General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User philippercival
(committed) Sun 06-May-12 23:36:52
Print Post

Re: Upload Speeds Doubled, Downloads didn't ? FTTC

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Following this thread as I am rather disappointed with the result of upgrading from 40/10 to 80/20 with Enta.

My speed test results can be seen here, both through speedtest and the BT tester.

Enta technical support did give me a test login, which gave the best speeds I have ever achieved according to Speedtest.net, But with the BT speedtester it did no9t really make much difference.

It looks to me as though my download speed is somehow locked at 40Mbps.

Would be interested in others views and possible solutions. Enta has passed it to their support team, however say it may take three weeks to solve it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-May-12 23:40:04
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philippercival:
Following this thread as I am rather disappointed with the result of upgrading from 40/10 to 80/20 with Enta.
Have you read this thread? It seems it got resolved for two users there. Which reseller are you with?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(committed) Sun 06-May-12 23:51:28
Print Post

Thank you for your response.

I am following that one as well.

I will re-read it to see if I can find out a definite diagnosis.

I am with Vivaciti, but have not involved them yet as technical support for FTTC products go straight though to Enta.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User truex360
(learned) Mon 07-May-12 00:15:50
Print Post

the problem is def with entanet/btw still waiting for what the root cause as its a bank hol . will ask what the cause is next week but martin from aquiss might put a post up

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC
My Broadband Speed Test
Upload is 16 smile
(committed) Mon 07-May-12 00:25:14
Print Post

[re: truex360] [link to this post]

Thank you. It was reading your original post which provoked me to test further and contact Enta.

So far they have accepted my ticket and said they have passed it to their "In House Team" for monitoring and warned that it may take three weeks to resolve. Hence me wondering if they was anything I could do in terms of information to speed it up.

After the bank holiday I might suggest to Vivaciti that they give Martin a quick ring, if they have not come across similar problems as I am sure with the right info it could be sorted in minutes. Meanwhile I will keep on using the BT speedtester and keeping the results.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Mon 07-May-12 01:20:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by philippercival:
Enta technical support did give me a test login, which gave the best speeds I have ever achieved according to Speedtest.net, But with the BT speedtester it did no9t really make much difference.

The BT Speedtester has it's own (server-side) issues, I would not trust it.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-12 10:09:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I see two possibilities. First your MSIL is reaching capacity due to unexpected demand caused by high 80/20 takeup. Or second, the same effect as it somehow gets throttled to 40Mbps as it approaches 100% of contracted. Then lower if necessary, as demand is rising rapidly these days. Queuing effects will also be present, so even at a 40Mbps MSIL cap you won't get anywhere near that. Motorway slowdown syndrome.

Well it's either that (an intentional throttle/speed cap - seems to be variable, Entanet style - as capacity is reached) or the bad-boy throttle & FUP is still in place (and BT 'forgot' to e-mail me last month saying I'd used too much), but I don't recall using anything like the old 300GB FUP trigger level, that's a heck of a lot of pirated movies, iPlayer and radio streaming (sorry..."Linux distro downloads").

In any case; we're back to being sub-ADSL2+ speeds again (certainly on download, anyway).
TBB speedtests are becoming a pain (really long time to get a result, mainly because at the very start of the test I get a short high speed burst, over 64Mbps, prompting the TBB test to try a massive file. Then the data speed drops to well below 20Mbps for the remainder of the test - meaning it takes an age to complete).
Still; waiting long enough does produce a result. For the first time (in I don't know how long) the TBB download test agrees with a Speedtest.net result (upload is still way down, but that's another on-going issue which seems completely unrelated to BT's throttling).
TBBmeter FTP upload test reports 15944.5kbps (so 16Mbps, as near as makes no difference), so the low upload result is purely an issue with the TBB speedtest.
My Broadband Speed Test

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 07-May-12 10:13:51
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
Well it's either that (an intentional throttle/speed cap - seems to be variable, Entanet style - as capacity is reached) or the bad-boy throttle & FUP is still in place (and BT 'forgot' to e-mail me last month saying I'd used too much), but I don't recall using anything like the old 300GB FUP trigger level, that's a heck of a lot of pirated movies, iPlayer and radio streaming (sorry..."Linux distro downloads").

In any case; we're back to being sub-ADSL2+ speeds again (certainly on download, anyway).
Sorry, remind me - did you hack the modem yet?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-12 10:14:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes.
Or to anyone from BT (who may be watching), erm...no.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 07-May-12 10:29:02
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Did you disable vlan 301?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to