General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User davestubbs
(regular) Thu 03-May-12 14:49:43
Print Post

Upload Speeds Doubled, Downloads didn't ? FTTC

[link to this post]

Just recently (last week in fact) regraded my account from the 10/40 to 20/80 product and before the upgrade I was getting around 8mbps up and 38mbps down, after the upgrade I'm getting 16mbps up but only just reaching 40mbps down (occassionally).

But when I put in my phone line details on BT's site they say I should get 20mbps up and 56mbps down (within 1 or 2 mbps).

If there is an increase in the upload speed should I not see an increase in the donwload speed as well, and it's nowhere near the BT predicted value so what are the things I should do to try and resolve this (if it can be of course). I'm happy with the upload speed now (VPN to the office is pretty slick) just would like to see the full benefit of the extra cost.

I've unlocked the BT router so I'm going to capture all the stats from there shortly (once I can work out how that is supposed to work), I'm not seeing anything obvious from the commands I've used so far.

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already, I have noted users of the 20/80 product getting variable results so is this just a case of my cabinet is one of the less happy ones?

Appreciate any help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-May-12 14:54:42
Print Post

Re: Upload Speeds Doubled, Downloads didn't ? FTTC

[re: davestubbs] [link to this post]

The upstream can behave differently to the downstream, they use different frequencies, so your situation is not impossible.

Connection stats from the modem would help in understanding of course.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-May-12 15:47:30
Print Post

In the command prompt window in Windows:-

telnet 192.168.1.1
(login as per the instructions for unlocking)
sh
xdslcmd info --stats

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 03-May-12 15:47:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User truex360
(learned) Thu 03-May-12 18:10:32
Print Post

got the same issue and couple of others have to but we are on a different ISP there still trying to figure it out

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC (When BT Fix it_)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-May-12 21:57:16
Print Post

I had exactly the same problem, a reboot of the modem sorted it out though smile
Standard User truex360
(learned) Thu 03-May-12 22:04:05
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

reboot didnt work for me

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC (When BT Fix it_)
Standard User davestubbs
(regular) Thu 03-May-12 23:33:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Tried rebooting several times, get exactly the same result.

Been collecting stats now for the last 8 hours. Here's what I have, all staying pretty conststent....

Attainable rate ~74000 down, 30000 up
Sync speed ~74000 down, 20000 up.
SNR Margin 6 down, 15 Up
CRC errors - None
FEC errors - 3 over the 8 hour sample
HEC errors - None
Interleaving depth - I think this is saying 1 constantly

Not sure what I should be looking for, but nothing strikes me as odd.

I'm on Web Tapestry BTW
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-May-12 23:38:42
Print Post

Interesting like myself your with a different internet supplier than BT . From,what I have read modem reboots seem to work for anyone on BT .
Standard User davestubbs
(regular) Fri 04-May-12 11:28:09
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Another 12 hours of stats and all have stayed the same.

Is there anything to be learned from those numbers that would give me reason to think something isn't working somewhere upstream, for example if the ISP was throttling beyond the exchange?
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-May-12 16:45:44
Print Post

Stats seem to indicate you're connected at nearly full speed (74Mbps as opposed to 80Mbps), so that doesn't appear to be the issue (unless your connection keeps dropping and reconnecting at a much lower speed).

You haven't mentioned your IP profile (get this from doing a BT speedtest).

Have you tried a multi-thread download (grab the 1GB test file from the TBB site but download it using a download manager - Free Download Manager will let you split into several parts simultaneous download - IIRC the TBB server allows the 1GB file to be split into 12 threads/parts for downloading).

As a rough indication, if I download the 1GB test file, from TBB, using Internet Explorer (i.e. a single thread download) my 80Mbps connection manages a little over 10Mbps.
If I download the same file, from the same server, but using a download manager (splitting the file into 12 parts) it maxes out my 80Mbps connection.

This, to me, indicates either BT is throttling (can't be congested as pings are fine, and pings are badly affected by congested ISP networks but not by throttled networks) or the TBB server is only able to upload each thread at around 10Mbps (which I highly doubt).

This will check to see if it's your overall connection/download speed which is poor, or whether you're somehow being limited on the download rate of each thread (some may call this throttling).

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Fri 04-May-12 16:51:12)

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Fri 04-May-12 17:20:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by davestubbs:
I'm on Web Tapestry BTW

I don't know anything about Web Tapestry at all.
However, some ISPs have a throughput profile which differs to the BT IP Profile.

e.g. Plusnet:-

Users on the up to 40Mb service tend to have a Plusnet profile of 37Mb.
When being switched to the 80 Mb service, Plusnet's profile can sometimes stick at 37Mb, so regardless of much higher sync speeds, the higher throughput is not achieved.

Plusnet have an "unlimited" speed profile that should be used for up to 80 Mb throughput.
This "unlimited" profile is strangely named 20Mb (don't ask).

I wonder if Web Tapestry have a similar setup, where the throughput profile also need uncapping to enable up to 80 Mb throughput speeds?
Standard User truex360
(learned) Fri 04-May-12 17:28:49
Print Post

have a read of the below thread . i had same issue its taken my isp two weeks to get it fixed with entanet / btw. Just waiting to find out route cause but i believe it to be mismatch profiles etc. speak to you isp and find out if they use BTW or entanet as i think it will be entanet its highly likely same issue

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4115237-nee...

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC

Edited by truex360 (Fri 04-May-12 17:35:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-May-12 17:29:43
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
I wonder if Web Tapestry have a similar setup, where the throughput profile also need uncapping to enable up to 80 Mb throughput speeds?
It has come to light in the last couple of days that there could have been something up with one or more Enta WBC MSILs, limiting the throughput per connection to 40Mbps quite independent of the Enta copy IP Profile. Fixed this afternoon.

I have no idea whether Web Tapestry use Enta, or have their own MSILs, or whatever. But possibly the same problem?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-May-12 17:30:31
Print Post

[re: truex360] [link to this post]

Snap smile!

Standard User truex360
(learned) Fri 04-May-12 17:33:15
Print Post

Ive just asked martin from aquiss if they have given a reason but hes still waiting for answers but its looking more and more like entanet if webtap uses it as well

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC
Standard User davestubbs
(member) Sat 05-May-12 12:24:56
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Only just got the speed tester to work.

Ip profile is 69.97 down and 20 up. So I'm guessing I should be able to achieve much faster speeds than I'm currently getting.

I'm relying mostly on speedtest.net to check the speeds as this seems pretty much the best to use as long as I pick a site that responds well, maidenhead seems pretty good for me.

So armed with all this I probably have enough to go back to my ISP to work out what's wrong.

Anything else I should know or consider?
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-May-12 12:36:25
Print Post

I'm relying mostly on speedtest.net to check the speeds

To give a better idea of the actual download speed available to you (you've mentioned struggling to get past 40Mbps on a 70Mbps IP profile), try using FreeDownloadManager to download the TBB 1GB test file.
A download manager will use multiple threads up to a maximum (dicated by the server or the download software - whichever has the lower limit).
For the TBB test files, you're allowed up to 12 threads (download manager will start with just one, get it going then open up the maximum number of threads for simultaneous download.

See what total speed you're getting (the download manager will normally report this in KB/s. Just in case you're seeing the same as I (maximum line speed for multiple downloads but a much reduced speed for single thread downloads - such as the TBB speedtest and general downloading).
For the 1GB TBB test file, I get around 900 KB/s (about 7.2Mbps) for a single thread, rising to around 8800 KB/s (about 70Mbps) when all 12 threads kick in.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 12:44:27
Print Post

tbbmeter lets you do it all in one, and avoids disk speed limts as the test files are not written to disk

Currently supports up to 6 threads, had to abandon some development on a VM 50 Meg line due to congestion

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-May-12 13:18:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
tbbmeter lets you do it all in one, and avoids disk speed limts as the test files are not written to disk

My copy seemed to be at a default setting two threads (adjusted via 'test options window' up to five threads - can't see an option for six). This increased the multi-thread test file from 10MB to 25MB (I assume it's preset for 5MB per thread).

The results window says something like (it disappeared too quickly) "you downloaded in 15.5 seconds using 0 threads at a total speed of 13.5 Mbps, total download was 26.2MB".
So; five threads; 13.5Mbps total = 2.7Mbps per thread.
Using a download manager to download the 20MB test file (20MB / 5 threads = 4MB per thread - so pretty close to that of TBB meter) and I get a peak on the TBBmeter graph of around 40Mbps, but it's all over so quickly.

Something doesn't add up.
TBBmeter is supposedly downloading a 25MB file, split into five threads and manages around 2.7Mbps per thread.
Download manager gets around 7.7Mbps per thread (for the 20MB test file over five threads).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 13:22:25
Print Post

Actually tbbmeter does 5 x 5MB files.

Will fire my dev machine up later, and change the number of threads, part of the evolving of average speeds.

Standard User davestubbs
(member) Sat 05-May-12 19:29:42
Print Post

OK, I've used both tools, the download manager never gets above 4900KB/s (so ~ 38Mbps), and I can see that in the tbmeter while it's running.

Interestingly tbmeter does show one peak of 53Nbps, but I guess that must be a statistical anomoly as it only every happened the once and right in the middle of the transfer.

The tbmeter monitored download was nothing like as consistent with the download as the download manager was though, the rate fluctuated up and down widely from 16 to 40 Mbps over the course of the download.

I re ran the download manager test, this time setting the tbmeter frequency to 1/4 second and I didn't get the same flat profile as before, it jumps about a lot but does list spikes of up to 48 Mbps, though never more than two of these in a row, so the sustained transfer rate is still sub 40 Mbps.

Is it possible that tbmeter is just misreporting the stats, or is the throughput really that eratic.

No other monitoring tool has ever reported anything over 41 Mbps.

I just need to be clear on what I'm seeing here before I put all this evidence together and report to my ISP.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-May-12 20:11:47
Print Post

The tbmeter monitored download was nothing like as consistent with the download as the download manager was though

I've seen the same.
With the TBB multi-thread (5 threads) 25MB download, compared to a 20MB (5 thread) download, from the TBB site, but using a download manager to do the 20MB file, I see typical download speeds of 12.5Mbps from the TBB meter download (can vary maybe 2Mbps either side, but I haven't yet seen a TBBmeter multi-thread download go higher than around 15Mbps). Yet with a TBB sourced 20MB file, split into 5 threads using a download manager and downloaded seconds later, I get around 32Mbps.
This is repeatable. Time and again I get at least 2-3 times the download speed from a download manager, as from TBBmeter (I'm glad I'm not the only one to be seeing this) and the graph in TBBmeter reflects this difference (so it's not simple a case of the download manager giving a false download speed, or the TBBmeter giving a false download result in the opposite direction).

The 20MB download (using the download manager) appears on TBBmeter as a larger spike with less than half the duration (even accounting for the 5MB file size difference) as the 25MB download initiated by TBBmeter itself.

To equalize things I set TBBmeter to 4 threads (to get it to select a 20MB file for its multi-thread download test).
TBBmeter downloaded in 16.3 seconds (a download speed of 10.292Mbps).
My download manager did the 20MB TBB test file, again with 4 threads, in under half the time and at more than double the speed.

It seems it's better to go by the download manager than TBBmeter (at least for checking download speeds - single thread or otherwise).
I have no explanation for the difference (over to Andrew for more investigation work - not that he's anything better to do wink).

If it were possible to imbed images into this forum I could post a screen-shot of the TBBmeter graph.

One assumes the TBBmeter is getting its test file from the same server as the TBB 20MB download test file.

To test the actual capability of my line I downloaded the TBB 512MB file, using a download manager set to 20 threads, and got a download speed of a little over 73Mbps (so nothing wrong with the line nor the ability of the TBB servers to upload at high speeds).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 05-May-12 20:17:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 21:19:59
Print Post

The fact it takes 20 threads to fill the link is very telling, as same code on other providers has of late shown speeds of over 200 Mbps from same sources.

I would not be surprised if my multithreading is not as effecient as the download managers.

The weight of evidence is leaning towards something I've seen before and that is at times of congestion BT wholesale services tend to throttle single thread type downloads.

Alas while full time around here now, there are so many jobs to get done.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-May-12 21:29:19
Print Post

The weight of evidence is leaning towards something I've seen before and that is at times of congestion BT wholesale services tend to throttle single thread type downloads.

Which is pretty much what I've been saying all along and I seriously doubt if any amount of phone calls to BT Retail's help line in India will get around a BT Wholesale single thread throttle frown
It's not a massive issue as most large downloads can be performed by a download manager, but it's been particularly bad since BT rolled out 80/20. Up until a few weeks ago I was getting much higher single thread speeds and only the occasional sign of throttling (now the throttle seems to kick in at 5pm weekdays and all weekend).
I hope it doesn't get any worse (as most of us are locked into stupidly long contracts - the sign of a poor ISP is needing to force customers to stay, rather than assuring customers stay because the service is so good).

Alas while full time around here now, there are so many jobs to get done.

I know the feeling!

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-May-12 22:19:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by adebov:
Which is pretty much what I've been saying all along and I seriously doubt if any amount of phone calls to BT Retail's help line in India will get around a BT Wholesale single thread throttle frown

Are you saying the throttling is in the WBC network then? Surely this should be hard to determine given every packet is encapsulated in PPPoE frames? (or PPPoA on ADSL) ??

I hope it doesn't get any worse (as most of us are locked into stupidly long contracts - the sign of a poor ISP is needing to force customers to stay, rather than assuring customers stay because the service is so good).

If it is WBC rather than GEA implemented - then people on TalkTalk and/or Sky shouldn't see this - but people on ADSL24 / IDNet / PlusNet should.

Any more data yet?

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (originally Mar 2011) THFB PCP 5 - hope for 21st May to 1 June !
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-May-12 23:25:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Are you saying the throttling is in the WBC network then? Surely this should be hard to determine given every packet is encapsulated in PPPoE frames? (or PPPoA on ADSL) ??

I don't know. Probably depends on whether BT is able to tell the destination IP (and thus; that's it's one of theirs) and implement the throttle that way.
It's either that or I'm imagining it and I actually have 75Mbps speeds on single download threads (and TBBmeter is lying in reporting anywhere between 2.5 to 15Mbps per thread, along with various speedtesters and download managers).
Something MUST be going on (affecting the download speed of each thread). The line is able to go at full speed, if I get enough threads going. It's also able to get full speed, via speedtesters, providing it's during the normal working day.
I'm struggling to think of any explanation, other than a peak time single thread speed cap, which would cause speeds to suddenly plummet at around 5pm weekdays (also rubbish speeds right through the weekend, from 5pm Friday) whilst full speed is still attainable via multi-thread downloads.
I've yet to see a router/modem/software/pc/anti-virus fault which only presents itself during evenings & weekends.

If it is WBC rather than GEA implemented - then people on TalkTalk and/or Sky shouldn't see this - but people on ADSL24 / IDNet / PlusNet should.

There are reports, on these forums, from the odd few customers on FTTC seeing poor speeds.

The thing is there are so few reports, at this stage, that it's equally possible BT have a bad-boy throttle.
It's certainly not widespread (which also made me think of exchange or even cabinet throttles, if capacity is about to be exceeded).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-May-12 09:33:25
Print Post

For what it's I don't see any issues on my download. TBB is usually a tad lower than other testers but that's normal. The upload result is still wrong but that's a different thread. I'm with IDNet and so far have no reason to suspect that anyone anywhere is throttling me.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-May-12 11:12:11
Print Post

I don't know. Probably depends on whether BT is able to tell the destination IP (and thus; that's it's one of theirs) and implement the throttle that way.

Then I would hazard a guess that any throttle is on the BTretail / Infinity part of the connection, not the OR street level or WBC backhaul parts ??

There are reports, on these forums, from the odd few customers on FTTC seeing poor speeds.

But are they all Infinity or WBC users, or are they TalkTalk and Sky users too?

Or is it that we don't have enough data yet?

No FTTC cabinet yet (originally Mar 2011) THFB PCP 5 - hope for 21st May to 1 June !
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-May-12 16:08:36
Print Post

Or is it that we don't have enough data yet?

Nail on the head!
Too few Sky FTTC customers for any useful information there (same may apply to Talk Talk, but given TT's appalling reputation with ADSL I guess any TT customer will to overjoyed with whatever fibre speed they can get).

Andrue is on the same exchange as I (although he's in a neighbouring town, their cabinets are connected, by fibre, to our exchange so he'll be using the same WBC back-haul, out of the exchange) and he only reports the odd issue with upload speed (but that could be more to do with the TBB speedtester, rather than an actual upload speed issue). So that kind of rules out exchange back-haul as a reason to throttle.

I've no idea how many people are activated on our cabinet, but we're right on the edge of town with very poor ADSL speeds so I'd have thought take-up would be higher than on cabinets nearer the exchange.
So cabinet back-haul is still a possibility and we know OR set a default limit for the cabinet link (to the exchange) with a view to having an easy future upgrade path should cabinet take-up be higher than expected.

I don't know whether IDnet are simply reselling a BT retail product, or using their own transit links / pipes (or whatever they're called this week).

So we're still looking at cabinet congestion (I don't know if BTw have a mechanism for throttling connections at cabinet level (I rather suspect they do - I mean; you can set QOS on many domestic routers so it seems unthinkable a similar facility won't be included in the Huawei equipment in the cabs).
Or BTw/Retail throttling (I doubt this as there are enough people, on Infinity, reporting no speed issues to take the view this isn't happening).
Then we have so called bad-boy throttling (from a service which is supposed to be unlimited with the FUP removed last April).

I haven't received an e-mail, from BT, suggesting I'm over their FUP so will have restricted speeds this month (any 'decent' ISP would surely warn users if they're downloading too much).
In any case; I don't think I've been anywhere near the old 300GB FUP so that (coupled with the fact there's not even supposed to be an FUP) should rule out a bad-boy pipe or bad-boy throttle.

So still undecided and nowhere near enough data to form a conclusion.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 06-May-12 16:10:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-May-12 19:26:32
Print Post

I am not aware of any ISP re-selling BT Retail. IDNet certainly do not and never have. They use WBC for FTTC just like all ISPs except TT and Sky. IDNet have their own MSILs, the WBC equivalent of 20CN BT Centrals.

BT Wholesale have no direct control over the cabinet DSLAMs. Unlike the DSLAMs/MSANs in the exchanges, where BT Wholesale have their own like any LLU supplier. The cabinet DSLAMs are Openreach. BTW will be able to set the QOS settings as specified in SIN 498, sections 2.1.5 and 2.2.7. But that isn't throttling as such. As I read it, it is prioritising VOIP and suchlike.

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Sun 06-May-12 19:50:05
Print Post

Indeed, the "bad boy" throttle was supposed to have been removed over a year ago and I'm yet to see any indication otherwise.

My connection's exceeded 640GB in the last week alone (it appears my flatmate's managed to accidentally bypass BT's P2P upload shaping) and I'm not seeing any signs of a throttle.

Incidentally there *is* a way to tell if shaping/capping/congestion is happening at the BTw or cabinet level - but it requires a hacked modem. With a hacked modem, you can set the VLAN 301 interface to be accessible to your LAN devices, and ping the default gateway on there.

That device (in my case Juniper networks kit) will be in the exchange to which your cab is backhauled (presumably at the NGA handover node), and data to/from it will not go over your PPPoE link or the BTw network.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Sun 06-May-12 19:56:14)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-May-12 20:12:38
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

I seriously doubt BT Retail can afford to install 1000+ Junipers, more likely to be one in 16 major nodes around UK

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-May-12 20:15:03
Print Post

16? Not 20?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-May-12 20:33:09
Print Post

A number around that figure, the number of nodes has slipped my mind

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-May-12 21:10:45
Print Post

Well all of that; coupled with other posts indicating the FUP and bad-boy throttle was, indeed, removed a year ago is all the more confusing (because I'm running out of options as to why I can hit full line speed with multi-thread downloads and struggle to get single threads above about 16Mbps during peak time).

The fact I can get single threads well in excess of 16Mbps during the working week kind of rules out my equipment (PC, router, modem, AV software, etc.).

So the only thing I'm now left with is loads of people off my cabinet using VOIP and streaming all evening, every evening, and all weekend; or someone hacking into my wireless network at almost exactly 5pm weekdays and somehow avoiding their device appearing in the connected devices section of the HH web-pages.

Basically at a loss and still can't think how ringing India will help (as they'll only blame something my end and wind up sending me a new HH, because I won't be able to get through to them that the connection is fine during the day).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Sun 06-May-12 21:19:07
Print Post

I'm not sure where it is, but I'd be curious to see what other people's results are.

Mine responds in 4.7ms, about 1.5ms lower than the BRAS so I presume they're not in the same location. Ignition was the one who suggested at the NGA handover.

Next guess, Tier 1 MSAN/metro node?

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Sun 06-May-12 21:23:40)

Standard User thomaswarne01
(regular) Sun 06-May-12 21:41:54
Print Post

Not being funny, and not read all the text but has the OP tested their connection via wireless or ethernet (LAN)?
And if via wireless try via ethernet it shoulc give real true results.

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Sun 06-May-12 21:45:10
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

Funny you say that, this afternoon I got thrown off thinking there was a problem with my router when my desktop on wired gigabit ethernet was only getting 5mbps. Later figured out it was the desktop's ethernet driver when my laptop was getting full speed wirelessly at the far end of the building.

Moral of the story - wired isn't universally better, it's got its fair share of bugs, dodgy driver settings and inconsistencies.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-May-12 22:37:31
Print Post

And now (presumably because it's getting late on a Sunday evening), we're back to almost normal.

Speedtest.net result

Even the TBB tester is coming back with at least twice the speed it has since 5pm on Friday. The upload is still about 10Mbps down on my actual upload speed (but many of us are seeing that issue).
My Broadband Speed Test

Not only that, but the TBBmeter mutli-thread download test has just come back with a 42Mbps result (around 30Mbps higher than it's been all weekend).

Surely this rules out equipment/software issues at my end and points the finger firmly back to a peak-time (which for domestic connections is outside working hours) throttle of some kind.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-May-12 23:09:05
Print Post

I don't think it will be at the GEA handover at the exchange. More likely at the MSIL that you go through out of WBC into the BT Retail network. Barring network fault conditions, that is a fixed point.

There is a comparable setup on Entanet, where somehow they restrict that throughput for all on that node. Importantly I think they do it top-down, i.e.reduce the highest speed allowed on the node/MSIL.

You can see the Entanet ones here. (Don't forget, these are the Enta MSILs. Every WBC-using ISP has their own so there is no load correlation between ISPs. It depends entirely on the contracted throughput the ISP has arranged with BT Wholesale for each individual MSIL).

Somewhere in the SINs, IIRC, is a margin for over-use. Let's call it "m". (Unlike Centrals, MSILs are unlikely to fill up. Unless perhaps yours has?)

As I understand it there are 1Gbps and 10Gbps MSILs. Just for example, I'll use 1Gbps. The ISP has contracted for say 600Mbps. If demand rises above that the extra capacity is automatically there, so far as BTW are concerned. It is provided until of course it reached 1Gbps.

However, up to 600+m% the charge is pro-rata. Above 600+m% the charge is much higher. A penal rate.

I see two possibilities. First your MSIL is reaching capacity due to unexpected demand caused by high 80/20 takeup. Or second, the same effect as it somehow gets throttled to 40Mbps as it approaches 100% of contracted. Then lower if necessary, as demand is rising rapidly these days. Queuing effects will also be present, so even at a 40Mbps MSIL cap you won't get anywhere near that. Motorway slowdown syndrome.

Standard User philippercival
(committed) Sun 06-May-12 23:36:52
Print Post

Following this thread as I am rather disappointed with the result of upgrading from 40/10 to 80/20 with Enta.

My speed test results can be seen here, both through speedtest and the BT tester.

Enta technical support did give me a test login, which gave the best speeds I have ever achieved according to Speedtest.net, But with the BT speedtester it did no9t really make much difference.

It looks to me as though my download speed is somehow locked at 40Mbps.

Would be interested in others views and possible solutions. Enta has passed it to their support team, however say it may take three weeks to solve it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-May-12 23:40:04
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philippercival:
Following this thread as I am rather disappointed with the result of upgrading from 40/10 to 80/20 with Enta.
Have you read this thread? It seems it got resolved for two users there. Which reseller are you with?

(committed) Sun 06-May-12 23:51:28
Print Post

Thank you for your response.

I am following that one as well.

I will re-read it to see if I can find out a definite diagnosis.

I am with Vivaciti, but have not involved them yet as technical support for FTTC products go straight though to Enta.
Standard User truex360
(learned) Mon 07-May-12 00:15:50
Print Post

the problem is def with entanet/btw still waiting for what the root cause as its a bank hol . will ask what the cause is next week but martin from aquiss might put a post up

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC
My Broadband Speed Test
Upload is 16 smile
(committed) Mon 07-May-12 00:25:14
Print Post

[re: truex360] [link to this post]

Thank you. It was reading your original post which provoked me to test further and contact Enta.

So far they have accepted my ticket and said they have passed it to their "In House Team" for monitoring and warned that it may take three weeks to resolve. Hence me wondering if they was anything I could do in terms of information to speed it up.

After the bank holiday I might suggest to Vivaciti that they give Martin a quick ring, if they have not come across similar problems as I am sure with the right info it could be sorted in minutes. Meanwhile I will keep on using the BT speedtester and keeping the results.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Mon 07-May-12 01:20:18
Print Post

Enta technical support did give me a test login, which gave the best speeds I have ever achieved according to Speedtest.net, But with the BT speedtester it did no9t really make much difference.

The BT Speedtester has it's own (server-side) issues, I would not trust it.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-12 10:09:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I see two possibilities. First your MSIL is reaching capacity due to unexpected demand caused by high 80/20 takeup. Or second, the same effect as it somehow gets throttled to 40Mbps as it approaches 100% of contracted. Then lower if necessary, as demand is rising rapidly these days. Queuing effects will also be present, so even at a 40Mbps MSIL cap you won't get anywhere near that. Motorway slowdown syndrome.

Well it's either that (an intentional throttle/speed cap - seems to be variable, Entanet style - as capacity is reached) or the bad-boy throttle & FUP is still in place (and BT 'forgot' to e-mail me last month saying I'd used too much), but I don't recall using anything like the old 300GB FUP trigger level, that's a heck of a lot of pirated movies, iPlayer and radio streaming (sorry..."Linux distro downloads").

In any case; we're back to being sub-ADSL2+ speeds again (certainly on download, anyway).
TBB speedtests are becoming a pain (really long time to get a result, mainly because at the very start of the test I get a short high speed burst, over 64Mbps, prompting the TBB test to try a massive file. Then the data speed drops to well below 20Mbps for the remainder of the test - meaning it takes an age to complete).
Still; waiting long enough does produce a result. For the first time (in I don't know how long) the TBB download test agrees with a Speedtest.net result (upload is still way down, but that's another on-going issue which seems completely unrelated to BT's throttling).
TBBmeter FTP upload test reports 15944.5kbps (so 16Mbps, as near as makes no difference), so the low upload result is purely an issue with the TBB speedtest.
My Broadband Speed Test

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 07-May-12 10:13:51
Print Post

Well it's either that (an intentional throttle/speed cap - seems to be variable, Entanet style - as capacity is reached) or the bad-boy throttle & FUP is still in place (and BT 'forgot' to e-mail me last month saying I'd used too much), but I don't recall using anything like the old 300GB FUP trigger level, that's a heck of a lot of pirated movies, iPlayer and radio streaming (sorry..."Linux distro downloads").

In any case; we're back to being sub-ADSL2+ speeds again (certainly on download, anyway).
Sorry, remind me - did you hack the modem yet?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-12 10:14:57
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes.
Or to anyone from BT (who may be watching), erm...no.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 07-May-12 10:29:02
Print Post

Did you disable vlan 301?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-12 11:34:12
Print Post

Got to be worth a try. I'll do so and report the results.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 07-May-12 11:37:17
Print Post

Did you disable QOS too?

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-12 11:45:59
Print Post

I'll do it at the same time.
Any other pointers while I'm logging into the thing?

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 07-May-12 12:00:06
Print Post

That was it I think. I actually converted it to a router and put the HH3 back in it's box...

Lets see
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I now have got a modem/router which is:

handling the pppoe session,
the firewall is off,
QOS is off,
UPNP is on,
TR069 is off,
logging is on,
DHCP is handing out addresses,
and both lan ports are in use.
The firewall is back on using custom settings, once I discovered the GUI was available across the Internet blush

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 07-May-12 12:11:44)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-May-12 14:11:42
Print Post

Well it's either a coincidence, or disabling VLAN301 and QOS seemed to do the trick...

Speedtest.net result.

TBB result (still a little low on download, and about half the upload, but that's fairly common these days)...
My Broadband Speed Test

Still; early days yet!

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
(experienced) Wed 09-May-12 21:36:21
Print Post

Something has happened and I know Enta have pushed out a fix.

My speeds have definitely gone up.

According to the BT speed test my profile on the 80/20 service is 64.42/20

I am actually achieving 48/12.96 At the time of day when the family tariff has priority.

I have not hacked the modem so have no idea what all the critical figures are but can anyone hazard a guess as to whether or not it should do better i.e. nearer the 64.4 mark.

I appreciate it may be just that the BT tester is overloaded as speedtest.net shows 58.3/11.64

Thanks in anticipation.
Standard User RobCW
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 22:49:12
Print Post

Just wondered if you were still having these same problems or if this seemed to completely resolve the issue?

I have BT Infinity 80/20 and have been really frustrated with very slow downloads on evenings and weekends. My Sky Anytime+ downloads on Sky HD box are also really slow too although interestingly BBC iPlayer isn't too bad.

I tried downloading the thinkbroadband test files using the download manager application as per your previous posts and this seemed to suddenly utilise close to my full 76mbps connection. But single threaded they are much much slower again as per what you seemed to be getting.

Would love to know if there is any way to get round this!
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-May-12 00:19:34
Print Post

[re: RobCW] [link to this post]

Nope; still having problems with single thread downloads.
Typically getting around 11Mbps (even at gone midnight) on single thread downloads of the TBB test files.
TBBmeter is giving similar results (even in multi-thread mode - the only way I can max out my connection is using Usenet or a download manager).
Speedtest.net (and the flash based speedtesters) are giving results similar to my line speed (around 77Mbps down / 17Mbps up), TBB speedtester is giving less than 40Mbps down and only around 6Mbps up.

So, once again, either BT seem to be throttling single thread downloads or something's awry with TBB tools or their links to BT (or BT are throttling the TBB speedtester protocol/port).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Al1264
(learned) Thu 17-May-12 00:30:12
Print Post

Quite prepared to be 'shot down in flames' but could the single thread download issue not simply be due to the rate that the source can serve the data?
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-May-12 08:35:56
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Al1264:
Quite prepared to be 'shot down in flames' but could the single thread download issue not simply be due to the rate that the source can serve the data?

We're told the TBB servers are more than capable of serving out speedtest data in excess of 100Mbps and the same for the test files.
I'm not sure of the effects if enough of us were trying speedtests or download files at the same time.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User RobCW
(newbie) Thu 17-May-12 10:18:28
Print Post

Thanks. It is very strange - I was trying the mirror.nl.leaseweb.net site too last night and getting pretty much the same download file speed as TBB downloads (around 10 to 15 Mbps). Tried again this morning and now getting around 45-50 Mbps single threaded. Although TBB is still no faster.

Unless its the various servers not being able to handle at peak times I can only agree it must be BT doing something.
Standard User davestubbs
(member) Fri 18-May-12 12:05:11
Print Post

Sounds a little more promising, I'm still waiting for Web Tapestry to come back to me at the moment so no progress on mine still being stuck at 40Mbps.

Interestingly, Web Tapestry are only interested in the speed the bt speedchecker gives, though at least that does tell them the line should be capable of up to 70Mbps and as I'm only getting 40 I hope that's enough to generate some activity.....!
(experienced) Fri 18-May-12 13:17:20
Print Post

My Speeds have definietely improved, after a fix that I think ENTA has pushed out to all its nodes by now, though I am not sure what the fix actually was.

My BT Speedtest gives me a profile of 64.42 down and 20 Up.

The BT speed checker has never come closer than 59Mbps down, though speedtest.net has shown up to 60.63Mbps.

Interestingly when I was talking to my ISP support desk, they told me something that I think rather makes a mockery of all this and I had not read before signing up and still can find no reference to on their site. Because I am on the family 30 product, BT applies some sort of limiter to me from 8:00am to 8:00pm. From 8:00pm to midnight my traffic is a top priority and so I should achieve my speeds (this was when the ISP wanted me to do tests). From Midnight to 8:00am it is a free for all for both business and home users.

So as far as I can see, 80/20 means

My line length etc will reduce max possible to 64/20
This is not quite actually achievable at the best of times.
Depending on what sort of contract you have you probably further limited according to your type of contract. (In my case I can only achieve the Max for 4 hours a day).

Even if I could find where my terms were listed I think this is a very similar mis-selling argument to the "Up to 8 mbps" that has being going on for ages and something has been done about.

Having said all that FTTC is blindingly fast and I am delighted to be rid of my 3.4mbps at best rate. I do suspect that the network (BT/openreach) may have some capacity issues due to the changeover to FTTC.

Standard User RobCW
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 14:13:38
Print Post

Found this forum while searching for more information on this issue:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-h...

Seems like they are talking about similar issues and getting profile reset resolves the problem? Thoughts? Anyone had this done?
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-May-12 18:54:57
Print Post

Profile issues will be a different problem and not related to low speed single-thread whilst still getting high multi-thread downloads.

I check my IP profile (by doing a BT speedtest) quite regularly and it's always 77.4Mbps (or 77.39Mbps, or whatever equates to an 80Mbps sync).
It's never shifted from that level.

Some ISPs (certainly on old ADSL products) also have their own profiling system (the IP profile advised after a BT speedtest is your IP profile on the BT Wholesale system). If records are not kept up to date, this ISP profile could end up being lower [than the BTW one] and limit the speed, but this will limit total speed and not just single-thread speeds.

We still don't know the real reason, or why single thread downloads are so slow for only a fraction of FTTC customers but with the limited amount of information it does look like a single-thread throttle.
Quite why Speedtest.net reports around 77Mbps down (and 17Mbps up), whilst the TBB tester reports as low as 6Mbps down and rarely gives upload results higher than 7Mbps, is a bit of a mystery.

The mystery deepens when I can run a TBB speedtest on my XP (2002 version, XP-Pro, SP3) laptop and get 50-60Mbps down & 16Mbps up, yet immediately switching back to my W7 desktop gives TBB download test results around 30Mbps (at best) and back to around 6-7Mbps upload.

I think we're seeing two things (which are necessarily related): -
1. Some quirky difference between Java for XP 32-bit and Java for W7 64-bit, which affects the TBB speedtester (no other differences, both machines have exactly the same AV software and both wired Ethernet into the same gigabit switch - if anything; the W7 desktop is the more powerful of the two machines - double the RAM and a 64-bit CPU, with a 64-bit OS).
2. Some odd BT single thread throttle (because low single thread downloads are not confined to TBB).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 18-May-12 19:35:03
Print Post

The whole single thread throttle idea is, in my opinion, wildly off the mark. There's no reason why BT would be throttling single threaded downloads, or any ISP for that matter. The vast majority - including my observations of BT - throttle down to a total speed per customer or per protocol, never per (TCP) connection. Except, maybe when traffic shaping malfunctions.

There are plenty, plenty of other reasons that adequately explain the slowness, including funky interactions between the server, connections between you and the server, as well as the TCP/IP stack of your operating system as you've yourself gathered. There is no single reason and probably the reason for the different testing sources will be different.

All of the reports I've seen so far involve using known bad or unreliable sources, and hence remain inconclusive. The TBB speedtester and file downloads are included in these.

Try these speedtests if you want something known to work (for me) under Windows 7:

http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_ap... (single connection, high port number)
http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_ca... (4 connections)
http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/mycapacity_50mb... (connectionless UDP)

My results, for reference are 51.3/16.6 on the first test and 56.2/16.6 on the second. My IP profile (well not actually, my self-enforced QoS limiter) is equivalent to about 58.5mbps.

Note interestingly I did get a result of 13.9/16.6 once too, which suggests it got inadvertently caught by traffic shaping at one point.or that TCP window scaling broke. Repeating the test a few times gave the 51.3 result.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Fri 18-May-12 19:42:12)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-May-12 21:10:36
Print Post

Unlike you, I'm getting a massive 30Mbps difference between the 1st (single-thread) and 2nd (four thread) testers...

1st test (single thread): -
Download Speed: 44278 kbps
Upload Speed: 18256 kbps
Speed Consistency: 83 %
Round Trip Time: 16 ms
Max Delay: 24 ms
Average Delay: 1 ms
Bandwidth: 71697 kbps
Forced Idle: 56 %
Route Concurrency: 1.6
Test Type: s / s
Round Trip Time Consistency: 94 %

The download speed of this first test is almost exactly the same as the TBB tester
My Broadband Speed Test

2nd test (four threads): -
Download Speed: 74453 kbps
Upload Speed: 18431 kbps
Speed Consistency: 97 %
Round Trip Time: 15 ms
Max Delay: 34 ms
Average Delay: 1 ms
Bandwidth: 76590 kbps
Forced Idle: 62 %
Route Concurrency: 1
Test Type: s / s
Round Trip Time Consistency: 88 %

3rd test: -
Indicates line capacity (with zero % data loss) of 74.1Mbps (based on a target of 75.8Mbps).
When it tries for a target of 80Mbps it gets 74.2Mbps (a quoted data loss of 5.2%).
So, clearly, my line capacity is 74.1Mbps

So, obviously something is limiting the single thread download speed and it's either ISP or wholesale related, or something on the [not particularly tweakable] Windows 7 OS. Or it's something quirky with Java running on a 64-bit OS.

Interestingly; the 1st test results pages says
MSDL01: The download speed is too low for the latency/bandwidth of the connection

This means that download throughput has been recorded lower than the attainable speed for the connection being tested and this degradation is not accounted for by the latency of the connection. This indicates that the connection has data flow interference through congestion or regulation problems.

A high TCP Max Delay and/or a low Data Flow QoS will also confirm any occurrence of data flow quality problems.
(my bold).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 18-May-12 21:39:22
Print Post

Could just be congestion.

I've just repeated the first test a few times, with my QoS limiter off (so just IP profile of ~71.6)

In Firefox, I got 13.7 down, 43.1 down, and 53.6 down on three consecutive runs, in Chrome I got 55.0/18.6. The former appear to have been erroneously traffic shaped or badly managed by Windows.

In the second test I got 68.8/18.6, so yes, a slightly bigger difference there, but still not huge. Thinkbroadband gave me 44.5/5.6

If I download a single file from my server I get a full 71.2mbps throughput showing in DU Meter and 8.2MB/sec in Chrome's UI (ftp://test:[email protected]/) - so no problem with single connection there.

So while I do see a 15mbps reduction on the MCS test server - it could just be server or path congestion. Give my server a try (just don't all go at it at once), see if you get the same difference - I don't, suggesting it's not single-connection throttle.

Note my Windows networking setup is *slightly* tweaked, but I also have a buggy network card driver. Also note my FTP server has a custom socket buffer setting optimized for throughput. Lots of it.

Incidentally from that same server I get 12.7 on the single-threaded test and 53.2. Now I know there's zero traffic shaping or throttling whatsoever on that connection.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Fri 18-May-12 21:54:47)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-May-12 21:59:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by qasdfdsaq:
Could just be congestion.

I've just repeated the first test a few times, with my QoS limiter off (so just IP profile of ~71.6)

Well there does seem to be a little congestion (but given it's 9:50pm on Friday that's probably to be expected).

I've spent some time disabling many of W7's auto-tuning gibberish (which clearly doesn't work too well for fast connections) and have now got 63436 kbps from your single thread recommended tester (an improvement of almost 20Mbps).
TBB is still all over the place, but with my new tweaked settings I've got my first TBB result over 45Mbps. Most TBB results are coming back in the mid 50's (first time I've managed to get over 45Mbps) and the highest is 63.2Mbps.
My Broadband Speed Test

Even TBB's test files are hitting over 50Mbps in single-thread mode (significantly better than the 6-16Mbps I'd been getting previously).

So you were quite right and we can now blame Microsoft's poor auto-tuning and not BT (which still doesn't explain why so few are affected - I'd have thought most W7 users still have all the default auto-tuning settings).

If anyone else feels confident enough, this site gives a very good explanation AND their recommended settings (to override Windows and keep it overridden).

Windows 7 should come with a warning sticker smile

EDIT: Still only 7Mbps upload from the TBB tester, but that appears to be another issue (possibly also OS related, or Java quirks, as I can get well over twice that with XP).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Fri 18-May-12 22:01:57)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-May-12 22:54:41
Print Post

If anyone else feels confident enough, this site gives a very good explanation AND their recommended settings (to override Windows and keep it overridden).

Fascinating.

I wonder if this is related to the asymetric nature. I don't see problems with self installed (from MSDN disc) Win7 in the office on a test network with a Dell server and a Core i3 desktop. I get gigabit speeds.

It could be down to home routers, or ISP routers affecting things and Win7's adjustment not "adjusting" properly - but I read that the Vista network stack was rewritten from XP and earlier - and followed the ideals in the Unix/Linux stacks.

Out of interest what make of NIC do you have/use? I've got Broadcom at home (on a Dell XPS desktop) but Intel at work.

Still good news for you smile

Standard User balami
(committed) Fri 18-May-12 23:16:19
Print Post

Its not that surprising considering the issues encountered in the workplace with various speed issues between all the versions of Microsoft's desktop & server os's.

But I agree you would have thought it would be a more common issue.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-May-12 10:00:14
Print Post

Unlikely to be home/ISP router issue as I get 77/16 Mbps results (even from the TBB speedtester) on an XP laptop plugged into the very same gigabit switch (and, thus, home router/ISP router & everything else is common) yet much lower speeds on my W7 desktop.

It does look, more and more, like an OS issue and Windows 7 doing something quirky with its auto-tuning.

NIC, on the desktop, is a mobo imbedded NVIDIA nForce gigabit LAN controller and Broadcom gigabit NIC on the Dell laptop.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-May-12 20:19:52
Print Post

NIC, on the desktop, is a mobo imbedded NVIDIA nForce gigabit LAN controller and Broadcom gigabit NIC on the Dell laptop.

Ahh, I wonder if the nForce gigabit controller could be the issue. Check in the BIOS for any setting relating to the card - there was something that caused packet loss for people on BE/O2 in 2008/2009 time frame - and a BIOS setting fixed it.

Either that or try fitting a PCI NIC - preferably one with Intel chip smile

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-May-12 21:06:38
Print Post

Either that or try fitting a PCI NIC - preferably one with Intel chip smile

Can't really be bothered to do that. Total download speed (if I use three or more threads) is full line speed so changing my NIC, just to get full speed results on the TBB speedtester, seems a bit of an over-kill.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-May-12 21:30:05
Print Post

Can't really be bothered to do that. Total download speed (if I use three or more threads) is full line speed so changing my NIC, just to get full speed results on the TBB speedtester, seems a bit of an over-kill.

Worth looking in the BIOS though - it was something to do with game optimisation if I recall correctly. It seemed to change the way data was passed from the ethernet controller (within the nForce chipset) to the PCI / PCIe bus.

I guess you've tried this stuff too?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkK0ZZKQzs8

Edited by jchamier (Sat 19-May-12 21:33:04)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 16:52:24
Print Post

Absolutely nothing in the BIOS settings [for the integrated LAN controllers] apart from enable/disable.
In any case; now I've tweaked Windows 7 away from its useless auto-tuning parameters, and onto something which works, I'm getting pretty decent single thread downloads on everything other than the TBB speedtester (which is still around 20Mbps lower than actual download speeds and also an alternative single thread Java speedtest site).

My connection server tools @ visualware.com single threaded speedtest (using Java) gives a result of 70496kbps
TBB's single thread Java speedtest gives 56150kbps.
My Broadband Speed Test

As a comparison;
My connection server tools @ visualware.com's multi-threaded speedtest (using Java) gives a result of 74461kbps (pretty close to their single thread test result).

Now I've tweaked Windows 7 (telling it not to do some of the stuff it does so badly) it's looking more, and more, like the TBB test server is either underperforming, is over-loaded or is being throttled (TBB say they've previously seen evidence their protocol is being throttled by BT).

Still haven't got to grips with the apparent 7Mbps upload limit on the TBB tester when using my W7-64bit PC (when it gives 17Mbps on my XP-32bit laptop and practically every other upload test - including FTP upload test using TBB tools gives 13Mbps+).

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 20-May-12 16:54:07)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-May-12 17:36:33
Print Post

Ah, there you go Ade.

70059Kbps on the multithreaded visualware jobbie

24008Kbps on BB Max

53.4Mbps on TBB (with a truly dreadful 4.9 upload)

Thanks for that.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-May-12 17:48:25
Print Post

I suspect the only way to get a scientific test would be to use something like the following setup

* No router - just OR modem
* Ethernet connection from test PC to OR modem

* PC with clean Windows 7 install from MS disc (no additional drivers except ethernet), no AV etc

* Mac with OS X 10.7.4 clean install with no additional software

* PC with Linux (RedHat Enterprise, SUSE, etc)

Then set up the in-OS PPPoE client and run a standardised set of tests.

Equally perform the same tests with another ISP, one using WBC, and one that doesn't use WBC (e.g. TalkTalk or Sky).

I'm aware of a TalkTalk user with 80/20 who says speeds are really low come peak periods, but off peak things are amazingly quick.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 20:58:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Pretty much exactly the same as I was seeing (pre-tweaks).

What are you getting with the single thread visualware tester? Somewhere close to the TBB tester, I'd imagine.

TBH I'm still not convinced my tweaks have actually achieved anything.
I had a big boost in the Flash based testers (BB Max, Speedtest.net, speed.io, etc.) following Batboy's advice of disabling vlan 130 in the modem (I think it was 130 - in any case, there's only one vlan set up in the Echolife modem) and disabling QOS (also in the modem).
Now, providing I don't pick a duff server, the Flash based testers pretty much always return maximum speed (before I got results anywhere between 12Mbps & 50Mbps during peak times, but always got max speed off-peak).

I still had single thread issues (pretty much exactly the same as you're seeing).
So after a recommendation and a bit of Googling, on Friday evening I carried out steps recommended by Speedguide.net.

Now it may be a coincidence and plenty on here will say it makes no difference, but I immediately got an improvement in single thread downloads which has stayed.
I'd never managed higher than around 6-16Mbps for the TBB test files (downloaded, single thread, using TBB Tools), which was also the case immediately before my tweaks.
Immediately after, I got around 50Mbps for a TBB test file in single thread mode.
TBB test files are still all over the place but I've not had a result lower than 30Mbps since I tweaked and couldn't get a result higher than around 16Mbps before the tweaks.

Coincidence? You be the judge.

During a 13 minute window, starting at 20:25 (Sunday evening) I got the following results (tested in the order shown below): -
74636kbps/16735kbps from BB Max.
64.34Mbps/17.46Mbps from Speedtest.net (Xilo Maidenhead server - probably!)
72.1Mbps/18.5Mbps from the single threaded Visualware tester
74.6Mbps/18.3Mbps from the four threaded Visualware tester
73Mbps/16.06Mbps from the BT speedtester (also confirming my IP profile of 77.39Mbps
And, as usual, the lowest result comes from the TBB tester
My Broadband Speed Test

TBB Tools download tests give;
Single thread = 36Mbps
Ten threads = 70Mbps

Using Zen's test files (using TBB Tool to download and meter) I get;
Single thread = 71.6Mbps

So;
a) What's wrong with the TBB speedtester to give such low download results?
b) What's up with the apparent 7Mbps upload limit on the TBB speedtester (only get a true speed if i get my old XP laptop out, when the TBB speedtester returns around 14-16Mbps upload)?
c) How come TBB tools can download a 100MB file from Zen @ 71.6Mbps but can only manage 36.3Mbps for a 100MB file from TBB's own servers?

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-May-12 21:14:48
Print Post

TBH Ade, I'm not too fussed, it's only bragging rights after all. The biggest issue is how does the average Joe judge their speed, if speedtesters are going to be so flaky on the higher speed services ?

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 21:27:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The biggest issue is how does the average Joe judge their speed, if speedtesters are going to be so flaky on the higher speed services ?

Ah-ha! That's the $64,000 question (as yet unanswered).
Even different servers, on the same speedtest site, produce wildly different results (which is why we can no longer rely on Speedtest.net - which always used to be so reliable, albeit a little generous).

Multi-thread downloads (using a download manager) seem to be the only reliable measure of line speed (and how many Joe Averages know about download managers, single thread, multi-thread, etc.).

We can't even rely on the BT speedtester.
Up to the point I carried out Batboy's tweaks (and those on the Speedguide.net site) the BT speedtester was telling me to call my ISP because I had a fault. Now (loads of tweaks later - some to the modem, some to Windows 7 - and the BT tester is reliably returning results over 70Mbps).

If it's confusing the heck out of us lot, can you imagine Joe Average getting it?
Mind you; I'm sure most have no idea of their download speeds (My Dad is normally totally clueless, when it comes to download speeds, throttling & testing, etc. and he spent years teaching ICT at our local college of FE).

It's all very well people saying "our speedtester is fine with 100Mbps Virgin connections" or "I checked using our office connection and got 200Mbps download". In reality (as we've both proven) speedtesters are flaky (at best) with FTTC.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-May-12 21:51:57
Print Post

Anything else I should know or consider?

The Openreach spec for the 40M product was I think a CIR (committed information rate ?) downstream of 20M or line rate if lower. I think this only goes up to 30M downstream for the 80M product so although unlikely there may be contention on the fibre betwixt the cabinet and the whatever to consider.

I think the upstream CIR matches the product rate, or line rate if lower.

I haven't read what BT Wholesale say about their next link in the chain, but there's scope for another contention point there - then the ISP, etc.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Croftie
(member) Mon 21-May-12 01:15:19
Print Post

Even different servers, on the same speedtest site, produce wildly different results (which is why we can no longer rely on Speedtest.net - which always used to be so reliable, albeit a little generous).

I agree different speedtest.net servers give different results. I do not agree however that the results cannot be trusted, because while there are many speedtest.net servers that don't give acccurate results, there are some that do.

Regardless of the teser, you can trust it's results as long as you have verified them. For me, certain speedtest.net servers are spot on for download and slightly conservative for upload. That's the best I can glean from speedtest.net servers specificaly.

Other sites, which do and do not use the Ookla system, are spot on for both up and down.

Getting accurate results, regardless of where you get them, is all about monitoring the testing proccess and comparing it to real file transfers. Then it is obvious what is accurate and what is not.

If only BT were capable of providing an accurate platform for finding out what our connection is capable of... speedtester.bt.com could be that platform but clearly, at the moment, it is not.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Mon 21-May-12 01:25:38
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

Perfectly easy to tell if Speedtest is maxing your line, ping something and if the pings go up your line is being maxed.

Oh and I did also test all the UK speedtest servers a while ago here
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-May-12 20:19:58
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Croftie:
Getting accurate results, regardless of where you get them, is all about monitoring the testing proccess and comparing it to real file transfers.

Indeed; and finding a speedtest site (and server), that works for you (i.e. correlates to your real World up/down speeds - validated by multi-thread downloads) and sticking to it, comparing like-for-like results.

Ade

DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User RobCW
(newbie) Wed 23-May-12 09:19:08
Print Post

Well i am still stumped frown I am still only seeing around 40-45Mbps on any standard download (e.g single thread), BBC iplayer download, etc. I am on BT Infinity 2 (80/20) package and was estimated at 76/20.

I ran some speed tests last night (all close together) and following are the results I got:

BT speedtester: 70Mbps/10.13Mbps (ip profile 77.43 down and 20 up)
BBMax: 74938kbps / 12139kbps
Speedtest.net (Dublin): 58.88Mbps / 10.18Mbps (I live in Belfast and this seems best one)
Visualware Single Threaded: 48.1Mbps / 17.0Mbps - http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/db/report?id=44...
Visualware Multi-threaded: 74Mbps / 17.0Mbps - http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/db/report?id=44...
TBB speedtest: 57.7Mbps / 4.6Mbps

The single threaded Visualware test is about as high as i have ever got. Its usually around 40Mbps matching the file download and BBC iplayer download i see.

I'm running the tests over ethernet connected direct to the BT Home Hub (so no wifi or powerlines) and get similar results at any time of day.

Any ideas anyone? I notice when i compare my visualware results with Ade's my download speed graph seems to fluctuate a lot more and the TCP pause graph shows a lot more pauses. Not sure what this means though....

Thanks

Rob
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Wed 23-May-12 10:07:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobCW:
Any ideas anyone? I notice when i compare my visualware results with Ade's my download speed graph seems to fluctuate a lot more and the TCP pause graph shows a lot more pauses. Not sure what this means though....

My guess is
1) Congestion or
2) Your PC, firewall, or other software has problems handling the full speed
Standard User RobCW
(newbie) Wed 23-May-12 22:37:46
Print Post

Cheers, yeah those were my thoughts too. Hoping to try a different PC tomorrow so will see if i get different results.

Other than that the only other idea I had was that it might somehow have been caused by the fact I had my master socket moved whenever I had Infinity installed and that maybe there is something dodgy with my wiring to that new socket that is causing problems with the higher speeds.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 24-May-12 00:11:51
Print Post

maybe there is something dodgy with my wiring to that new socket that is causing problems with the higher speeds.

wouldn't explain why some speed tests get it and others don't ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jun-12 10:17:29
Print Post

It looks to me as though my download speed is somehow locked at 40Mbps.
I was doing okay on my IDNet 80/20 until last Tuesday (19th June). Since then testers and downloads struggle to get above 30Mb/s. There is some evidence of spiking up to 70Mb/s but they could just as easily by measuring glitches. Speed is now all over the place rather than being consistent. The TBQM graphs show that since that Tuesday I've had continuous low level spikes in maximum latency whereas before that time there's almost nothing showing during the day when no-one is using the connection.

IDNet support are still working through it with me (well..they still reply to emails with suggestions of things to try) but have indicated their scepticism about resolving it. They are basically trotting out the BT mantra that anything over 12Mb/s is fine. This on a line with a 76.7/20 Mb/s profile frown

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to