General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Jun-12 22:47:30
Print Post

Re: Cannot find my Telecom Box

[re: PE06MCG] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PE06MCG:
Do you think my 'suspect' PCP17 is the genuine article or should I continue my area search for a more robust structure?
As James has said.

See my photos page I linked to. It is the same as the one below the Huawei 128 FTTC cabinet. Coincidentally - number 17 smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Sat 16-Jun-12 23:20:13
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
In reply to a post by greenglide:
Well mine has NEAT PCP 55 smile the fibreglass PCP has been retained (so far). The FTTC CAB has mains and tie cables in but is not live yet. Several others in the area seem to be retained as well.. Much digging in streets between us and the exchange frown
Thank you for that information, GG. I've learnt something new. smile

You street excavations could be the result of blocked ducts.

I am sure the digging is blocked ducts, what is worrying is that the road works keep on being extended even further down the same street and they arent planned for the end yetfrown

The reference to 1970s fibreglass PCPs is a little odd as it talks about 1970's but our estate was built in the very late 80's and it was farmland before that.

When first looking for the PCP I didnt realise that this was one!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Sun 17-Jun-12 00:03:07
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

GG -- I really need to recheck some information but yes, a plain "1970s" does not look correct. I've made an edit to my original post so that it now reads "late 1970s - early 1980s" . . .

They originate from the time when Post Office Telecommunications thought that fibreglass was to way to proceed. "Fred", with the assistance of "Bert", showed the folly of that assumption.

There is a modern day parallel with "Beatie" and her XNTEs. They arrived, were rapidly found to be lacking (especially with a broadband service) and were finally declared verboten from November 2011.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jun-12 09:00:00
Print Post

Those fibreglass cabinets are almost impossible for one person to shut and fully lock.

err ...... no they are not.

If you still struggle;

Push into place.

Hold in place with knee of choice.

Lock either top right or left, then opposing bottom lock.

Do the other two locks ....

Jobs a good 'un.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jun-12 09:08:19
Print Post

Edit: I have never known those squat fibreglass PCPs to be given a FTTC twin without the PCP itself being upgraded (i.e. replaced), to allow room for the tie-cables. That could account for the delay.

Your assumption is incorrect.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to