General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User asbokid
(member) Fri 22-Jun-12 02:24:10
Print Post

Re: How are these stats looking?

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
Statistics: http://i.imgur.com/JxkxH.png

Opinions? Many thanks in advance.

It's been said before that your line performs extremely well.

The attainable net data rate is very close to 100Mbps Down / 30Mbps Up. That is excellent.

See: http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/8548598/img/ixel...

If there is anything noteworthy at all, it is the time-dependent noise on Thurs 21/06/2012

Re-arranging the graphs aids our scrutiny. We can that the noise causing frame errors was focussed to specific times.

See: http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/8548588/img/Pict...

The errors abruptly start at midnight and abruptly stop at 6.30. That would suggest they are caused by a noisy electrical appliance that is energised through a timeswitch. What could that be?

It is not something that Openreach would have any remit or responsibility to fix, but maybe for your own curiosity you could try and find the source of the noise?

The radio frequency interference (if that is the cause of this noise) could be ingressing your DSL line anywhere between your modem and the DSLAM. The physical location of the noise could also be a considerable distance further away.

cheers, a

P.S. Your line is performing so well, I personally wouldn't bother!

Edited by asbokid (Fri 22-Jun-12 03:53:24)

Standard User Ixel
(learned) Fri 22-Jun-12 09:52:57
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

I see. Thanks. Yes I know the speeds on my line excellent, despite not quite reaching the 79999 actual sync due to these errors caused by some interference somewhere at a certain time. Well I'll try and locate the problem using a radio, following the path my line goes when the errors go up. If I find the cause I'll post it here incase anyone's curious to know.

Regarding the faceplate filter, do you think I should buy a new VDSL BT Openreach one, get BT to send a replacement, or just stick to the ADSLNation XTE-2005 one I have on at the moment?

Thanks again.
Standard User Ixel
(learned) Fri 22-Jun-12 13:25:24
Print Post

Another update from this morning. Just checked my sync and interleaving depth and I've once again been knocked down with an increase in the depth. Still, the download speeds are excellent so long as this doesn't continue on the decline every couple of days by DLM.

At 5:15am~ today I lost sync, but not due to a burst of noise or anything, line was actually reasonable from the graphs I've looked at, so I can only presume DLM decided to do this based on past data. My new sync has now dropped from 73322 to 62966, upload remains at 20000, and interleaving depth is now 1709 (I think it was 1543 or something like that before) on the downstream. As long as depth doesn't go up again and/or downstream doesn't go further down then I'm happy, just a little disheartening though frown.

Is it normal for bitswap on the downstream to increment virtually every second or two?

Edited by Ixel (Fri 22-Jun-12 13:27:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Jun-12 13:30:11
Print Post

Where are you checking the interleaving depth? Those are very strange numbers.

I get mine from the D: line in the xdslcmd info --stats output.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Ixel
(learned) Fri 22-Jun-12 14:41:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Exactly where you've said, xdslcmd info --stats.

Here's a link to the latest output of that: http://pastebin.com/4UqAfVdc

With interleaving depth increased more and sync decreased the error counts have dropped to virtually nothing, so I'm hoping this is the final time DLM will make things worse speed wise.

Edited by Ixel (Fri 22-Jun-12 14:43:12)

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Fri 22-Jun-12 14:59:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hey RobertoS,

We're not all "happy bunnies" on more than 40Mb with Interleaving at 1 & 1 you know wink

Following loads of repair works my interleaving depths are currently down to 453 & 1, but have been at various depths right up to 1700, in very odd looking increments at times.
Standard User Ixel
(learned) Fri 22-Jun-12 15:55:50
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

I'd be happy with something like 50Mbps downstream with an interleaving depth on minimal levels or not at all. My depth is over 1700 now, which slightly worries me. The connection seemed fine on the interleaving depth that I previously had, with 73322 downstream, but DLM didn't seem to agree.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Fri 22-Jun-12 16:17:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ixel:
. . . Well I'll try and locate the problem using a radio, following the path my line goes when the errors go up. If I find the cause I'll post it here incase anyone's curious to know.
Yes, please do. (Felines are naturally curious. wink )
Regarding the faceplate filter, do you think I should buy a new VDSL BT Openreach one, get BT to send a replacement, or just stick to the ADSLNation XTE-2005 one I have on at the moment?
You might as well stick with your ADSL Nation centralised filter, as it is installed and operating correctly. Although the current SSFPs (installed by Openreach) are Pressac manufactured products, there is a gathering body of evidence that there is something "not quite right" either in the design or the construction. So as things stand, if in doubt, replace the Openreach installed SSFP with the earlier version (once again a Pressac manufactured device) or the ADSL Nation device.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Jun-12 00:20:20
Print Post

Yuk frown.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Jun-12 00:23:05
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

I'm surprised how you put up with me and the others, given your messy line.

I had my troubles back in ADSL Max days, and also on O2. Maybe I've used my quota.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to