General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 19:34:15
Print Post

Re: Possible fibre optic?

[re: izools] [link to this post]

NW5 4QA
the pic i have at first post is the box where the engineer connected me
is just 10 meters maximum from house

done little more search and have found some fttc checkers

it says few houses in my post code has got direct connection with the exchange and not just me
http://fttc-check.alc.im/
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

as i said i will try my isp if can be connected to the new fibre cabinet other ways will wait if any solution for fibre with direct exchanges
have found one more post in this forum where is not good sign for me
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherbb/3902258-ftt...
thanks

Edited by babis3g (Sun 20-May-12 19:35:56)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 20-May-12 20:36:17
Print Post

[re: babis3g] [link to this post]

Basically...

If you are connected straight to the exchange then NO Fibre broadband.

It's called FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) because the fibre is installed in the local cabinet.
If there is no local cabinet between you and the exchange then there's no possibility of getting it.

The line MAY have routed via a local cabinet originally. However now that the engineer has connected you via that terminal box, it may no longer go via the cabinet.

The original route was probably different to the new one.

Regardless they wont change this back now that it's been done. What's the probability % showing as on the websites you were looking at such as http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 20:47:32
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

thanks for reply
probability is 100% in both checkers

Edited by babis3g (Sun 20-May-12 20:48:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 20-May-12 20:51:50
Print Post

Have just looked up NW5 4QA

With it being London it's really not uncommon for it to be long length and yet exchange only.

Many london lines take odd routes which can twist and turn and even go back on themselves. So a straight line distance of 500m can be 2 miles in real terms.

Looking at that postcode there seems absolutely no way that you can get FTTC broadband.

This terminal block that you are connected to. Is that within the same post-code area or is that a few houses down and could be a different post code?
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 21:32:45
Print Post

about the lines you correct my exchange is about 600- 700 meters but my line according to BT engineer when i asked is 2.4 km

is in the same post code but i think few blocks down the road but not sure
is one fibre just installed about 80 meters away and one normal cabinet about 60 meters away

the normal cabinet i see engineers took away all cables from inside and is empty now
i asked the BT engineers and they told me with in 2 months will be sorted who will be connected (but that is before i got connected to the box)

thanks again...slowly i start forget fttc
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 21:47:27
Print Post

I wonder what would happen if you try to place an order for direct 'on demand' FTTP next March?
If your local street cabinet is FTTC enabled I wonder if you'd get away with it?
After all; they'll have to blow a fibre from your home to the cabinet, so what difference does it make if your copper line doesn't actually go to that cabinet?
Problem is it could cost maybe £1500!

I also wonder what would happen if you ordered enough new lines to use up all the spare connections in the junction box. Would BT just install a new cable back to the nearest cabinet?

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Sun 20-May-12 21:48:02)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 20-May-12 22:04:39
Print Post

The FTTC cabinet is located near an existing cabinet. E.g. http://www.broadbandwatchdog.co.uk/story/wp-content/...

In the photograph the box on the right is the old BT cabinet which is used for those with ADSL ADSL 2+ etc and telephone services.

The cabinet on the left is the new FTTC cabinet. This cabinet only provides fibre services to those who's lines are already going via the righthand side cabinet.

This means that if your line was not already going via the right hand side cabinet, you will never see fibre via the new left hand side cabinet.

If your line goes directly via the exchange (in your case) it's not routed via one of these cabinets. Hence you wont see FTTC as it stands.

As for this cabinet which has had all of the wires removed. That seems strange and perhaps a little confusing.

A cabinet can hold 100s of lines. So if they take away all of the cables - what's happened to the existing 100s of peoples lines? They still need a service.

Perhaps the cabinet was moved to a different location which has happened here before... They moved it around 30 metres for some reason.

Also your postcode serves around 70 properties from what I can see. All of these seem to have direct to exchange lines (as far as I can tell). So chances are you can't get a line at your current address that goes via a local cabinet.

I highly doubt that BT will in future re-route your specific line via a cabinet.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 20-May-12 22:05:24)

Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 22:22:00
Print Post

Also your postcode serves around 70 properties from what I can see. All of these seem to have direct to exchange lines (as far as I can tell). So chances are you can't get a line at your current address that goes via a local cabinet.

I highly doubt that BT will in future re-route your specific line via a cabinet.

hmmmm that was i was thinking
i see the engineer just pulling out all cables from the normal cabinet
i asked if fttc is coming and showed me the new fttc cabinet (which they installed earliest same day) and told me all will sort with in 2-3 months

the 70 properties are mainly from council houses block so i guess (once was pulling out all wires from normal cabinet) they will redirect to cabinet inluding mine just 50 meters away from these properties

yea it is a strange case for a bit of properties to be directed all to exchange here in London
hope you right and again all i have to do is wait and see

Edited by babis3g (Sun 20-May-12 22:25:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-May-12 22:27:32
Print Post

"i see the engineer just pulling out all cables from the normal cabinet"

This makes no sense to me. With FTTC the cables in the existing cabinet are left in place, an extra set of copper cabling is added to link the existing cabinet to the new cabinet.

As far as I am concerned, it is very likely you have misinterpreted what the engineer has said based on what we have been told so far.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 20-May-12 22:37:37
Print Post

I am not saying wait and see. I am saying you can't get FTTC now and you will not be able to in future.

Ok. Whatever is happening with that cabinet has no affect on you.
Your line is direct to the exchange. It does not go via ANY cabinet.

I believe that the cabinet that has had the cables removed is no longer in use.
The lines that were using this cabinet probably connect to a different one now.
This happened near me.

In my case...
Old cabinet = cables torn out
New cabinet installed 30 metres away.
The lines that connected via the old cabinet now connect via the new cabinet.

IF you were not connected to the old cabinet in the first place you were not connected to the new one.

EVEN GIVEN THIS. I highly doubt a new Fibre cabinet would be installed next to one where the cables have been just removed?

Even in 2-3 months when the cabinet goes live you wont be able to get a fibre service via it.

They will not re-route you via the cabinet in future. There's no need for them to.

In your situation. Any work on any cabinet makes absolutely no difference to you.
Don't expect FTTC. It's not coming to you.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 20-May-12 22:40:18)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to