General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Numpty999
(newbie) Fri 30-Nov-12 12:13:22
Print Post

Re: Westhoughton FTTC

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

My lad was talking to an Openreach engineering connecting the fibre at what we think is Cabinet 22 (near France Street ?) yesterday. Engineer said barring major issues with power and blocked ducts it should be 4 to 6 weeks before we can start ordering on all the cabinets around Daisy Hill.

Engineer was a bit hacked off as where he lives FTTC has been done but not his cabinet and even though he'd offered to do his bit for free his cabinet was not on the current plan for deployment ....how frustrating must that be.

Let's hope he was right on the 4 to 6 weeks.
Standard User madmanfree
(newbie) Sat 01-Dec-12 15:13:10
Print Post

[re: Numpty999] [link to this post]

2 new cabinets have appeared on my dog walking route on entrances to the Metal Box Estate in Westhoughton. On Chew Moore lane, and Manchester Road A6. Both boxes much bigger than the original small ones and they have left the old ones there, is that normal?
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sat 01-Dec-12 16:54:46
Print Post

[re: madmanfree] [link to this post]

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/bt_furniture_2.html

Do they look like the above, if so they are FTTC cabs which are installed next to the existing pcp and this is normal.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rainingmud
(newbie) Fri 07-Dec-12 14:55:55
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

looked like they where running the fibre through this morning in Daisy Hill and also at the top near the traffic lights.
Standard User FTTC1234
(newbie) Fri 07-Dec-12 15:25:31
Print Post

[re: rainingmud] [link to this post]

Ohh interesting, I wonder if cabs have individual fibres to the exchange, or whether they daisy chain them all?
Standard User Numpty999
(newbie) Fri 07-Dec-12 18:28:46
Print Post

[re: FTTC1234] [link to this post]

Openreach guys connecting fibre up in cabinet just up from Hindley Road post office
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 08-Dec-12 12:28:32
Print Post

[re: FTTC1234] [link to this post]

The FTTC cab makes use of individual fibres back to the head-end in the parent exchange - so are point-to-point fibre.

However, those fibres are being laid as part of high-fibre-count bundles via aggregation nodes (splicing points), and appear to run in chains - usually referred to as the fibre spine.

Those bundles, as announced recently by BT, will provide the basis for the FTTP-on-demand product line. The same kind of fibre is used, but this time it is set up as a passive GPON network, using shared fibre connections, and more splicing/splitting done further out in the network.
Standard User Numpty999
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 16:57:12
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Openreach guys connecting fibre at Daisy Hill church today. Plus I got a reply from the nga email address at Openreach to say barring any major issues our cabinet 25 shoild be ready by end of January
Standard User tpiil
(newbie) Thu 03-Jan-13 14:13:08
Print Post

[re: Numpty999] [link to this post]

I have just ordered on BT's website. Don't know 100% what cabinet I'm in, but I'm next to Daisy Hill train station. So Daisy Hill looks like is live smile Install in 14 days!
Standard User tpiil
(newbie) Thu 03-Jan-13 14:14:24
Print Post

[re: tpiil] [link to this post]

Forgot the speed:
We estimate your maximum download connection speed will be 58.8 Mbps
We estimate your maximum upload connection speed will be 20 Mbps*
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to