General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scott1990
(newbie) Tue 26-Feb-13 23:12:50
Print Post

Re: Bannockburn FTTC (RFS 01/06/12)

[re: Kev73] [link to this post]

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/B...

What does this checker say Kev73?
Standard User Kev73
(newbie) Tue 26-Feb-13 23:21:13
Print Post

[re: scott1990] [link to this post]

I have to use the postcode checker on this (have a sky phone line) and it shows no availability or even a mention of WBC FTTC at all on this.

I have sent an email to Openreach to see if they can give an update. I'll be gutted if our street is going to miss out!

Cheers!
Standard User scott1990
(newbie) Tue 26-Feb-13 23:30:52
Print Post

Not looking good to be honest, hope you here some good news back from them!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnnydcowie
(newbie) Wed 27-Feb-13 20:09:34
Print Post

I have spoke with a BT engineer regarding the last estate built by Ogilvie in Cowie, where you live. He said that your cabinet is sited right at the start of your estate on the main road, and because there has not been enough interest registered with BT regarding fibre optic it will not be upgraded. You will need to chap doors and ask people to register an interest or you wont get the upgrade. Bad news but I hope this info helps.
Standard User Kev73
(newbie) Wed 27-Feb-13 23:01:50
Print Post

[re: johnnydcowie] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply johnnydcowie!

Looks like I'll have to think about canvassing the estate to get more folk signed up or I'll be stuck on 2mbps forever!!

Does anyone know if it is a percentage of people who are attached to a cabinet that have to register interest or is it on numbers of people who register as I believe there may only be 100 or so properties attached to this cabinet so potentially would never reach a required amount should it be a certain number to make it worthwhile (if you know what I'm getting at)

Cheers
Standard User wrightie
(member) Thu 28-Feb-13 20:56:22
Print Post

At long last!! Goodbye 2mb!

Ordered, being installed Thurs 7th March, hardware on its way. Plusnet advise 48.5Mb down 8Mb up but have said it underestimates it, so will prob get higher. Anything is better than what I currently have.

For any other Cowie residents here, you may be interested to know that the reason the broadband is so slow in the village is down to the cables coming from the Exchange, which are in a very poor state and most of which struggle to cope when ADSL is applied to the circuit. When I moved into the village I was told by BT I would be lucky to get 1mb. I went with Plusnet as my ISP who thought I could get higher, the highest speed I had was a steady 4.5Mb download synching at 5Mb. This did not last long before a fault developed.

Over the past 12 months I have had 15+ Openreach engineer visits, who have swapped pairs, done a lift and shift, changed lines between cabinet and house etc. Every single time the "fault" was fixed, I would get a good speed which would then drop like a stone, then the line would go faulty again. The cables are unable to cope and Plusnet raised these concerns with Openreach via Wholesale, as you may have guessed Openreach could not care less and denied there was anything wrong with the cables as they can support PSTN service and therefore they have fulfilled their obligation as ADSL is not guaranteed. However, they are prepared to just continue to send staff to juggle with the lines until they hit a good one!

I'll be glad to see the back of the ADSL speeds and the hassle Openreach have caused with their total disregard for their network, and their "customers" I just hope that this FTTC will be trouble free. To those of you on the other side of the road served by the small cabinet 22, get in touch with your MP's who in turn will hassle Openreach as I am not sure chapping doors locally will help. I think that the only reason we got FTTC was Openreach knew the state of the main cables was poor and it was cheaper to leave them there and run fibre which will take a number of ADSL customers off those connections thus easing the pressure on the existing infrastructure, and saving them a fair bit of cash in the process! And to all the frustrated Openreach engineers who tried their best over the past 12 months to increase the speeds, a massive thank you, it is unfortunate that your hands were tied by Openreach management who appear to care more about penny pinching than providing a good network!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."
Standard User gryffe
(newbie) Fri 01-Mar-13 13:54:34
Print Post

[re: wrightie] [link to this post]

Yep, finally available at Bannockburn P8. This is probably ahead of schedule, they told me early to mid march so I guess March 1 is VERY early March. Just the other day one of the checker sites still said March 2014!!. That site now says available so at least they realised their mistake.
Order placed, engineer visit to install booked for 8th March. Went for Infinity 2, the full bhoona!
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Fri 01-Mar-13 15:24:56
Print Post

[re: gryffe] [link to this post]

March 2014 is not a mistake, Openreach due to a recent ASA ruling are not allowed to shift the estimated dates back by 3 months, they now do it by 6-9 months.
In a few cases this has ment they put the date to March 2014 which is the end of the commercial rollout, though most cabinets with a March 2013 date previously will be enabled by then.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User Chalkyman
(learned) Sun 03-Mar-13 16:56:54
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

March 2014 is rubbish. Im on cabinet P2, and it started off December 2012, then June 2013, now 2014. Oh well, at least i'll get my full 12 months discounted ADSL with Plusnet
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sun 03-Mar-13 19:14:42
Print Post

[re: Chalkyman] [link to this post]

Read the last entry on the Openreach FAQ, have to wait for the cabinet to go live.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Sun 03-Mar-13 19:18:04)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to