General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User balami
(committed) Wed 30-May-12 17:46:42
Print Post

Re: FTTC install - Huawei modem - IP address clash etc?

[re: oxygendebt] [link to this post]

Hi,

If you ask Mr BT nicely he may leave you a spare. Worked for me on the 2 installs I have been involved with.

Regards,

Mark.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 30-May-12 18:32:59
Print Post

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by think26872:
Does this mean if your router defaults to an IP of 192.168.1.1 you are better changing it before getting fibre? i.e. either the BT provided modems have an IP of 192.168.1.1 so your router and its DHCP range must not include 192.168.1.1?

TIA

If you are not going to unlock the modem it doesn't matter. If you are and you want to be able to access it at the same time as accessing the Internet through your router then yes, it's probably easier to change your router address (and the DHCP range if necessary).

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User asbokid
(member) Wed 30-May-12 18:34:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

When re-flashing the firmware of the HG612, the PC must be manually assigned a static local IP address.
The PC's IP address must be manually assigned because the Huawei's bootloader doesn't support DHCP.
It must be in the subnet 192.168.1.0/24 because the HG612 has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1
Excepting 192.168.1.1, the PC can be given any other IP address in that subnet.

There are some grounds for using an IP address of 192.168.1.100

The Huawei's bootloader can be configured to load its kernel from flash or from the ethernet using BOOTP/TFTP. When configured to net boot, the bootloader, by default, tries to retrieve its kernel from 192.168.1.100 (67/udp + 69/udp)

So that is where 192.168.1.100 came from.

Net booting the Huawei is relatively easy to configure. However, by itself, net booting the kernel has little advantage. To be truly useful, the Huawei also needs to have its root file system mounted over the ethernet (using NFS).

At the time this was tried, Huawei/BT hadn't released the kernel source code for the HG612. The ethernet device driver in the original firmware had dependencies on monolithically-compiled code in the original kernel. But that kernel did not support a NFS root file system. And those dependencies stopped the original ethernet driver binary from being inserted into a new kernel which had been compiled for a NFS root file system.

Now that the kernel source code is available for the HG612, the whole shebang of net booting the kernel and mounting a networked root fs should be possible.

It would make quite an impressive project. A networked file system offers unlimited storage and would greatly ease development of new embedded code for the Huawei.

cheers, a

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Wed 30-May-12 22:37:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by oxygendebt:
OK, many thanks for replying.

I already connect with IPv6 using my existing ISP and router.

I'd already looked on ebay for a modem to play with. Nothing much available at the moment, unfortunately.

There's currently two on there, although one's a bit pricey. One went Saturday for £11.49, which I missed as I was out, but I got one Sunday for £26, both prices include P&P.

Standard User asbokid
(member) Thu 31-May-12 01:26:56
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asbokid:
When re-flashing the firmware of the HG612, the PC must be manually assigned a local IP address..in the subnet 192.168.1.0/24 because the HG612 has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1

Just to clarify.. the above is only relevant when flashing the Huawei.
Once the device is flashed, it can be assigned through its web interface any legitimate private IP address.

cheers, a
Standard User oxygendebt
(newbie) Thu 31-May-12 20:32:29
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

just bought a brand new, boxed 3b version of the HG612 for £15 delivered!

thanks everyone for replies
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 31-May-12 20:42:35
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
Basically ignore your Billion to start with. plug direct in to LAN port 2 on the Openreach modem and follow the unlock procedures. Then access the modem at 192.168.1.1, go in to LAN settings and change the IP to something like 192.168.1.250

Then, plug a cable between LAN 1 on the modem to your WAN port on the Billion and have the Billion connect using PPPoE, and also plug a cable in between LAN 2 on the modem to any LAN port on the Billion (or a switch) and then you can access the modem on 192.168.1.250 and it wont affect your Billion at 192.168.1.1

Thanks

This doesn't seem to work with sky's fibre. No matter what I do I cannot access the modem via the router. I have to plug in directly to the modem via ethernet. It's very annoying!
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Thu 31-May-12 22:16:09
Print Post

That was a result, mine was also a 3B.

Standard User greenglide
(member) Thu 31-May-12 22:59:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by greenglide:
Yes - it is as easy as the instructions say! Dont even need to have it connected to the VDSL line. The only pre-requisite is that the computer accessing the LAN port MUST be 192.168.1.100. The BT defaults are retained.

Absolute total RUBBISH.

If you are going to make statements like that then make sure they are correct rather than trying to mislead people.

And yes I do know what I am talking about, my local IP is nothing like that and I can access my Huawei modem without any problems whatsoever.

I was referring to the hacking process - not the actual use of the device after it is hacked.

The reason I made the statement was because I assumed that the entire 192.168.1.x was available but several attempts with my IP address of 192.168.1.19 failed but as soon as I changed the IP address to 192.168.1.100 it worked first time.

That seemed to me to be reasonable grounds to believe that the IP address did matter for this action.

At no point was I trying to mislead anyone. - in my experience (which seems now to have some doubts) the statement was true.

I apologise for having made a mistake. It must be wonderful to be 100% perfect about everything.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 01-Jun-12 00:19:26
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I used 192.168.1.2 and it worked fine.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to