General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Fri 29-Jun-12 18:23:35
Print Post

FTTC in Hastings Part 2

[link to this post]

Link to part 1:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4099695-ftt...

Thought I would create this as just discovered my mate in Berlin Road (Ore) can now get fibre. Annoying seeing as i'm on Baldslow and still can't get it grr!

BE 24MB:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,433 / 23,389
Standard User simon194
(member) Fri 29-Jun-12 22:01:00
Print Post

Re: FTTC in Hastings Part 2

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Richeh:
Link to part 1:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4099695-ftt...

Thought I would create this as just discovered my mate in Berlin Road (Ore) can now get fibre. Annoying seeing as i'm on Baldslow and still can't get it grr!

There's only 6 or 7 live cabs on the Baldslow exchange at the moment. A mate of mine on Little Ridge Avenue is one of the lucky ones.

Openreach seem to have a shortage of engineers to do installs in the Hastings area because the guy that did my install on the 21st June was a field engineer usually working on commissioning cabinets.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Jul-12 08:44:04
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Heres my speed test
400m from little ridge avenue cabinet (near tesco express)
http://speedtest.net/result/2038083774.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simon194
(member) Tue 03-Jul-12 10:19:21
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Heres my speed test
400m from little ridge avenue cabinet (near tesco express)
http://speedtest.net/result/2038083774.png

Here's mine, about 300m from the cab opposite Hughenden Road. I'm only on a 40/2 service at the moment.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2021260301.png
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-Jul-12 09:06:48
Print Post

I just got Infinity in Bohemia Road (nearer Silverhill end of Bohemia Road) after hearing a friend of mine being offered it in Amherst Road. Pretty happy with it so far, getting around 37-39Mb/s down and 14-18Mb/s up with a 16ms ping. BT said we should be getting between 50Mb/s down and 13Mb/s up but I'm happy with the current speed, it's a vast improvement on our previous BT Broadband of 5Mb/s down and 0.3Mb/s up with a 45ms ping.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 09-Jul-12 19:27:50
Print Post

I live in TN35 5HE there is a new cab at the end of the road but i am told by Zen that the cab in my Area will not go live for at lest 12 Months

If anyone can tell me when this area will go live i would be gratefull
Standard User Fibre_fan
(newbie) Wed 15-Aug-12 05:01:01
Print Post

Got hooked up yesterday - best engineer I've ever met, and local to my area smile

Signed up for the 80, but not seeing anything over 40 just yet.

Very happy fibre fan nowwink
Standard User simon194
(member) Wed 15-Aug-12 09:48:03
Print Post

[re: Fibre_fan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fibre_fan:
Got hooked up yesterday - best engineer I've ever met, and local to my area smile

Signed up for the 80, but not seeing anything over 40 just yet.

Very happy fibre fan nowwink

I've just switched from 40 to 80 and getting a tad under 70Mbps down and 16Mbps up which isn't bad considering I was told I would get around 59Mbps down.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Aug-12 13:16:50
Print Post

Lucky you, my cab still isn't live frown Gillsmans Hill area, still struggling along on 4 and a bit meg on 61db attenuation

Edited by sjr (Wed 15-Aug-12 13:18:16)

Standard User Fibre_fan
(newbie) Mon 20-Aug-12 18:05:39
Print Post

[re: sjr] [link to this post]

Simon did you see the improved speeds almost immediately?

I'm waiting patiently for the ten days to pass but i am not seeing encouraging results from random bt speed tests at 10 in the morning thus far.

I plan on resetting tonight, just in case, then I plan to start placing calls to bt from the end of the week if no improvements.

Not panicking yet smile lol
Standard User simon194
(member) Mon 20-Aug-12 21:48:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fibre_fan:
Simon did you see the improved speeds almost immediately?

I'm waiting patiently for the ten days to pass but i am not seeing encouraging results from random bt speed tests at 10 in the morning thus far.

I plan on resetting tonight, just in case, then I plan to start placing calls to bt from the end of the week if no improvements.

Not panicking yet smile lol

The increase was almost immediate but I didn't get the full speed until I rebooted the router. I'm not sure what was going on with it but the download and upload speeds were all over the place until I did.
Standard User Fibre_fan
(newbie) Thu 23-Aug-12 02:21:22
Print Post

Cheers thats very helpful I shall do that now myself - I wasn't going to as I'd seen 'some' improvements, but like you, they have still been sporadic.

Ta
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 23-Aug-12 09:51:23
Print Post

Rats, rats, and treble rats...

Just found out that the client I was hoping to get onto Infinity is, as BT calls them, EO.

Wellington Square is covered by 'Exchange Only' lines. No cabinet, therefore no FTTC, therefore no Infinity.
Basically anyone in the town centre within range of the exchange will have to wait for FTTP - Probably about 4 years away...

BTW - Does anyone else find the CAPTCHAs on this site virtually impossible to read? I'm on about my 20th refresh so far & the only one I thought I could read I got wrong...
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Aug-12 10:15:35
Print Post

Given the proximity of Wellington Sq to the exchange they should be able to get a very good ADSL2+ service there and you could perhaps look at bonding lines if more speed is needed.

Get yourself a login for the site and you won't see the Captchas. You'll also benefit from less ads, the ability to see updates to threads more clearly, and everybody else can see who is saying what as some threads can get a bit confusing with multiple anonymous posters.
Standard User simon194
(member) Thu 23-Aug-12 11:33:02
Print Post

Rats, rats, and treble rats...

Just found out that the client I was hoping to get onto Infinity is, as BT calls them, EO.

Wellington Square is covered by 'Exchange Only' lines. No cabinet, therefore no FTTC, therefore no Infinity.
Basically anyone in the town centre within range of the exchange will have to wait for FTTP - Probably about 4 years away...

BTW - Does anyone else find the CAPTCHAs on this site virtually impossible to read? I'm on about my 20th refresh so far & the only one I thought I could read I got wrong...

FTTP rollout in Hastings may start at the end of next year depending on the status of the FTTC rollout. The local council stumped up a considerable amount of money for the local "superfast" project. Openreach are also going to be offering Network Rearrangement as an option, but this may only be covered under the BDUK funding, which as I understand it is seen as a possible solution the EO lines problem.

Edited by simon194 (Thu 23-Aug-12 11:33:33)

Standard User Richeh
(committed) Wed 26-Sep-12 22:33:47
Print Post

So has anyone who had a 30th September date been able to order recently?

I can only get a mention of FTTC on the wholesale checker if I use the postcode search as I have a Sky landline the telephone checker doesn't work and the address checker doesn't mention FTTC. I'm on cabinet 8 of the Baldslow exchange which has 100% of the lines.

I would have thought it should roll over to end of December by now if it wasn't going to be upgraded but the cabinet I thought was mine that had a big fibre looking cabinet next to it actually turns out to be a Vodafone box frown

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...

Edited by Richeh (Wed 26-Sep-12 22:34:29)

Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Sep-12 11:34:59
Print Post

Yes, I was able to place an order last week; Hastings exchange, Gillsmans Hill area
Standard User Gandalf
(committed) Thu 27-Sep-12 14:40:09
Print Post

I'm on cabinet three, and it's still saying september. Also, checking the roadworks page here

I have this:
Description: Connections Highway Services: Connections NEW INDIVIDUAL SUPPLY Excavate joint bay and trench 5m in footway and 5m for cable ID for new service to BT cabinet. Footway - excavations

Due to start tomorrow smile So hopefully that's the last stage of getting my cabinet up and running laugh

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Oct-12 19:27:04
Print Post

[re: Gandalf] [link to this post]

Castleham Exchange has FTTC enable date is 2013 according to samknows.com
Standard User simon194
(member) Sat 27-Oct-12 00:39:50
Print Post

Castleham Exchange has FTTC enable date is 2013 according to samknows.com

It was announced at the end of last month. The target 100% fibre coverage in the town by the end of 2014 could be on the cards still as long a a viable solution to the exchange only lines becomes available.

I found an interesting item hidden away on the council's web site the other day which proposed another target of 100% FTTP availability by the end of 2017. The way it read the proposal was for proper FTTP, as in being able to order FTTP, rather than having to go down the potentially expensive "FTTP on Demand" route which will be available next year.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Oct-12 20:40:04
Print Post

I finally got BT Infinity installed today. Estimate was 53Mb down and 13Mb up but I'm getting 66Mb down and 14Mb up smile
I've got an ECI modem so I have no idea how to get the line stats yet so all I have to go on is a speedtest.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sun 28-Oct-12 16:23:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by sjr:
I finally got BT Infinity installed today. Estimate was 53Mb down and 13Mb up but I'm getting 66Mb down and 14Mb up smile
I've got an ECI modem so I have no idea how to get the line stats yet so all I have to go on is a speedtest.

To get the line stats out of a ECI modem requires a hardware hack. The only other way is if you were with Sky because their router reports the sync speeds. I don't think the HH does.

The other option is to get hold of a Huawei and load the "hacked" firmware on it.

I'm getting speed tests around the 69 down and 16 Mbps up with the line syncing at just over 73/20 Mbps now that it switched back to fastpath.

Edited by simon194 (Sun 28-Oct-12 16:27:07)

Standard User Gandalf
(committed) Mon 12-Nov-12 11:29:33
Print Post

Well, Cab 3 on Baldslow is now ready for orders as of Friday 9th October laugh

Sadly my existing ISP (purely business) are unable to compete with the residential products from the likes of BT, Plusnet, Sky, etc so they have kindly offered me my MAC code and I've chosen to go with Plusnet mainly due to their UK call centre.

30th November is the scheduled install date, so lets see how we do on that! Speed estimate of 63 down 20 up too.

Standard User Richeh
(committed) Thu 22-Nov-12 22:50:23
Print Post

I am now told I can get Inifity via there address checker!

The postcode checker still says 31/12/12 but I do assume this just hasn't been updated yet. My phone line is with Sky and there seems to be no way to check via their site as it is so poorly coded. If you enter the phone number it asks me to enter the address and the phone provider, except, theres no option for Sky only Other or BT, Tiscali etc so if I select other it tells me theres an error and it detects a Sky phone line.....no s**t.

Speeds only estimating 24.6 down and 5.7 up which is pretty much the same as before I moved back to my parents as I was connected directly to the exchange I got about 23MB down 2MB up but still, 3.5MB down and 800k up means I will happily take it!

Will phone Sky tomorrow and see if can sort it out over the phone. Hopefully there isn't a delay in Sky providing it as well.

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 23-Nov-12 00:33:56
Print Post

Most estimates are conservative anyway. You'll likely find that you'll get faster speeds than the estimates.

For example, I was estimated to get 58.5Mbps down and 18Mbps up, my line (on the HG612) can attain 93Mbps down and 29Mbps up.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Sun 09-Dec-12 14:24:30
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Fibre being installed tomorrow! Will let you know the stats I get. Am hoping for at least 30 just so its a nice little upgrade from the previous 24mb!

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sun 09-Dec-12 22:00:05
Print Post

I've got another 9 days to wait to get back onto fibre after my enforced move. frown The cab my place is connected to only went live 3 weeks ago.

Edited by simon194 (Sun 09-Dec-12 22:00:57)

Standard User Gandalf
(committed) Mon 10-Dec-12 08:39:11
Print Post

I forgot to update this, all connected now. Working great and the estimate of 63 was rather conservative. Plusnet shows that I'm connected at 78 and here is what I get from speedtest.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2341941452.png

Standard User Richeh
(committed) Mon 10-Dec-12 15:40:51
Print Post

Well so far so disappointing!

Engineer just been, very nice guy, estimate was 25 as said. Getting 14 down 7 up! so not thrilled. However have arranged with him to pop back tomorrow to put the master socket in my upstairs lounge as due to the nature of it I have to have a long ass cable going up the stairs to my lounge. After thats all done i'll see if the speed improves if not will probably be on the phone to Sky as a 10MB drop from 25MB is very noticeable!

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 16:11:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Richeh:
Well so far so disappointing!

Engineer just been, very nice guy, estimate was 25 as said. Getting 14 down 7 up! so not thrilled. However have arranged with him to pop back tomorrow to put the master socket in my upstairs lounge as due to the nature of it I have to have a long ass cable going up the stairs to my lounge. After thats all done i'll see if the speed improves if not will probably be on the phone to Sky as a 10MB drop from 25MB is very noticeable!

Reported it tuesday to Sky and the confirmed it wasn't right to be that low despite the trial period etc engineer came wednesday. Turns out my line is actually 1.1km long (both engineers said they would have guess 800) but the lines go all the way to the bottom of the road then back up. After a few BT restarts and some tweaking am on:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 18552 kbps 9004 kbps

Not great for fibre but pretty good for my circumstances apparently and can't complain when I was on 3.5mb/768k!

Although would say if anyone else is going to order go with BT, despite the higher price Sky have no idea what they're doing.

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User simon194
(committed) Mon 07-Jan-13 17:25:18
Print Post

Just a heads up for anyone living in Westfield connected to the Baldslow exchange, fibre is apparently available to order from tomorrow (8th Jan).
Standard User peterthepiper
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-13 18:05:33
Print Post

I'm technically part of Westfield but as I'm on the A21 I'm stuck in the slow lane, happy for Westfield though.

Standard User SalJam
(newbie) Sat 19-Jul-14 19:01:25
Print Post

[re: peterthepiper] [link to this post]

I know i'm resurrecting an old thread, but currently there are building works near cabinet 29. Namely, on the road and on the road side of the fence, on the grassy area. It finally looks like open reach are putting in an FTTC cabinet. Just last week Thursday 17 July, i saw an openreach engineer in the cabinet itself.
Standard User SalJam
(newbie) Mon 21-Jul-14 16:00:43
Print Post

Sorry for double post, but i have found this :
"HASTINGS 29 278628 - 10 DAY POWER AND DSLAM:STREET CABINET& POWER INSTALLATION. Excavate to lay app.."
This is from the east sussex county council roadworks website. Its looks as though we may have fttc by the end of september estimated date.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Mon 21-Jul-14 16:12:43
Print Post

[re: SalJam] [link to this post]

I drove past there today on my way back from getting a new tyre fitted to the car and there wasn't any work going on.

I wonder what fibre cab is going to be installed. The last three I know about have all been Huawei 288's instead of ECI's like the rest of town.
Standard User Als
(experienced) Thu 24-Jul-14 18:49:49
Print Post

Roadworks.org says 'HASTINGS 29 278628 - 10 DAY POWER AND DSLAM:STREET CABINET& POWER INSTALLATION. Excavate to lay app...'
So we may get fibre by the end of the year but I wouldn't bet any money on it...

Als

Edited by Als (Thu 24-Jul-14 18:56:22)

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Fri 25-Jul-14 00:17:00
Print Post

[re: Als] [link to this post]

The BT Wholesale checker, www.dslchecker.bt.com, is currently showing estimates for cab 29 with an availability date of 30-Sep-14 so hopefully it will be before then assuming there aren't any unexpected problems.

Edited by simon194 (Fri 25-Jul-14 00:19:52)

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 02-Aug-14 00:55:26
Print Post

Drove down Frederick Road this afternoon and a Huawei 288 cab has been stood and also PCP 34 on White Rock Road also has a Huawei 288 attached. I also spotted what looks like a Huawei 128 cab at the top of Ivyhouse Lane but there were barriers obscuring a much of it.
Standard User SalJam
(newbie) Fri 08-Aug-14 07:43:42
Print Post

Im checking the when and where site daily, waiting for a response. They have a beta site now that shows our cabinet as :
Enabled area

"Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you canít place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later."

From reading a few FTTC install diary's, the 30th of september could be correct. It appears to be approx 5-8 weeks after the cabinet is installed, before ordering is available. We need to see openreach engineers there i think to patch us in first. I think the fact that they dug for electrical connections and placed it so near to the manhole may save us one step in the process.
Standard User Als
(experienced) Sun 28-Sep-14 07:39:23
Print Post

The Infinity checker now says 'Fibre optic broadband is estimated to be in your area between October 2014 and March 2015'.
Sigh

Als
Standard User Als
(experienced) Mon 22-Dec-14 16:26:42
Print Post

Fibre is now available smile

Its been a long wait

Als
Standard User SalJam
(newbie) Thu 25-Dec-14 12:42:57
Print Post

Yep, ordered myself on the 23rd. Now waiting for sky to move on from processing order.
I missed the fibre being put in, so i guess we were waiting for power, as that was done about two weeks ago.
Standard User Als
(experienced) Tue 13-Jan-15 09:31:41
Print Post

I was connected yesterday - 74Mb down, 18Mb up smile

Als

Edited by Als (Tue 13-Jan-15 09:39:04)

Standard User SalJam
(newbie) Wed 14-Jan-15 20:06:26
Print Post

Really? I had a sky order booked for the 13th and openreach cancelled it on the morning of. Sky are being funny about re ordering now. Thats annoying, as obviously the cabinet works. May i ask which road / distance from the cabinet?

Edited by SalJam (Wed 14-Jan-15 20:07:00)

Standard User Als
(experienced) Fri 16-Jan-15 20:18:07
Print Post

Yes smile
My adsl was with Sky, after they moved me from O2 last February. My line rental is with BT - I paid a year up front last June. I migrated to Plusnet after Sky refused to give me fibre if I didnt take their line rental.

Als
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to