General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Jul-12 22:41:04
Print Post

Re: ADSL24 FTTC Router Question

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Yes you can switch off the wireless.

I tried twice to set it up manually and failed miserably. The Setup Wizard works perfectly. I usually hate the things, but this one is fine.

Are you sure the problems haven't been to do with the gigabit-LAN version? That's a different firmware by default - DD-WRT I think. The first couple I saw flashed it with the bog standard Buffalo firmware for it and it was OK then.

The interface on mine is OK except one of the lines is half-obscured. But what's there is easy enough to work out.

The fact it was so cheap, and could be sent back anyway, was the clincher for me.

I don't know if you also saw that when I moved to Plusnet FTTC from IDNet FTTC they supply a "free" Netgear N150 WNR1000. I've stopped using that as my primary connection is wireless and the Buffalo is better in that respect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 30-Jul-12 07:43:28)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 01-Aug-12 18:26:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your help RobertoS, very much appreciated.

Have bought the "newer" version of the router on Amazon, as it was just £24! Bargain...

Looking forward to FTTC. Btw, you mentioned about 85Mbps homeplugs slowing the connection - will they not deliver the full bandwidth from a (say) 60Mbps FTTC connect?
Standard User simon194
(member) Wed 01-Aug-12 19:28:30
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thanks for all your help RobertoS, very much appreciated.

Have bought the "newer" version of the router on Amazon, as it was just £24! Bargain...

Looking forward to FTTC. Btw, you mentioned about 85Mbps homeplugs slowing the connection - will they not deliver the full bandwidth from a (say) 60Mbps FTTC connect?

I wouldn't go for anything less that AV500 homeplugs. I had some AV200 that maxed out at about 25Mbps, they could only connect at about 70Mbps. I have some Solwise AV500's now, which connect at about 275Mbps, and they are quite happy transferring data at 110Mbps from my media server and around 30Mbps on my fibre connection (which can achieve 38Mbps direct from the router).

As a rule of thumb you can expect between a 15% and 35% reduction in throughput, depending on the brand, because the data is encrypted/decrypted in realtime between the plugs. The cheaper plugs tend to have the highest overhead because they generally use a slower ASIC to do the processing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 04-Aug-12 10:13:15
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Thanks Simon, guess I need to upgrade homeplugs or go wireless smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to