General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 05-Jul-12 09:07:44
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTP Trial - Is it worth it?

[re: beercan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by beercan:
The usage limit is the key sticking point really as I manage a charity's website and email comms and do a lot of uploading of event photos to Flickr and downloading website backups etc so I think I'll easily exceed the cap.

Do you know what your current usage is? You really need to be doing masses of downloading or streaming during the chargeable time to get anywhere near 120GB a month; from your description, unless you are talking about thousands of pictures I would be very surprised if you came near it.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
ISP Representative DaveTomlinson
(isp) Thu 05-Jul-12 12:10:16
Print Post

Pro doesn't remove the 120GB limit just the rate limits on the speed. If though you can automate some of the stuff like the website backups to happen between midnight and 8am then that usage doesn't count towards the 120GB allowance so that might help.

Essentially we've designed the products to encourage people to shift some of the heavier usage that isn't time critical (like file downloads) to happen overnight which gives us the benefit of a lower peak time demand, so a lower cost to us and a lower subscription fee for our products.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Product Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User beercan
(learned) Thu 05-Jul-12 20:15:46
Print Post

[re: DaveTomlinson] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your comments everyone. You've been very helpful.

I could certainly look at scheduling the site backups etc.
I also use my xbox 360 online, youtube for music vids and last FM. I also have Sky anytime+ and watch a lot of films so this uses quite a few mb, but AFAIK you cannot schedule downloads on it. frown

Unfortunately as the sky BB is unlimited they don't allow you to use a usage monitor so I've been using PRTG Network Monitor. This reports a total usage of 46.1 Gigs in the 6 days I've been using it! (and I don't even use torrents or p2p etc)... PRTG doesn't however split reports by hours of day (that I can find), only days of week.

Regards

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 05-Jul-12 21:16:44
Print Post

Right, it's all that stuff that will be eating up the bandwidth, not the charity website stuff you mentioned in the previous post!

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User beercan
(learned) Thu 05-Jul-12 21:21:43
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Yeah it wasn't til I listed it all that I realised just how much I do through my connection! laugh
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-12 23:13:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by beercan:
Yeah it wasn't til I listed it all that I realised just how much I do through my connection! laugh

It'll be the Anytime+ stuff, movies in HD for example can easily be 5 to 7 GB each or even more.

James - be* pro - 16.8mbps sync - BQM
FTTC cab arrived 18-jun-2012 (due Mar 2011) - Openreach estimate 44.6Mbps / 6.5Mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to