Speeds Doubled, Downloads didn't ? FTTC

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Indeed, the "bad boy" throttle was supposed to have been removed over a year ago and I'm yet to see any indication otherwise.

My connection's exceeded 640GB in the last week alone (it appears my flatmate's managed to accidentally bypass BT's P2P upload shaping) and I'm not seeing any signs of a throttle.

Incidentally there *is* a way to tell if shaping/capping/congestion is happening at the BTw or cabinet level - but it requires a hacked modem. With a hacked modem, you can set the VLAN 301 interface to be accessible to your LAN devices, and ping the default gateway on there.

That device (in my case Juniper networks kit) will be in the exchange to which your cab is backhauled (presumably at the NGA handover node), and data to/from it will not go over your PPPoE link or the BTw network.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Sun 06-May-12 19:56:14)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-May-12 20:12:38
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

I seriously doubt BT Retail can afford to install 1000+ Junipers, more likely to be one in 16 major nodes around UK

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-May-12 20:15:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

16? Not 20?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-May-12 20:33:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

A number around that figure, the number of nodes has slipped my mind

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-May-12 21:10:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well all of that; coupled with other posts indicating the FUP and bad-boy throttle was, indeed, removed a year ago is all the more confusing (because I'm running out of options as to why I can hit full line speed with multi-thread downloads and struggle to get single threads above about 16Mbps during peak time).

The fact I can get single threads well in excess of 16Mbps during the working week kind of rules out my equipment (PC, router, modem, AV software, etc.).

So the only thing I'm now left with is loads of people off my cabinet using VOIP and streaming all evening, every evening, and all weekend; or someone hacking into my wireless network at almost exactly 5pm weekdays and somehow avoiding their device appearing in the connected devices section of the HH web-pages.

Basically at a loss and still can't think how ringing India will help (as they'll only blame something my end and wind up sending me a new HH, because I won't be able to get through to them that the connection is fine during the day).

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Sun 06-May-12 21:19:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm not sure where it is, but I'd be curious to see what other people's results are.

Mine responds in 4.7ms, about 1.5ms lower than the BRAS so I presume they're not in the same location. Ignition was the one who suggested at the NGA handover.

Next guess, Tier 1 MSAN/metro node?

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Sun 06-May-12 21:23:40)

Standard User thomaswarne01
(regular) Sun 06-May-12 21:41:54
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

Not being funny, and not read all the text but has the OP tested their connection via wireless or ethernet (LAN)?
And if via wireless try via ethernet it shoulc give real true results.

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Sun 06-May-12 21:45:10
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

Funny you say that, this afternoon I got thrown off thinking there was a problem with my router when my desktop on wired gigabit ethernet was only getting 5mbps. Later figured out it was the desktop's ethernet driver when my laptop was getting full speed wirelessly at the far end of the building.

Moral of the story - wired isn't universally better, it's got its fair share of bugs, dodgy driver settings and inconsistencies.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-May-12 22:37:31
Print Post

And now (presumably because it's getting late on a Sunday evening), we're back to almost normal.

Speedtest.net result

Even the TBB tester is coming back with at least twice the speed it has since 5pm on Friday. The upload is still about 10Mbps down on my actual upload speed (but many of us are seeing that issue).
My Broadband Speed Test

Not only that, but the TBBmeter mutli-thread download test has just come back with a 42Mbps result (around 30Mbps higher than it's been all weekend).

Surely this rules out equipment/software issues at my end and points the finger firmly back to a peak-time (which for domestic connections is outside working hours) throttle of some kind.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-May-12 23:09:05
Print Post

I don't think it will be at the GEA handover at the exchange. More likely at the MSIL that you go through out of WBC into the BT Retail network. Barring network fault conditions, that is a fixed point.

There is a comparable setup on Entanet, where somehow they restrict that throughput for all on that node. Importantly I think they do it top-down, i.e.reduce the highest speed allowed on the node/MSIL.

You can see the Entanet ones here. (Don't forget, these are the Enta MSILs. Every WBC-using ISP has their own so there is no load correlation between ISPs. It depends entirely on the contracted throughput the ISP has arranged with BT Wholesale for each individual MSIL).

Somewhere in the SINs, IIRC, is a margin for over-use. Let's call it "m". (Unlike Centrals, MSILs are unlikely to fill up. Unless perhaps yours has?)

As I understand it there are 1Gbps and 10Gbps MSILs. Just for example, I'll use 1Gbps. The ISP has contracted for say 600Mbps. If demand rises above that the extra capacity is automatically there, so far as BTW are concerned. It is provided until of course it reached 1Gbps.

However, up to 600+m% the charge is pro-rata. Above 600+m% the charge is much higher. A penal rate.

I see two possibilities. First your MSIL is reaching capacity due to unexpected demand caused by high 80/20 takeup. Or second, the same effect as it somehow gets throttled to 40Mbps as it approaches 100% of contracted. Then lower if necessary, as demand is rising rapidly these days. Queuing effects will also be present, so even at a 40Mbps MSIL cap you won't get anywhere near that. Motorway slowdown syndrome.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to