General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 11-Oct-12 02:12:45
Print Post

Re: Bannockburn FTTC (RFS 01/06/12)

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

They re-shelled the old cab 17 last week, and there's roadwork signs now sitting beside the road ready to be put out... so good indications so far that they are getting ready to install a fibre cab close by.
Standard User veletron
(learned) Sun 14-Oct-12 23:40:20
Print Post

Hi

Yep, I saw that it had been re-shelled. I believe that they got some power into the vicinity at the same time for the new FTTC cab. Further roadworks at Cab 17 are scheduled from 15th to 20th of this month. roadworksscotland.org

I had hoped that my cabinet was closer. Its 1KM away line of sight. The BT cables come up the pavement so they should be close to 1KM long also.

I'll still get a good boost... but nowhere near the 76/20Mbits headline figure, more like 35/5. If FTTH-On-Demand gets rolled out beyond the current trial exchanges it will be orderable for folks currently on FTTC. I note that FTTH-OD should be easy to deliver in my area - burried BT cables, frequent access hatches, and existing conduit under my garden.

Nigel
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 16-Oct-12 00:40:21
Print Post

[re: veletron] [link to this post]

Got this reply from openreach yesterday (15th Oct) to an email I sent them last month.... regarding fibre in my area.

Rather disappointing! - sounds like we ain't getting our fibre cab this week after all, or even this year by the sounds of things:

Good morning

Thank you for your email regarding the availability of fibre broadband to your area. I am sorry for the delay in responding.

I can confirm that the cabinet serving your property (PCP17) is part of the fibre roll out in Bannockburn. However, we have unfortunately experienced some delays with the work.

During our deployment we sometimes encounter problems with our roll out plan which can unfortunately result in a delay to our initial plans, delays vary from 3 months to 12 months depending on the scale of the problem. The sort of issues that we encounter are things like blocked underground cable routes, disputed land ownership and the existence of unrecorded underground lines for utility companies to name a few.

At present we are carrying out a new survey into the location of the fibre cabinet. Once this is complete we should be able to provide a date when we expect the cabinet to be ready to receive orders. I suggest that you check again at the beginning of 2013 at our website www.openreach-communications.co.uk/superfast/where-and-when when there should be some progress on the work

I am sorry I cannot give any further information at this time

Kind regards

Graeme Hughes, BMA613
Network Investment Customer Engagement
DSO | Openreach
Web: www.openreach.co.uk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 16-Oct-12 11:13:48
Print Post

Hi,

How do I find out which cabinet in Bannockburn I am connected to? I would like to find out if I will be affected by the delay you highlight in the post above. I notice there are currently roadworks at the Firs area in Bannockburn which are assigned to BT on roadworks.org - I guess the cabinet they are working on there would be the cabinet I am connected to as I live not to far from there but I'm not sure, Hopefully it is not cabinet PCP17 smile
Standard User veletron
(learned) Fri 19-Oct-12 08:59:47
Print Post

Well ain't that just wonderful! Maybe I need to find someone that did get connected, and setup a wifi link over the rooftops! Prob easier to move house.

Once I discovered that my post-FTTC speeds were not going to be anything to write home about I lost interest anyway.

At least you got a response - they never bothered to email me back.

BT - why am I surprised when they once again fail to deliver! Had similar issues with them 10 years ago when I ran the campaign for ADSL in Dunblane. ( http://web.archive.org/web/20021003040817/http://www... ). Amuses me that we struggled to get BT to roll out ADSL (trigger set at 650 initially), but that they got FTTC 12+ months ago.

Nigel

Edited by veletron (Fri 19-Oct-12 10:56:40)

Standard User veletron
(learned) Fri 19-Oct-12 09:05:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi,

How do I find out which cabinet in Bannockburn I am connected to? I would like to find out if I will be affected by the delay you highlight in the post above. I notice there are currently roadworks at the Firs area in Bannockburn which are assigned to BT on roadworks.org - I guess the cabinet they are working on there would be the cabinet I am connected to as I live not to far from there but I'm not sure, Hopefully it is not cabinet PCP17 smile

To find your cabinet, go here: http://fttc-check.alc.im/

There is quite a bit of work going on at the moment to connect Falin and Cowie. They'll probably discover similar issues that prevent roll-out at these locations too.

Incidentely, when they reshelled PCP17, I got an extra half megabit on ADSL2+ !! Prob some rusted out connector blocks in it.

BT: Ancient infrastructure sold to the public at premium prices!

Nigel
Standard User veletron
(learned) Fri 19-Oct-12 09:32:49
Print Post

I am rather concerned that BT will decide that this cabinet is 'too costly' to deploy on, and that we will forever more be left in the broadband slow-lane.

To this end, I have written to the community council and will likely do another leaflet campaign to all the houses on PCP17 to encourage pre-registration.

Maybe if I highlight the fact that if BT passes this cabinet by, then we may well forever-more be stuck in the broadband slow lane - folks will register their interest.

Nigel
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 19-Oct-12 19:45:09
Print Post

Thanks for the reply

I got the following info

"P8 90% 2.92 8a Part of deployment FTTC (Fiber to the Cabinet)
P14 9% 2.18 8a Part of deployment FTTC (Fiber to the Cabinet)"

So I'm either cabinet 8 or 14. Now I just need to find out where they are, and if they have the cab number on them!!
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Fri 19-Oct-12 20:44:56
Print Post

This is possibly P8 and this could be P14

FK78LG shows streetside Dslam cab, as does FK78NG on the Infinity checker, just scroll down, click I'm not with BT enter 999 as house number and enter the postcode,, click check now, then when it cant find the address just enter the postcode and click find address.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 19-Oct-12 21:33:29
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks Ronski. My postcode is FK7 8LW. If its anything to do with distance, I am closer to P8 than P14, although both are quite close. Don't think there is anything imminent, not saw any roadworks and roadworks scotland does not have any planned BT roadworks this side of christmas.
http://www.roadworksscotland.org/MapSearch.aspx?lat=...
Not looking good.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to