General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 21:27:00
Print Post

Re: Upload Speeds Doubled, Downloads didn't ? FTTC

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The biggest issue is how does the average Joe judge their speed, if speedtesters are going to be so flaky on the higher speed services ?

Ah-ha! That's the $64,000 question (as yet unanswered).
Even different servers, on the same speedtest site, produce wildly different results (which is why we can no longer rely on Speedtest.net - which always used to be so reliable, albeit a little generous).

Multi-thread downloads (using a download manager) seem to be the only reliable measure of line speed (and how many Joe Averages know about download managers, single thread, multi-thread, etc.).

We can't even rely on the BT speedtester.
Up to the point I carried out Batboy's tweaks (and those on the Speedguide.net site) the BT speedtester was telling me to call my ISP because I had a fault. Now (loads of tweaks later - some to the modem, some to Windows 7 - and the BT tester is reliably returning results over 70Mbps).

If it's confusing the heck out of us lot, can you imagine Joe Average getting it?
Mind you; I'm sure most have no idea of their download speeds (My Dad is normally totally clueless, when it comes to download speeds, throttling & testing, etc. and he spent years teaching ICT at our local college of FE).

It's all very well people saying "our speedtester is fine with 100Mbps Virgin connections" or "I checked using our office connection and got 200Mbps download". In reality (as we've both proven) speedtesters are flaky (at best) with FTTC.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-May-12 21:51:57
Print Post

[re: davestubbs] [link to this post]

Anything else I should know or consider?

The Openreach spec for the 40M product was I think a CIR (committed information rate ?) downstream of 20M or line rate if lower. I think this only goes up to 30M downstream for the 80M product so although unlikely there may be contention on the fibre betwixt the cabinet and the whatever to consider.

I think the upstream CIR matches the product rate, or line rate if lower.

I haven't read what BT Wholesale say about their next link in the chain, but there's scope for another contention point there - then the ISP, etc.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Croftie
(member) Mon 21-May-12 01:15:19
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
Even different servers, on the same speedtest site, produce wildly different results (which is why we can no longer rely on Speedtest.net - which always used to be so reliable, albeit a little generous).

I agree different speedtest.net servers give different results. I do not agree however that the results cannot be trusted, because while there are many speedtest.net servers that don't give acccurate results, there are some that do.

Regardless of the teser, you can trust it's results as long as you have verified them. For me, certain speedtest.net servers are spot on for download and slightly conservative for upload. That's the best I can glean from speedtest.net servers specificaly.

Other sites, which do and do not use the Ookla system, are spot on for both up and down.

Getting accurate results, regardless of where you get them, is all about monitoring the testing proccess and comparing it to real file transfers. Then it is obvious what is accurate and what is not.

If only BT were capable of providing an accurate platform for finding out what our connection is capable of... speedtester.bt.com could be that platform but clearly, at the moment, it is not.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Mon 21-May-12 01:25:38
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

Perfectly easy to tell if Speedtest is maxing your line, ping something and if the pings go up your line is being maxed.

Oh and I did also test all the UK speedtest servers a while ago here
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-May-12 20:19:58
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Croftie:
Getting accurate results, regardless of where you get them, is all about monitoring the testing proccess and comparing it to real file transfers.

Indeed; and finding a speedtest site (and server), that works for you (i.e. correlates to your real World up/down speeds - validated by multi-thread downloads) and sticking to it, comparing like-for-like results.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User RobCW
(newbie) Wed 23-May-12 09:19:08
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Well i am still stumped frown I am still only seeing around 40-45Mbps on any standard download (e.g single thread), BBC iplayer download, etc. I am on BT Infinity 2 (80/20) package and was estimated at 76/20.

I ran some speed tests last night (all close together) and following are the results I got:

BT speedtester: 70Mbps/10.13Mbps (ip profile 77.43 down and 20 up)
BBMax: 74938kbps / 12139kbps
Speedtest.net (Dublin): 58.88Mbps / 10.18Mbps (I live in Belfast and this seems best one)
Visualware Single Threaded: 48.1Mbps / 17.0Mbps - http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/db/report?id=44...
Visualware Multi-threaded: 74Mbps / 17.0Mbps - http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/db/report?id=44...
TBB speedtest: 57.7Mbps / 4.6Mbps

The single threaded Visualware test is about as high as i have ever got. Its usually around 40Mbps matching the file download and BBC iplayer download i see.

I'm running the tests over ethernet connected direct to the BT Home Hub (so no wifi or powerlines) and get similar results at any time of day.

Any ideas anyone? I notice when i compare my visualware results with Ade's my download speed graph seems to fluctuate a lot more and the TCP pause graph shows a lot more pauses. Not sure what this means though....

Thanks

Rob
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Wed 23-May-12 10:07:36
Print Post

[re: RobCW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobCW:
Any ideas anyone? I notice when i compare my visualware results with Ade's my download speed graph seems to fluctuate a lot more and the TCP pause graph shows a lot more pauses. Not sure what this means though....

My guess is
1) Congestion or
2) Your PC, firewall, or other software has problems handling the full speed
Standard User RobCW
(newbie) Wed 23-May-12 22:37:46
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

Cheers, yeah those were my thoughts too. Hoping to try a different PC tomorrow so will see if i get different results.

Other than that the only other idea I had was that it might somehow have been caused by the fact I had my master socket moved whenever I had Infinity installed and that maybe there is something dodgy with my wiring to that new socket that is causing problems with the higher speeds.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 24-May-12 00:11:51
Print Post

[re: RobCW] [link to this post]

maybe there is something dodgy with my wiring to that new socket that is causing problems with the higher speeds.

wouldn't explain why some speed tests get it and others don't ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jun-12 10:17:29
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philippercival:
It looks to me as though my download speed is somehow locked at 40Mbps.
I was doing okay on my IDNet 80/20 until last Tuesday (19th June). Since then testers and downloads struggle to get above 30Mb/s. There is some evidence of spiking up to 70Mb/s but they could just as easily by measuring glitches. Speed is now all over the place rather than being consistent. The TBQM graphs show that since that Tuesday I've had continuous low level spikes in maximum latency whereas before that time there's almost nothing showing during the day when no-one is using the connection.

IDNet support are still working through it with me (well..they still reply to emails with suggestions of things to try) but have indicated their scepticism about resolving it. They are basically trotting out the BT mantra that anything over 12Mb/s is fine. This on a line with a 76.7/20 Mb/s profile frown

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to