General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 17-Jun-12 21:03:24
Print Post

Pegswood FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am trying to find out if and when Pegswood are going to get its cabs upgraded. BT have advised that the exchange is enabled but they do not have a date for the cab.

Is there a way of getting information to see when the planned dates for upgrades will be.

Thanks

S
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Sun 17-Jun-12 21:04:46
Print Post

Re: Pegswood FTTC

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Whats your postcode?

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jun-12 21:06:27
Print Post

What's your post code? I can check to see if it connects to a cabinet being upgraded.

A number of the Pegswood cabinets are being done now as part of the Ashington roll out.

Ashington is due 30th June.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Fibre due June 2012!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 17-Jun-12 21:07:20
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

NE61 6TF
(isp) Sun 17-Jun-12 21:25:05
Print Post

Unfortunately your line is what is known as an "exchange line". This means that you cannot receive FTTC as your line is delivered straight from the exchange rather than via a local cabinet. It appears that your estate is all served by an exchange line, possibly due to the fact that when the estate was developed there was not enough capacity in the existing cabinet that serves nearby streets, so they ran a new cable direct from the exchange.

Of course, this would not be a problem in the past as ADSL and Voice services don't care if you are fed from a cabinet or not. It's only an issue now because FTTC can't be provided but when they built the estate FTTC was not even invented!

Sorry about that!

James

James

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!

Edited by Adsl24 (Sun 17-Jun-12 21:28:33)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User HarpingOn
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 08:18:02
Print Post

What about NE616TN ?

Also in pegswood, but I can't be sure if I'm a cabinet, or direct exchange. There seems to be some confusion.
(isp) Mon 18-Jun-12 08:20:25
Print Post

[re: HarpingOn] [link to this post]

NE61 6TN is the lucky postcode on that estate as it is served by a cabinet. Two in fact, Some are on cab 9 and the others 10, but both are being planned for FTTC so doesn't matter!

James

Standard User HarpingOn
(newbie) Tue 26-Jun-12 12:45:56
Print Post

Talktalk website just moved today, from July to September 2012.

BT Wholesale checker still doesn't mention FTTC for NE616TN.

Sigh.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 09-Jul-12 19:16:19
Print Post

What about NE61 6SE - stupidly I have signed up to BT broadband, last week, thinking that the hotspots would be beneficial... Not so fast at all so pretty pointless and the speed at home for broadband is 1.78mbps and has been 0.30mbps - previous provider was a minimum speed of 2.70mbps....

However, as you seem to be in the know re: what lines will receive fibre optic from BT could you kindly let me know your thoughts on mine.

Greatly appreciated smile
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Mon 09-Jul-12 19:56:45
Print Post

Good news, at least in the December data, NE616SE has all lines supplied by PCP 26, which is scheduled in phase 8A (sometime around now) for FTTC, uplift is 14.95 times what you get now, but this is just a guide.

Standard User HarpingOn
(newbie) Thu 12-Jul-12 14:30:30
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Been checking the wholesale checker every day, for information on my cabinet (NE616TN), and suddenly, today, this appears:

"Your exchange is planned to have ADSL2+ by 31st December 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 4Mbps."

Now, this wasn't there in the checker result yesterday, and I could immediately see a difference, but upon eagerly reading the new information, this seems depressingly dull! I hope someone's just added some wrong info!
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Thu 12-Jul-12 15:34:09
Print Post

So presumably 21CN WBC is due then - hence the reference to ADSL2+.

If you are planned to get FTTC there should be an estimated speed and a timescale (30/09/2012) - this should have been there for ages - especially as the exchange was enabled last year.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Thu 12-Jul-12 15:42:44
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

The checker will not always show a date for FTTC or an estimated speed. This seems to be completely random.

I've been checking in the region of 50 cabinets on two local exchanges which are accepting orders, but none of the cabinets show when FTTC will be available or an estimated speed, some did but next time I've checked there was no mention of FTTC.

Standard User HarpingOn
(newbie) Fri 13-Jul-12 19:38:04
Print Post

More Open Reach work in the village today. I think they were furtling with the pavement access manholes. If I'm right, they'll be looking at a location for the FTTC cab to go with PCP 12, the one in the hedge.

Because I don't see how they're going to get a FTTC cab in the hedge along side 12 smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Jul-12 00:34:38
Print Post

Thank you for the update on NE616SE smile greatly appreciated... I wait eagerly in anticipation. Where do you get that info from so I can look at that please?? if that's possible?? thanks again.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Jul-12 00:39:51
Print Post

Can you post a link for BT FTTC Cabinets around BT FTTC Cabinets around Pegswood please?
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sun 15-Jul-12 00:48:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thank you for the update on NE616SE smile greatly appreciated... I wait eagerly in anticipation. Where do you get that info from so I can look at that please?? if that's possible?? thanks again.

Initial data came from leaked BT spreadsheet, then from finding all local cabinets, and then working out addresses to check against each cabinet.

Can't remember the link to the spreadsheet, it's on these forums somewhere - I downloaded a copy.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Jul-12 00:53:53
Print Post

Ah, OK thanks - I assumed you'd know from your link "View my FTTC cabinet map for Ramsgate, Broadstairs and Margate".... thought that was pretty awesome data... thanks anyhow... great help. off to bed, night.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Jul-12 00:59:14
Print Post

I came across this link - Not precise however maybe it might change to an earlier date?? wishful thinking no doubt.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Jul-12 01:16:19
Print Post

Also came across this one http://fttc-check.alc.im
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sun 15-Jul-12 08:45:17
Print Post

I came across this link - Not precise however maybe it might change to an earlier date?? wishful thinking no doubt.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

That is the BT Wholesale checker, and is the best place to tell you if you can currently get FTTC/P, but it won't tell you when, or if you ever will. Sometimes it gives an estimated date, sometimes not. You can use your phone number (without a space) or use your postcode AND house number if not on a BT line.

Also came across this one http://fttc-check.alc.im

This checks your postcode against the December 2011 spreadsheet and tells you what cabinet your on, or if your on an exchange only line. It will only have postcodes that were scheduled in December 2011

Standard User HarpingOn
(newbie) Tue 17-Jul-12 22:39:49
Print Post

Lots more Open Reach work in the village tonight. Looked like they were feeding some black tubing into the pavement manhole accesses down from P10 (the one in the hedge), just along from the bus stop.

they can dig the place up for two weeks solid if it'll speed things along...

Can only hope all of this is FTTC releated. There's lots of magic yellow paint on the pavements between hedge-cab and cookswell.

Edited by HarpingOn (Wed 18-Jul-12 07:54:13)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 18-Jul-12 23:46:38
Print Post

Excited to see the bt openreach van opposite cookswells today!! Let's hope activatation is not too far away smile
Standard User HarpingOn
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-12 07:15:13
Print Post

Tell me about it. We will need to see the companion for P10 spring up though. I can't yet see where they plan to put it even.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-Jul-12 09:58:24
Print Post

If the van is there today I will ask what their plans are and if they can shed more light on a date or anything relating to this subject smile
Standard User HarpingOn
(newbie) Mon 23-Jul-12 00:48:36
Print Post

Checker now shows this for my postcode, NE616TN

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th September 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 32.9 to 37.2 Mbps and upstream line speed between 5.9 to 6.1 Mbps.

That doesn't show up on the wholesale checker for my number, though - only my postcode.

Should I worry?

Edited by HarpingOn (Mon 23-Jul-12 00:50:39)

(isp) Mon 23-Jul-12 18:37:39
Print Post

Do not use the Postcode checker, it will always say available as its based on the exchange, not the cabinet. You need to use the address checker to be accurate. Better still, the phone number checker.

James

Standard User HarpingOn
(newbie) Mon 23-Jul-12 19:23:37
Print Post

Hm. It doesn't for other post codes on our estate which are known to be exchange only, but I take the point.

I'm positive it didn't say this earlier though!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 05-Aug-12 18:28:41
Print Post

Looks like all FTTC cabinets (9, 26 and 27) in Pegswood are now live and accepting orders. I'm connected to cab 10 which is yet to have its fibre cabinet installed. www.roadworks.org is showing planned BT works at cab 10 next week so hopefully won't have long to wait until I can place my order smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 11-Aug-12 09:54:37
Print Post

So how can I check if my number or postcode will be able to get FTTC?

I still find it hard to believe that if I have an exchange line there's nothing I can do BTW...
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Aug-12 11:44:35
Print Post

It would help if you register a username - there's been so many post codes mentioned in this thread its difficult to know which is yours smile

If you do have a line direct to the exchange then you're not going to be getting fibre any time soon. You need to wait until BT come up with a solution for direct exchange lines and make it available to ISP's.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Fibre install date 24/08/2012
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Sat 11-Aug-12 15:36:59
Print Post

Looks like all FTTC cabinets (9, 26 and 27) in Pegswood are now live and accepting orders. I'm connected to cab 10 which is yet to have its fibre cabinet installed. www.roadworks.org is showing planned BT works at cab 10 next week so hopefully won't have long to wait until I can place my order smile

The leaked data showed me as 49% probability on 9, and 51% probability on 10, so I guess, as I can't order, that I'm on 10 with you!

I wonder if they'll embed it in the hedge with its companion.
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Wed 15-Aug-12 19:51:45
Print Post

Still no sign of OR working around P10. They have the roadworks booked until August 25. Do they usually stick to their roadworks plans?
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 15-Aug-12 20:01:37
Print Post

Not always as the contactors can have roadworks booked out multple times, all depends on what work thats going on in the area.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User simon194
(member) Wed 15-Aug-12 21:31:28
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
Not always as the contactors can have roadworks booked out multple times, all depends on what work thats going on in the area.

More usual round my way the roadworks cover a period of time within an 18 month window from the date they were approved with a provisional date set for the start of the work.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Aug-12 13:24:04
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

RE Cabinet 10 pegswood the base has been layed for the new FTTC box.
this morning, Sat 18th August.
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 16:48:28
Print Post

Great news!

I did a tour of the other cabinets today, with the different go live stickers on. I think I like the more restrained openreach sticker than the colourful swirly one. Hopefully it really won't be too long now for P10 smile)
Standard User daveyham
(newbie) Sun 19-Aug-12 07:04:30
Print Post

This was me.
I'm registered now, that was my first post on this forum.
Good news indeed hopefully not too long to wait now.
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Tue 21-Aug-12 18:17:50
Print Post

[re: daveyham] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by daveyham:
This was me.
I'm registered now, that was my first post on this forum.
Good news indeed hopefully not too long to wait now.

And now there's a shiny green cabinet there!

Be Unlimited will hopefully soon be losing another customer to FTTC

Perhaps the go live on this one will be quick, given all the other cabs in the village are live.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Aug-12 20:17:59
Print Post

I'd think the time between the cabinet appearing and going live would be significantly faster given the exchange is active and so are the neighbouring cabs smile

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Fibre install date 24/08/2012
Standard User simon194
(member) Tue 21-Aug-12 21:20:54
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
I'd think the time between the cabinet appearing and going live would be significantly faster given the exchange is active and so are the neighbouring cabs smile

I would count on it though.

They took around 3 months commissioning a new cabinet in my area despite the exchange being live and the other 3 cabinets in the area also being live.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Aug-12 20:15:27
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
They took around 3 months commissioning a new cabinet in my area despite the exchange being live and the other 3 cabinets in the area also being live.

My cab arrived during the day on the 18th June. Was ready for service (and I ordered) 16th August.

(Rest of area had cabs up and running for >12 months)

James be* pro (16.8/1.2) - Ordered Sky Fibre Pro 45.6/6.5 - 4th sept
13 years of broadband - ntl:cablemodem/BTbusiness/metronet/bulldog/BE/Sky
BQM

Edited by jchamier (Wed 22-Aug-12 20:15:45)

Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Mon 03-Sep-12 16:43:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I emailed openreach about P10, and got this:

"Thank you for enquiring about fibre broadband.
When installing fibre broadband we can't necessarily install all the FTTC cabinets for delivery in the same phase. This is the case for your cab, NE/MP 10, which, along with others on Morpeth exchange, will be delivered later this year.
At this point, as we are still in the build phase and I cannot give you a date when your cab is expected to go live.
Keep monitoring our web-site which will give details."

At least this confirms that I'm actually /on/ P10, and that they are getting on with it. The lack of timescales is as infuriating as ever.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 04-Sep-12 21:37:22
Print Post

Hmm - where did you email?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 04-Sep-12 23:34:36
Print Post

So BT ARE COMING TOMORROW to install Infinity finally... 3 weeks after requesting it and them not recognising our postcode on their infinity system even though we have both phone and broadband with them currently! Anyhow they reckon between 1pm-6pm tomorrow and we'll reach 57.8mps... I wait with baited breath smile
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Tue 04-Sep-12 23:48:52
Print Post

Hmm - where did you email?

The address from this thread:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4148121-re-...
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Tue 04-Sep-12 23:49:48
Print Post

So BT ARE COMING TOMORROW to install Infinity finally... 3 weeks after requesting it and them not recognising our postcode on their infinity system even though we have both phone and broadband with them currently! Anyhow they reckon between 1pm-6pm tomorrow and we'll reach 57.8mps... I wait with baited breath smile

Amazing. Let us know how it goes!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 05-Sep-12 23:26:00
Print Post

Fantastic - we have infinity smile so pleased! They came at about 4pm today and were here about half an hour installing it. Apparently to the house we get 80mbps however we run wirelessly so we are so far experiencing 21.4Mbps which is great. Anything is better than 1-2mbps right!? Hope you get yours soon smile
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Thu 06-Sep-12 22:45:31
Print Post

Fantastic - we have infinity smile so pleased! They came at about 4pm today and were here about half an hour installing it. Apparently to the house we get 80mbps however we run wirelessly so we are so far experiencing 21.4Mbps which is great. Anything is better than 1-2mbps right!? Hope you get yours soon smile

Superb!

I'm quite a long way from my cabinet, so I'll likely only get in the region of 20Mb, but now I only get between 750K and 1.5M depending on 'something' so much faster still.

Cummon OR, fix up P10 smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 26-Sep-12 21:33:51
Print Post

Hmm - according to Talk Talk:

"Superfast Fibre Broadband is planned for your area in January 2013. Register your interest and we'll contact you as soon as it becomes available.*"
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Wed 26-Sep-12 23:51:21
Print Post

Hmm - according to Talk Talk:

"Superfast Fibre Broadband is planned for your area in January 2013. Register your interest and we'll contact you as soon as it becomes available.*"

That really sucks, as I've seen OR working on the one remaining cab (Mine!) twice last week.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 28-Sep-12 17:44:02
Print Post

Really helpful reply from BT

You are served by a cabinet and you do *not* have a direct line to the exchange.

FTTC Ready for service date: 2012-12-31

Predicted speeds,

Upstream bandwidth: 6Mbit/s
Downstream bandwidth: 34.6Mbit/s

PCP/Cab Id: 10
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Sat 29-Sep-12 16:25:32
Print Post

I'm going to confine all pegswood posts to this thread from now on, we don't need 2 threads.

OR were working on P10 again this morning, but I didn't get a chance to speak to him.

Edited by HarpingOn (Sat 29-Sep-12 16:32:16)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 29-Sep-12 21:34:42
Print Post

I did see two openreach engineers working on cabinet 10 on Friday for most of the day also. They appeared to be connecting copper cable between the new fttc and existing pcp cabinets. During last week openreach were also running fibre cables along from the exchange in Morpeth and up Whorral bank, not sure if they ran up to the new cabinet or not. BT seem to automatically roll the activation date back by 3 months as it comes close to the end of the quarter. Given the time it took for the other cabinets in the village to be commissioned after fibre cables had been laid and work on the cabinets had been undertaken, it hopefully wont be too long until we have a decent connection speed smile
Standard User mitchy87
(newbie) Sat 29-Sep-12 21:38:39
Print Post

I did see two openreach engineers working on cabinet 10 on Friday for most of the day also. They appeared to be connecting copper cable between the new fttc and existing pcp cabinets. During last week openreach were also running fibre cables along from the exchange in Morpeth and up Whorral bank, not sure if they ran up to the new cabinet or not. BT seem to automatically roll the activation date back by 3 months as it comes close to the end of the quarter. Given the time it took for the other cabinets in the village to be commissioned after fibre cables had been laid and work on the cabinets had been undertaken, it hopefully wont be too long until we have a decent connection speed smile

Just realised I hadn't signed in when posting my reply, and there are a few anon posters. Above was me!
Standard User distantdave
(learned) Tue 02-Oct-12 09:28:42
Print Post

[re: mitchy87] [link to this post]

From OpenReach via Email:

From the details given, the line quoted is connected to Morpeth cabinet NE/MP 10.

This cabinet is being enabled for FTTC and should be available to order fibre broadband in Mid-November.

(Subject to no engineering delays)

(Yay!)

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Tue 02-Oct-12 11:23:20
Print Post

[re: distantdave] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by distantdave:
From OpenReach via Email:

From the details given, the line quoted is connected to Morpeth cabinet NE/MP 10.

This cabinet is being enabled for FTTC and should be available to order fibre broadband in Mid-November.

(Subject to no engineering delays)

(Yay!)

Zounds! OR have been busy almost every day on that cabinet. Hoping it's true smile)
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Fri 05-Oct-12 22:46:32
Print Post

YES!

My BT Wholesale Checker page just updated tonight:

For Telephone Number 016705***** on Exchange MORPETH

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 32.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.9Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Gotta order, gotta order, gotta order smile)
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Fri 05-Oct-12 22:54:23
Print Post

Actually, do we know (how can we tell) which fibre operators are available from exchange NEMP ?

I think that talktalk will be, and BT. But who else? Don't think Sky do but their web page isn't clear.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Oct-12 12:09:08
Print Post

To check sky you need to know a phone number on an enabled cabinet. Preferably a BT line rather than something unbundled by another provider.

They have LLU available at the exchange so I'd think they could offer fibre.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/nemp

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 06-Oct-12 15:21:39
Print Post

For FTTC, any ISP that offers packages based on FTTC will be ably to supply, not just the likes of BT or TalkTalk. I prefer Plusnet, but there are others available.

FTTP is a bit more limited.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Oct-12 16:16:35
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

That's not entirely true for LLU providers - they need to arrange a connection between their exchange equipment and the BT Openreach side. So there will be Sky/Talktalk unbundled exchanges that don't offer fibre. Sometimes this is just a temporary delay.

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Sun 07-Oct-12 18:31:34
Print Post

I checked a phone number and postcode from another part of the village with a live FTTC cabinet and Sky are offering Sky Fibre Unlimited to there, so I suspect that's where I'll go to when my cabinet goes live in a couple of weeks time.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Oct-12 18:51:51
Print Post

If you're going to go with sky, its worth calling and pretending to want to go elsewhere smile

Have a read of my thread from August:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/sky/f/4146843-fibre...

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
(learned) Thu 11-Oct-12 09:55:35
Print Post

My BT checker message has changed:

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 34.6Mbps and upstream line speed of 6Mbps.

PlusNet have a 40/250 download limit don't they?

If I want to watch iPlayer and so forth without worrying it seems to be a toss-up between BT and SKY.
(I wouldn't [censored] on Talk Talk)

I'll do some digging but if anyone has a summary of speed vs cost vs download limit for FTTC providers it'd be handy.

(Ideally I would stay with BE, but....)

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by distantdave (Thu 11-Oct-12 09:57:57)

Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Thu 11-Oct-12 10:52:29
Print Post

Yep, I got that change too. It's terribly exciting, isn't it smile

I'm having a toss up between plusnet and sky I think.

Don't like Plusnet's usage caps.

I don't do much streaming right now, because basically I can't. Even the SD iPlayer won't work on my ADSL.

I'll be streaming HD though, when we get this, so whilst 250GB might seem a lot per month, I don't know how much I'll end up getting through.

Nice dilemma to have though.

I suspect I'll end up going with Plus Net.
(learned) Thu 11-Oct-12 13:59:57
Print Post

Wonder what speed we might get long term?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Name | 38 mb | Cost p/m | 76 mb | Cost p/m | Wifi hotspots | DL limit.......| Monthly Line R |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| BT......| Y....... | £18.......| Y..........| £26.........| Y.................| P2P speed.. | £14.69..............|
| Sky....| Y........| £20........| Y.........| £30.........| Y..................| None...........| £14.50..............|
| +Net...| Y....... | £20.......| Y.........| £23.49.....| Y................ | 250MB.........| £12.99..............|
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a bit tricky this because some of the packages include calls with line rental.

But basically it looks like:

- If you want unlimited but aren't too bothered about p2p during the day go to BT.
- If p2p does bothers you, go to SKY.
- If you think your usage will come in under 250MB per month, go to PlusNet.

I'm sure this will be wrong but that's my initial assessment.
Any more for any more?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Oct-12 18:21:50
Print Post

Plusnet is 250GB rather than MB smile

Also its unlimited overnight.

I did a quick calculation and watching a 5Mbit stream would give over 100 hours before you hit the 250GB limit. So it depends how much streaming we're actually talking about, and what bit rate the HD stream runs at.

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
(learned) Thu 11-Oct-12 18:48:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
Plusnet is 250GB rather than MB smile

Also its unlimited overnight.

Details dear boy, details.

I tend to use my BB mostly between 17:00 and 01:00 and a bit of that can be iplayer,
But yeah, I need to do the sums - but I quite like the peace of mind anyway - if the difference is only a fiver a month and that includes wifi hotspots it might be worth it.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Thu 11-Oct-12 20:12:17
Print Post

The fact that +Net usage doesn't "count" between Midnight and 8am means I should be able to schedule my Amazon S3 backups for that time, up/downloading 80-150GB of data for backup isn't pretty or fun, but I should be able to do it at full tilt during those hours. Could work out well.

Knowing my luck, they'll use their "We can change anything we want at any time" clause in their contract to remove this usage concession when I'm 2 months into the contract :/

(I don't have any faith at all in ISPs, or telecoms contracts in general).

Been bitten both by BT and Sky in the past, which is why I was considering +Net or Talk Talk.

And i wish I could stop thinking like it's here already. Not long, not long...
(learned) Thu 11-Oct-12 23:28:42
Print Post

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 00:01:47
Print Post

That's definitely a bit out of date now. Certainly the Plusnet packages have reduced in price, increased in speed, and increased in usage allowance.
Standard User mitchy87
(newbie) Fri 12-Oct-12 09:40:05
Print Post

FTTC is now enabled on PCP10! Placed my order for infinity this morning. No engineer available until 30th October though frown
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Fri 12-Oct-12 12:35:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by mitchy87:
FTTC is now enabled on PCP10! Placed my order for infinity this morning. No engineer available until 30th October though frown

I ordered too. Got 31st October

In the end, I went with BT infinity2 :/

I still don't have a MAC from BE though. Hopefully any MAC delay from BE won't scupper the thing.

Edited by HarpingOn (Fri 12-Oct-12 13:47:08)

Standard User mitchy87
(newbie) Fri 12-Oct-12 14:18:51
Print Post

Great! I recently moved from Sky to BT Broadband and it took a few days for my MAC to come through. Didn't delay the transfer. I'm just looking forward to having a connection greater than 2mbps!
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Fri 12-Oct-12 14:27:34
Print Post

I got my BE MAC and added it to the BT order, so hopefully I have all my ducks in a row.

And it's only TWO WEEKS away.

I haven't been more excited since I had Home Highway put in, and got my 24x7 free 128Kbps account from Red Hot Ant back in 2000.

Of course in 2000, web pages were about 3K in size, so 128Kbps was awesome fast.

Now, anything less than 8Mbps feels like a one legged slug race.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 15:17:10
Print Post

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

It was indeed like those days 12 years ago, being liberated from the modem & jumping to 2M. And not having to use the phone line up.

Suddenly online video starts to look *serious*
Standard User HarpingOn
(learned) Fri 12-Oct-12 15:34:30
Print Post

I just got this from BE.

Has something really gone wrong, or is this what they send out when the MAC gets used?

QUOTE from BE:

----
Looks like something's gone wrong! BT have told us that there is an ongoing cease order for your landline.
The cease date is 31/10/2012. Please check with your telephone provider what the reason is and contact us on 0808 101 3430. Please bear in mind that if our service gets disconnected, we may need to charge you a £25 re-connection fee as we'd need to send a BT engineer to your local telephone exchange.
----

If this is 'normal' I don't want to contact them because I think there's a danger they'll do something to stop the cease.

Edited by HarpingOn (Fri 12-Oct-12 15:35:32)

Standard User mitchy87
(newbie) Fri 12-Oct-12 16:20:39
Print Post

I remember getting a letter through from Sky advising that my services would end on a given date. For peace of mind you could give BT a ring to make sure everything is OK with your order and that your new service will start on the 31st.
(learned) Sat 13-Oct-12 18:30:38
Print Post

Ordered with SKY - also got Oct 31 date.

I'm almost moist with anticipation.

I don't *think* you need a MAC for Sky

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Ordering/R...

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4156602-iss...

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Ordering/M...

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Ordering/R...

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by distantdave (Sat 13-Oct-12 19:15:37)

Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Sun 14-Oct-12 19:02:32
Print Post

I must remember to cancel my BE service, as although the MAC gets used, and the line ceases with BE, and begins with the new provider (BT in my case), this in no way stops BE from billing you for ongoing service :/
(learned) Sun 14-Oct-12 22:34:04
Print Post

Yeah, thinking the same.
I'll be sad to leave BE, but their insistence on no FTTC is baffling.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Mon 15-Oct-12 19:10:24
Print Post

Preparation:

1) Purchase 200Mbps AV homeplugs to replace old 85Mbps ones (cheap deal, 4xplugs for £46)

2) Purchase 13A socket tripler from Tllo Station

I need 3 power sockets for Infinity, one modem, one router, and one homeplug. Cripes!

I've done some measurements on the AV200 home plugs and found I get a 45Mbps throughput from my NAS, so that will be /just/ fast enough to share out the predicted 30-something Mbps Infinity. Only just mind. So bear in mind if you get anything faster than 40Mbps from your FTTC, and you use Homeplugs, you'll want at least 500Mbps variants.

Getting everything lined up for install day.

Can either the modem or home hub be wall mounted? I have my Be Box screwed to the wall at the moment.
(learned) Tue 16-Oct-12 12:39:53
Print Post

More OR work on Cab 10 at lunchtime today.
They even had a little rainproof tent over it.

Demon->NTL->KBNET->RedHotAnt->NTL->Zen->Ukonline->BEUnlimited->Sky Fibre

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User daveyham
(newbie) Sat 20-Oct-12 10:30:25
Print Post

Thats me signed up for cab 10 also, 9th November through sky.
Cannot wait.

Edited by daveyham (Sat 20-Oct-12 10:33:24)

(learned) Sat 20-Oct-12 15:30:24
Print Post

We should have a fibre night our in the ex when we're all connected smile

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Fri 26-Oct-12 20:57:36
Print Post

Wonder who the first P10 customer will be. I've been keeping an eye out for the Live sticker on the cabinet. Going to be doing the electrical work to provide three sockets (Modem, Router and Home Plug) beside the master socket tomorrow smile
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 27-Oct-12 15:19:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by HarpingOn:
Can either the modem or home hub be wall mounted? I have my Be Box screwed to the wall at the moment.

Yes, both types of modem can be wall mounted, and is the preferred method as it helps to keep them cooler. No idea about the home hub though.

Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Sat 27-Oct-12 16:31:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:

Yes, both types of modem can be wall mounted, and is the preferred method as it helps to keep them cooler. No idea about the home hub though.

That's good to know. I just bet it won't be the same spacing/mounting as my Be Box. Hopefully I can re-use one of the holes though.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 27-Oct-12 17:22:41
Print Post

That's good to know. I just bet it won't be the same spacing/mounting as my Be Box. Hopefully I can re-use one of the holes though.

Spacing is 100mm on both ECI and the Huawei modems, the Huawei can be mounted vertically as well.

Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Tue 30-Oct-12 11:47:14
Print Post

Wasn't there someone with a P10 install today?

Wondering how it went... Mine's 8am tomorrow
Standard User mitchy87
(newbie) Tue 30-Oct-12 14:08:13
Print Post

I've had my Infinity installed on P10 just now. Took the engineer about 30 minutes as there wasn't any faults on the line. My speed estimate was 51 down and 13 up, but I'm connected at 80 down and 20 up. smile
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Tue 30-Oct-12 15:11:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by mitchy87:
I've had my Infinity installed on P10 just now. Took the engineer about 30 minutes as there wasn't any faults on the line. My speed estimate was 51 down and 13 up, but I'm connected at 80 down and 20 up. smile

Fantastic. Good news that it's all gone well. I'm about 0.6 miles from the cabinet so I'm not expecting miracles.

30 Down would be amaze. Checker estimates 36.
(learned) Wed 31-Oct-12 07:49:37
Print Post

Just had the call so I'm next.

My estimate was only 36 down - 80 is super-fast isn't it?
Is that a distance thing then?

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by distantdave (Wed 31-Oct-12 07:52:02)

(learned) Wed 31-Oct-12 09:18:18
Print Post

Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 39992 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 9996 kbps

Looks good - external speed tests indicate 20-24mb so far...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2276278897.png

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13516...

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by distantdave (Wed 31-Oct-12 10:48:14)

Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Wed 31-Oct-12 10:43:18
Print Post

20-24mb so far...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2276278897.png

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13516...

I'm getting this!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2276366004.png

45 Down, 12 Up

That looks suspiciously like the limit of my AV200 homeplugs. It's the best I ever manage from my NAS.

Everything is just like grease off a stick
Standard User daveyham
(newbie) Wed 31-Oct-12 13:08:09
Print Post

Exellent speeds. 9th nov for me. Cannot wait.
HarpingOn could you up your homeplugs to 500's ?
(learned) Wed 31-Oct-12 13:31:47
Print Post

Getting half what my SKY router says I should.

Off to the SKY forums for me...

Sky Fibre - Oct 31 2012

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Wed 31-Oct-12 15:34:19
Print Post

I could do that, but I only just upgraded from 85Mbps ones to 200s.

It's quite expensive as I need 6. Kind of fell for the hype thinking that 200s would be fast enough. And a deal came up on 200Mbps twin packs for £28 a little while back. Still nearly a hundred quid though.

They kind of are, I was only expecting mid 30s Mbps from my Infinity, but turns out at the moment getting 40-mumble.

I measure raw throughput with dd/netcat to my NAS over these things at 46Mbps, so unless my broadband gets significantly faster, I dont' think I need to upgrade the home plugs. It's just good enough.

I might make more use of Wireless N.
Standard User mitchy87
(newbie) Wed 31-Oct-12 15:37:23
Print Post

One day on and my connection has been solid, just about at 40gb downloaded already!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2276854360.png

HarpingOn - I have some 200mbps Homeplugs too (they just connect my Sky box to my router), the maximum I've seen the transfer at is 75mbps.
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Wed 31-Oct-12 15:50:56
Print Post

Our house has separate upstairs and downstairs rings in the CU so I suspect this to be the cause. 45M is just about fast enough. I don't have a wireless N device to try it with, see if it goes faster.

I'll try a wired laptop in there later, see if that helps.

Edited by HarpingOn (Wed 31-Oct-12 17:30:23)

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 01-Nov-12 00:07:37
Print Post

Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 39992 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 9996 kbps

Looks good - external speed tests indicate 20-24mb so far...

Wired or wireless? Mine limits around 24Mbps on wireless (G at 54Mbps, not N) - even with an 80/20 sync.

I've also seen limitations wth XP compared with Windows 7; the browser used can make a dfference too.
(regular) Thu 01-Nov-12 07:52:19
Print Post

Directly wired laptop.

Win 7 - multiple browsers.

Sky Fibre - Oct 31 2012

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 01-Nov-12 09:05:35
Print Post

Seems like the sky half speed issue =/

BTInfinity

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User daveyham
(newbie) Thu 01-Nov-12 09:53:39
Print Post

Hi Dave what router did sky send you?
Is it the new sky hub they have just started sending out as thats what they say I'll be getting.
(regular) Thu 01-Nov-12 10:04:18
Print Post

Nope - a Sagem thing.

Sky Fibre - Oct 31 2012

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Wed 07-Nov-12 16:35:28
Print Post

Anyone on p10 (or, I guess other Pegswood cab) have an outage today?

I came back home to find the internets DOWN

Only had the thing a few days. Seems to be back now, but no way of telling what happened.
Standard User daveyham
(newbie) Fri 09-Nov-12 14:54:57
Print Post

Anyone on p10 (or, I guess other Pegswood cab) have an outage today?

I came back home to find the internets DOWN

Only had the thing a few days. Seems to be back now, but no way of telling what happened.

I've been connected today along with 1 other that I know of.
On P10 so maybe the guy had to switch it off for a while to connect us.
Seems plausible.
Standard User daveyham
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-12 12:55:24
Print Post

Getting half what my SKY router says I should.

Off to the SKY forums for me...

Hi dave have you tried different speed checkers as I have roughly the same results (21 Mbps download) as you using the thinkbroadband speed checker .
With others I'm getting close to 38 Mbps download.
I'm with sky too.
I'll refer you to this.
http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=28...

Edited by daveyham (Sat 10-Nov-12 13:02:03)

Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Sat 10-Nov-12 18:43:36
Print Post

I find the speedtest.net one pretty good.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to