General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Oct-12 20:40:04
Print Post

Re: FTTC in Hastings Part 2

[re: sjr] [link to this post]

I finally got BT Infinity installed today. Estimate was 53Mb down and 13Mb up but I'm getting 66Mb down and 14Mb up smile
I've got an ECI modem so I have no idea how to get the line stats yet so all I have to go on is a speedtest.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sun 28-Oct-12 16:23:12
Print Post

[re: sjr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sjr:
I finally got BT Infinity installed today. Estimate was 53Mb down and 13Mb up but I'm getting 66Mb down and 14Mb up smile
I've got an ECI modem so I have no idea how to get the line stats yet so all I have to go on is a speedtest.

To get the line stats out of a ECI modem requires a hardware hack. The only other way is if you were with Sky because their router reports the sync speeds. I don't think the HH does.

The other option is to get hold of a Huawei and load the "hacked" firmware on it.

I'm getting speed tests around the 69 down and 16 Mbps up with the line syncing at just over 73/20 Mbps now that it switched back to fastpath.

Edited by simon194 (Sun 28-Oct-12 16:27:07)

Standard User Gandalf
(committed) Mon 12-Nov-12 11:29:33
Print Post

[re: Gandalf] [link to this post]

Well, Cab 3 on Baldslow is now ready for orders as of Friday 9th October laugh

Sadly my existing ISP (purely business) are unable to compete with the residential products from the likes of BT, Plusnet, Sky, etc so they have kindly offered me my MAC code and I've chosen to go with Plusnet mainly due to their UK call centre.

30th November is the scheduled install date, so lets see how we do on that! Speed estimate of 63 down 20 up too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Richeh
(committed) Thu 22-Nov-12 22:50:23
Print Post

I am now told I can get Inifity via there address checker!

The postcode checker still says 31/12/12 but I do assume this just hasn't been updated yet. My phone line is with Sky and there seems to be no way to check via their site as it is so poorly coded. If you enter the phone number it asks me to enter the address and the phone provider, except, theres no option for Sky only Other or BT, Tiscali etc so if I select other it tells me theres an error and it detects a Sky phone line.....no s**t.

Speeds only estimating 24.6 down and 5.7 up which is pretty much the same as before I moved back to my parents as I was connected directly to the exchange I got about 23MB down 2MB up but still, 3.5MB down and 800k up means I will happily take it!

Will phone Sky tomorrow and see if can sort it out over the phone. Hopefully there isn't a delay in Sky providing it as well.

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 23-Nov-12 00:33:56
Print Post

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

Most estimates are conservative anyway. You'll likely find that you'll get faster speeds than the estimates.

For example, I was estimated to get 58.5Mbps down and 18Mbps up, my line (on the HG612) can attain 93Mbps down and 29Mbps up.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Sun 09-Dec-12 14:24:30
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Fibre being installed tomorrow! Will let you know the stats I get. Am hoping for at least 30 just so its a nice little upgrade from the previous 24mb!

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sun 09-Dec-12 22:00:05
Print Post

I've got another 9 days to wait to get back onto fibre after my enforced move. frown The cab my place is connected to only went live 3 weeks ago.

Edited by simon194 (Sun 09-Dec-12 22:00:57)

Standard User Gandalf
(committed) Mon 10-Dec-12 08:39:11
Print Post

I forgot to update this, all connected now. Working great and the estimate of 63 was rather conservative. Plusnet shows that I'm connected at 78 and here is what I get from speedtest.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2341941452.png

Standard User Richeh
(committed) Mon 10-Dec-12 15:40:51
Print Post

Well so far so disappointing!

Engineer just been, very nice guy, estimate was 25 as said. Getting 14 down 7 up! so not thrilled. However have arranged with him to pop back tomorrow to put the master socket in my upstairs lounge as due to the nature of it I have to have a long ass cable going up the stairs to my lounge. After thats all done i'll see if the speed improves if not will probably be on the phone to Sky as a 10MB drop from 25MB is very noticeable!

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 16:11:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Richeh:
Well so far so disappointing!

Engineer just been, very nice guy, estimate was 25 as said. Getting 14 down 7 up! so not thrilled. However have arranged with him to pop back tomorrow to put the master socket in my upstairs lounge as due to the nature of it I have to have a long ass cable going up the stairs to my lounge. After thats all done i'll see if the speed improves if not will probably be on the phone to Sky as a 10MB drop from 25MB is very noticeable!

Reported it tuesday to Sky and the confirmed it wasn't right to be that low despite the trial period etc engineer came wednesday. Turns out my line is actually 1.1km long (both engineers said they would have guess 800) but the lines go all the way to the bottom of the road then back up. After a few BT restarts and some tweaking am on:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 18552 kbps 9004 kbps

Not great for fibre but pretty good for my circumstances apparently and can't complain when I was on 3.5mb/768k!

Although would say if anyone else is going to order go with BT, despite the higher price Sky have no idea what they're doing.

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to