General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jul-12 09:50:34
Print Post

Re: Understanding speedtest results

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

With our use of 1024 versus the 1000 of the others at 40 million bits per second, we would display a figure of 38.1Mbps, but some of the others a figure of 40 Mbps

The upstream is intriguing as fast non-fttc lines can happily exceed the 10 Meg limit some suggest we have on upstream.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 05-Jul-12 09:52:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The upstream is intriguing as fast non-fttc lines can happily exceed the 10 Meg limit some suggest we have on upstream.

I get the same issue with the BT beta tester, which also never reports over 10Mbps for my connection, like TBB. Other testers report around 17.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jul-12 09:57:09
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I've seen speedtest.net over estimate on upstream i.e. go above sync speed, and if this is a scale issue it could explain their better upstream figures.

Has anyone got anything out of ookla to explain its vagueries?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 05-Jul-12 10:01:41
Print Post

With our use of 1024 versus the 1000 of the others at 40 million bits per second, we would display a figure of 38.1Mbps, but some of the others a figure of 40 Mbps

Noted - but I convert 35.4 (TBB) Mbps (35.4*1.0242) >>> 37.12

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 05-Jul-12 10:17:12
Print Post

I've seen speedtest.net over estimate on upstream i.e. go above sync speed,

It's never actually done that for me, I have had maybe one or two excessive downstream results, but nothing for a long time now, it has been remarkably consistent, nice flat graph!

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-12 11:51:22
Print Post

I've seen speedtest.net over estimate on upstream i.e. go above sync speed, and if this is a scale issue it could explain their better upstream figures.
My upstream test with a friend was pretty definitive. He downloaded a 100MB file from my FTP server and timed it with his watch. I'd say that trumps anything any speed tester or even the Windows download dialog claims. If memory serves it came in at 1.5MB/s or 12.4Mb/s. He only has a 15Mb/s sync so all things considered I think it's safe to 'dismiss' the TBB result and go with what the other testers say.

But to be clear here: I don't blame TBB. I know other people can get higher upload reported. I frankly don't know what the problem unless it just happens to be the peer link from IDNet to TBB. I'll do a trace route tonight and list the servers.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Thu 05-Jul-12 11:51:51)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-Jul-12 14:33:01
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

It's moved on a bit and a big thank you to all the posters - I was worried that it wasn't working properly and would need to get someone in to look at it, but happy to take it that it is just part of the vagueries of speed tester broadband connections...

To be honest,I'm coming from a 1meg adsl line so any increase is noticeable, but as is my way with technology the screen on my laptop packed up today so I can't rerun the tests plugged into the router (main pc is upstairs and connected via powerline but that is giving me the same kind of results).

Once again, many thanks.

Richard
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-12 14:43:22
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
To be honest,I'm coming from a 1meg adsl line so any increase is noticeable, but as is my way with technology the screen on my laptop packed up today so I can't rerun the tests plugged into the router (main pc is upstairs and connected via powerline but that is giving me the same kind of results).
You can never have too much speed smile

I don't need what I have. Most months I download less than 10GB. But when my speed dropped to 30Mb/s recently I was very annoyed. The fact that two months before I'd been very pleased about 11Mb/s is funny in hindsight.

To be honest I think most of my annoyance was over the impotence/disinterest of my ISP. I don't mind 'there's a fault, it should be fixed in a couple of weeks' but to be told that 30Mb/s from a 76Mb/s connection is fine and no point raising it with BT is infuriating.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to