General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 29-Jun-12 20:54:00
Print Post

Re: ADSL24 FTTC Router Question

[re: drws] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

I found another review earlier today, dated later than the one I mentioned, that referred to version 3.0.0.3.108 and wondered about their numbering system crazy

It just confirmed that it supported IPv6 but didn't say whether it worked or not... maybe the reviewer didn't have an IPv6 connection tongue

The main thing is that they evidently knew about it and applied a fix... I'll be interested to hear how you get on, but I can see my credit card cowering in the corner as I type smile

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User drws
(newbie) Sat 30-Jun-12 15:52:50
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

ipv6 works fine on my aaisp link with the n66u.
setup as 'native' and entered my static ipv6 subnet and it worked. (Turn on RA to advertise to your local clients if you need to)
I went to test-ipv6.com and got 10/10 for ipv4 and ipv6.
And pass on http://ipv6test.google.com/

The pppoe MTU in the web interface won't let you enter numbers above 1492, but you can set it via telnet if you want 1500 byte mtu (assuming you're ISP supports it)
Standard User drws
(newbie) Sun 01-Jul-12 21:38:02
Print Post

Been another day on the N66U, still impressed.
I just found out that the firmware supports optware

I stuck a 32Gb USB pen drive in and have been adding a few extra packages to aid in the tinkering.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 28-Jul-12 14:44:39
Print Post

Hey folks, Mancine here (forgot my login), another quick couple of questions if you'll indulge me... will get the Asus N66 router methinks, but have to save a few pennies first... only thing is ADSL 24's offer on £30 FTTC installation closes at the end of July.

So if I order it and get upgraded, I can get the router later - and just run the BT Openreach VDSL modem as my internet connection. Can I run that over a homeplug powerline adapter?

As my modem is downstairs, at the phone point, and computers up in the study, upstairs - linked via homeplugs. If I plug the VDSL modem into the homeplug downstairs, will I be able to connect my PC upstairs, on the other end of the homeplug? (Or indeed, my 2 computers upstairs, both on homeplugs?). Probably a stupid question - don't see any reason why not??

Also, does an Xbox just plug straight into the VDSL modem and work? (So I can just temporarily switch between PC and XBox, by unplugging/plugging their respective ethernet cables in, until I buy my router, basically)?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 28-Jul-12 14:49:42
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Yes, that will work. Alternatively if you get the Huawei HG612, you can load the hacked firmware and use it as a modem/router.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Sat 28-Jul-12 20:42:08
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Yes, you can plug the router in to a homeplug, then plug the other homeplug in to your PC and then set up the PC to dial a PPPoE connection (until you get a router).

Yes, you can also pug in to an XBox and set the XBox to dial a PPPoE connection also I believe!

james

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Jul-12 21:49:51
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
Yes, you can plug the router in to a homeplug
I think you mean plug the modem into a Homeplug.

I don't think the follow-up, of two computers on Homeplugs at the other end is going to work though, unless the modem is hacked and used as a modem/router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 28-Jul-12 21:50:28)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 28-Jul-12 21:55:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

or only one is plugged in at a time
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
(So I can just temporarily switch between PC and XBox, by unplugging/plugging their respective ethernet cables in, until I buy my router, basically)?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Jul-12 22:13:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

True, but I think he has three devices. Two computers and the XBox.

As you say, any one at a time should work so long as the others are not connected.

If he already has the Homeplugs, all well and good. If not, a waste of money buying them as 500Mbps or at least 200Mbps are needed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 29-Jul-12 18:29:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies, guys, much appreciated. Yeah I have 2 PCs and an Xbox... aye, of course both PCs won't work at the same time, doh (without hacking or whatever, as you said!).

I do have Homeplugs already, yeah, although they're 3 years old now and the 85mbps Solwise variety. Is that not fast enough to carry the full bandwidth from FTTC? I'll probably get around 60Mbps on FTTC, according to the rough estimate - should that be the case, would my Homeplugs not handle that?

Actually saw another post of yours, RobertoS, and your recommedation to get the Buffalo AirStation Nfiniti WHR-G300... at that low price, tempted to grab that, for now, and upgrade in the future.

I'll just be using it wired though (is it possible to switch off wireless?) Also have read a few people moaning about the setup/interface, but take it you had no bother with it in that repect?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to