General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Wed 30-May-12 17:51:22
Print Post

Re: FTTC in Byfleet (Surrey)

[re: AndrewUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndrewUK:
Bah well I just had a look, and actually it looks like they have just replaced the old PCP with a new PCP - definitely not a fibre cabinet. [censored].
Oh [censored], indeed!

Don't be dispirited. The first part of the job can involve "re-sleeving" the existing PCP to ensure that there is enough physical space to run in the tie cables that link the new FTTC to the PCP.

Re-reading the quotation that you posted, above, it still does read as the recipe for a FTTC installation.

Keep watching the site and please continue to post updates here. smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User AndrewUK
(committed) Wed 30-May-12 18:03:22
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Hopefully!

Here is the old green cabinet:
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=grange+road+new+haw...

Note google maps is about 2 years out of date, there are houses there now smile

I'll try to get some pics of the new one, perhaps it is a FTTC, I only had a glancing look as I drove past on the way home.

--
Andrew
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 30-May-12 18:23:07
Print Post

That old GPO-era PCP most definitely would need to be re-sleeved, so things are still looking positive for you. smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndrewUK
(committed) Wed 06-Jun-12 13:30:00
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Roadworks have all finished now, they have re-sleeved the old cabinet by the looks of it with a shiny new one.

The new one looks the same as this (shamelessly found using google images!)
http://davidsudworth.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/img...

It's now marked as Cabinet 1 (previously the markings had faded off and weren't readble), which the spreadsheet says will be the one I am connected to.

The good news is that cab is less than 100m away from me in a straight line. The bad news is there is no actual FTTC cab installed next to it yet! There are no additional roadworks planned or in progress on roadworks.org either frown

Interestingly the RFS date for the exchanged changed to 01/06/2011 (from 30/06/2011) so will have to keep an eye open for more activity hopefully soon.

--
Andrew
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Wed 06-Jun-12 14:09:50
Print Post

You've got a few months wait yet, i'm afraid
Standard User AndrewUK
(committed) Wed 06-Jun-12 14:32:15
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Meh, already put back a year on the original date, so I guess a few more months won't hurt... /cry

--
Andrew
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Wed 06-Jun-12 19:03:41
Print Post

Roadworks have all finished now, they have re-sleeved the old cabinet by the looks of it with a shiny new one.

<snip>

It's now marked as Cabinet 1 (previously the markings had faded off and weren't readble), which the spreadsheet says will be the one I am connected to.

The good news is that cab is less than 100m away from me in a straight line. The bad news is there is no actual FTTC cab installed next to it yet! There are no additional roadworks planned or in progress on roadworks.org either frown

Interestingly the RFS date for the exchanged changed to 01/06/2011 (from 30/06/2011) so will have to keep an eye open for more activity hopefully soon.
Progress is slowly and surely being made. The RFS date could be reset to the end of September . . .

Who can really understand the mysteries of Beatie's internal workings? (A rhetorical question that does not require a response!) wink

Standard User AndrewUK
(committed) Thu 21-Jun-12 00:00:55
Print Post

Ok another update.
It seems about 8 new roadworks around Byfleet have been scheduled by BT in early July all of which say the following. Hopefully that's the fibre cabs going in, after they reskinned the old PCP earlier this month!

Runnymede
GRANGE ROAD, NEW HAW

From 03 July 2012 to 09 July 2012

Organisation: British Telecommunications plc
Scale of works: STANDARD
Site location: S/O 196 Woodham Lane on Grange Road
Description To erect street cabinetExcavate to lay Telemetry duct, Lay concrete plinth (3 days to set)Stand cab, Check& Clear site
Traffic management NONE / SIGNING ONLY

--
Andrew
Standard User AndrewUK
(committed) Thu 05-Jul-12 22:38:36
Print Post

Well after a few days of cones and holes in the ground, a shiny new green FTTC box has popped up today. For some reason BT decided to stick it right in the middle of a grass verge in the pavement instead of tucking it up against the wall next to the main PCP. Look like a bit of an eye-sore but if I gives me uber speed broadband I don't care tongue

Now to wait a few months for them to actually switch it on, I guess...

--
Andrew
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-12 23:14:37
Print Post

Now to wait a few months for them to actually switch it on, I guess...

Welcome to the waiting game (!) - my FTTC cab was physically installed last week, all roadworks finished last Friday, now I wait.... frown

James - be* pro - 16.8mbps sync - BQM
FTTC cab arrived 18-jun-2012 (due Mar 2011) - Openreach estimate 44.6Mbps / 6.5Mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to