General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Thu 19-Jul-12 19:10:40
Print Post

Bonded FTTC is nice :)

[link to this post]

We've got our 3 line rig set up and all working (finally). They each sync around 70Mb so around 68Mb IP profile.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2072673950.png

Not bad for MLPPP smile

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jjpearce
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-12 19:13:57
Print Post

Re: Bonded FTTC is nice :)

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

nice smile
Standard User kitcat
(member) Thu 19-Jul-12 19:40:44
Print Post

Very Nice, Will you be going for the FTTP on demand (330Mb) when it arrives ? seems like the only way to beat what you have now.

I presume you are running your website over this? or was it just to see what it could do so that you could offer the service to others?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(isp) Thu 19-Jul-12 19:49:53
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

No, its only used for the general office traffic. We don't host anything in the office as there is not enough resilience on this exchange.

James

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-Jul-12 20:27:41
Print Post

Is bonded FTTC available uto customers?

Thanks
(isp) Thu 19-Jul-12 20:56:51
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

We can do, but don't at present. This is largely to protect the network, as 10 people on a 3 line 80Mb bonded service will be using the same bandwidth on the network as 360 people on a 5Mbit ADSL connection! So it would just cause more chance of network congestion over time, and mean that everyone ends up with slower speeds as a result, thereby ultimately making the bonded connection pointless as it will be slower!

80Mb is enough for anyone at this moment in time, most servers can't give maximum download speeds anyway. We don't need higher than that in the office, but we're just testing the technology and possibilities out.

James

Edited by Adsl24 (Thu 19-Jul-12 20:58:47)

Standard User cmn
(member) Sat 21-Jul-12 06:57:38
Print Post

Pretty much on par with my 3 line bonded setup, it is very nice! What router? Using a Routerboard 450G here.

http://speedtest.net/result/2054732158.png
Standard User locutus
(committed) Sat 21-Jul-12 09:12:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
80Mb is enough for anyone at this moment in time,

Oh I don't know, there's always room for faster speeds. smile

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Hyperoptic 1Gig http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063605290.png
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 21-Jul-12 09:39:20
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by locutus:
80Mb is enough for anyone at this moment in time,

Oh I don't know, there's always room for faster speeds. smile
Remember he's talking from the ISP perspective.

Have you run a TBB speedtest?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User locutus
(committed) Sat 21-Jul-12 09:42:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Have you run a TBB speedtest?

Yes:

Congratulations!

You're on a very fast connection which appears to exceed 100 Mbps. This tester has been designed to test UK broadband connections, and we're passionate about producing accurate results, so at the moment we're not able to give you a test result that we can be confident is reliable. However at those speeds, you don't really need us to tell you, it's fast. Go surf!

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Hyperoptic 1Gig http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063605290.png
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 21-Jul-12 09:45:02
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

roflmfao

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User arfster
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jul-12 14:35:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Curious myself about this.

For consumers, wouldn't it just be simpler to get vdsl2 connections from two ISPs, and load balance via a router? Sure, you won't get 160mbit on a single connection, but is that an issue with any real world application?
(isp) Sat 21-Jul-12 19:20:04
Print Post

[re: cmn] [link to this post]

I found the routerboard 450G starts to struggle (CPU maxing at 100%) around 10Mb, so we now use a x86 machine running the RouterOS software and 4 NIC cards.

James

Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 21-Jul-12 20:33:22
Print Post

What is the CPU in your x86 machine, and how does it cope with the workload? smile
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jul-12 23:27:02
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
What is the CPU in your x86 machine, and how does it cope with the workload? smile

Since a Pentium 4 2.4GHz (northwood) can handle 1Gig Ethernet without hassle, I would assume anything relatively new (Core 2 Duo or above) should be fine!

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 21-Jul-12 23:29:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Well it's worth a check; depends how much CPU time is required to actually perform the load balancing, and (I presume?) manage things like QoS, the firewall etc.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 22-Jul-12 01:20:34
Print Post

It's bonding not load balancing

(isp) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:49:50
Print Post

Its a 2GHz AMD Athlon and only gets to around 40% utilisation during a full speed download

James

Standard User tuff
(learned) Tue 24-Jul-12 17:56:09
Print Post

what nics are you using james?

(isp) Tue 24-Jul-12 20:37:25
Print Post

[re: tuff] [link to this post]

1 Realtek Gigabit, 2 Realtek 10/10 cards and an onboard 10/100 VIA nic, so a real mix. The 10/100 are for the modems, and the gigabit connects to our network

James

Standard User Ev_Networks
(newbie) Tue 07-Aug-12 13:03:06
Print Post

Nice.

Weve found when bonding FTTC lines, especially with other technologies that you definitely need the horsepower both at the CPE and within the network. Generally speaking its just because of the sheer amount of data that is being shifted.

Bonding FTTC can be done with a CPE endpoint device though, and not just a high powered PC, and not just with MLPPP!

evolving networks
www.evolving-networks.co.uk
[email protected]
0845 652 2212
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 07-Aug-12 13:19:40
Print Post

[re: Ev_Networks] [link to this post]

The use of multiple usernames is not permitted on this bbs.

I won't take any action on this occasion, but select whichever username you prefer and stick to it in future.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 23-Aug-12 15:33:28
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Is there a way to bond

- Virgin Media 100Mb service
- BT Infinity 2 80MB service

together?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 23-Aug-12 15:41:40
Print Post

VPN bonding would do that http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php/VPN_Bon...
Or use a load balancing router like a Routerboard 450G or pfsense.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Aug-12 17:16:19
Print Post

There will be many but the latency jitter Virgin connection will likely impact the bonded connection.

We tried it here on a Virgin business connection before it was removed. Even with the connection supposedly having better QoS than a residential connection, the poor latency affected the bonded circuit. When we used it on connections with better (and more stable) latency, it performed much better.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Thu 23-Aug-12 22:42:13
Print Post

I found the routerboard 450G starts to struggle (CPU maxing at 100%) around 10Mb, so we now use a x86 machine running the RouterOS software and 4 NIC cards.

Is that a Typo and you mean 10MB or do you really mean 10Mbit/s?

I've had 40Mbit/s out of an RB750 on 2x ~23Mbit/s ADSL2+ lines using MLPPP and the 450G is a more powerful unit.

Although This was a while ago, I seem to remember the RB being rather bad at handling a line dropout (The PPP client wouldn't drop one of the sessions and instead there would be massive packetloss)

however there have been many routerOS releases since then so not sure if they've since fixed that.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 24-Aug-12 14:16:28
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Who could I go with for this? Most seem to not be able to bond different ISPs with above 80MB/sec for a single connection.

I do not have a VPN, I want to do it to the general internet.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to