General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User balami
(committed) Fri 18-May-12 23:16:19
Print Post

Re: Upload Speeds Doubled, Downloads didn't ? FTTC

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Its not that surprising considering the issues encountered in the workplace with various speed issues between all the versions of Microsoft's desktop & server os's.

But I agree you would have thought it would be a more common issue.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-May-12 10:00:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Unlikely to be home/ISP router issue as I get 77/16 Mbps results (even from the TBB speedtester) on an XP laptop plugged into the very same gigabit switch (and, thus, home router/ISP router & everything else is common) yet much lower speeds on my W7 desktop.

It does look, more and more, like an OS issue and Windows 7 doing something quirky with its auto-tuning.

NIC, on the desktop, is a mobo imbedded NVIDIA nForce gigabit LAN controller and Broadcom gigabit NIC on the Dell laptop.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-May-12 20:19:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
NIC, on the desktop, is a mobo imbedded NVIDIA nForce gigabit LAN controller and Broadcom gigabit NIC on the Dell laptop.

Ahh, I wonder if the nForce gigabit controller could be the issue. Check in the BIOS for any setting relating to the card - there was something that caused packet loss for people on BE/O2 in 2008/2009 time frame - and a BIOS setting fixed it.

Either that or try fitting a PCI NIC - preferably one with Intel chip smile

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (originally Mar 2011) THFB PCP 5 - hope for 21st May to 1 June !

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-May-12 21:06:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Either that or try fitting a PCI NIC - preferably one with Intel chip smile

Can't really be bothered to do that. Total download speed (if I use three or more threads) is full line speed so changing my NIC, just to get full speed results on the TBB speedtester, seems a bit of an over-kill.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-May-12 21:30:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
Can't really be bothered to do that. Total download speed (if I use three or more threads) is full line speed so changing my NIC, just to get full speed results on the TBB speedtester, seems a bit of an over-kill.

Worth looking in the BIOS though - it was something to do with game optimisation if I recall correctly. It seemed to change the way data was passed from the ethernet controller (within the nForce chipset) to the PCI / PCIe bus.

I guess you've tried this stuff too?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkK0ZZKQzs8

No FTTC cabinet yet (originally Mar 2011) THFB PCP 5 - hope for 21st May to 1 June !

Edited by jchamier (Sat 19-May-12 21:33:04)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 16:52:24
Print Post

Absolutely nothing in the BIOS settings [for the integrated LAN controllers] apart from enable/disable.
In any case; now I've tweaked Windows 7 away from its useless auto-tuning parameters, and onto something which works, I'm getting pretty decent single thread downloads on everything other than the TBB speedtester (which is still around 20Mbps lower than actual download speeds and also an alternative single thread Java speedtest site).

My connection server tools @ visualware.com single threaded speedtest (using Java) gives a result of 70496kbps
TBB's single thread Java speedtest gives 56150kbps.
My Broadband Speed Test

As a comparison;
My connection server tools @ visualware.com's multi-threaded speedtest (using Java) gives a result of 74461kbps (pretty close to their single thread test result).

Now I've tweaked Windows 7 (telling it not to do some of the stuff it does so badly) it's looking more, and more, like the TBB test server is either underperforming, is over-loaded or is being throttled (TBB say they've previously seen evidence their protocol is being throttled by BT).

Still haven't got to grips with the apparent 7Mbps upload limit on the TBB tester when using my W7-64bit PC (when it gives 17Mbps on my XP-32bit laptop and practically every other upload test - including FTP upload test using TBB tools gives 13Mbps+).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 20-May-12 16:54:07)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-May-12 17:36:33
Print Post

Ah, there you go Ade.

70059Kbps on the multithreaded visualware jobbie

24008Kbps on BB Max

53.4Mbps on TBB (with a truly dreadful 4.9 upload)

Thanks for that.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-May-12 17:48:25
Print Post

I suspect the only way to get a scientific test would be to use something like the following setup

* No router - just OR modem
* Ethernet connection from test PC to OR modem

* PC with clean Windows 7 install from MS disc (no additional drivers except ethernet), no AV etc

* Mac with OS X 10.7.4 clean install with no additional software

* PC with Linux (RedHat Enterprise, SUSE, etc)

Then set up the in-OS PPPoE client and run a standardised set of tests.

Equally perform the same tests with another ISP, one using WBC, and one that doesn't use WBC (e.g. TalkTalk or Sky).

I'm aware of a TalkTalk user with 80/20 who says speeds are really low come peak periods, but off peak things are amazingly quick.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 20:58:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Pretty much exactly the same as I was seeing (pre-tweaks).

What are you getting with the single thread visualware tester? Somewhere close to the TBB tester, I'd imagine.

TBH I'm still not convinced my tweaks have actually achieved anything.
I had a big boost in the Flash based testers (BB Max, Speedtest.net, speed.io, etc.) following Batboy's advice of disabling vlan 130 in the modem (I think it was 130 - in any case, there's only one vlan set up in the Echolife modem) and disabling QOS (also in the modem).
Now, providing I don't pick a duff server, the Flash based testers pretty much always return maximum speed (before I got results anywhere between 12Mbps & 50Mbps during peak times, but always got max speed off-peak).

I still had single thread issues (pretty much exactly the same as you're seeing).
So after a recommendation and a bit of Googling, on Friday evening I carried out steps recommended by Speedguide.net.

Now it may be a coincidence and plenty on here will say it makes no difference, but I immediately got an improvement in single thread downloads which has stayed.
I'd never managed higher than around 6-16Mbps for the TBB test files (downloaded, single thread, using TBB Tools), which was also the case immediately before my tweaks.
Immediately after, I got around 50Mbps for a TBB test file in single thread mode.
TBB test files are still all over the place but I've not had a result lower than 30Mbps since I tweaked and couldn't get a result higher than around 16Mbps before the tweaks.

Coincidence? You be the judge.

During a 13 minute window, starting at 20:25 (Sunday evening) I got the following results (tested in the order shown below): -
74636kbps/16735kbps from BB Max.
64.34Mbps/17.46Mbps from Speedtest.net (Xilo Maidenhead server - probably!)
72.1Mbps/18.5Mbps from the single threaded Visualware tester
74.6Mbps/18.3Mbps from the four threaded Visualware tester
73Mbps/16.06Mbps from the BT speedtester (also confirming my IP profile of 77.39Mbps
And, as usual, the lowest result comes from the TBB tester
My Broadband Speed Test

TBB Tools download tests give;
Single thread = 36Mbps
Ten threads = 70Mbps

Using Zen's test files (using TBB Tool to download and meter) I get;
Single thread = 71.6Mbps

So;
a) What's wrong with the TBB speedtester to give such low download results?
b) What's up with the apparent 7Mbps upload limit on the TBB speedtester (only get a true speed if i get my old XP laptop out, when the TBB speedtester returns around 14-16Mbps upload)?
c) How come TBB tools can download a 100MB file from Zen @ 71.6Mbps but can only manage 36.3Mbps for a 100MB file from TBB's own servers?

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-May-12 21:14:48
Print Post

TBH Ade, I'm not too fussed, it's only bragging rights after all. The biggest issue is how does the average Joe judge their speed, if speedtesters are going to be so flaky on the higher speed services ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to