General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband


Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.


Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rwinstock
(newbie) Wed 08-Aug-12 08:26:29
Print Post

FTTC Cabinet Info


[link to this post]
 
Morning All,

I've recently moved from a nice FTTC covered area to North Bedford, specifically Woodlands Park, a new build estate which appears to have no FTTC coverage (ATM). The estate *next* to us (Brickhill) seems fully equipped...and I was wondering if any kind soul here might have any info regarding plans to roll-out FTTC to the MK41 7FD postcode?

Many thanks!


Richard

Edited by rwinstock (Wed 08-Aug-12 08:36:25)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 08-Aug-12 12:47:00
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: rwinstock] [link to this post]
 
Suggest you type your post code in this checker:

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
Standard User rwinstock
(newbie) Wed 08-Aug-12 12:52:09
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]
 
Hi,

I did try that before posting, but all it says is that I am connected to the Bedford Exchange which is accepting orders....except of course it isn't for my area of Bedford frown.


Richard

Edited by rwinstock (Wed 08-Aug-12 12:56:09)


Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Wed 08-Aug-12 13:22:04
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: rwinstock] [link to this post]
 
All it states in the December 2011 spreadsheet is that 46% of lines for your post code are on cabinet P125, no mention of the other 54% and no FTTC.

There are later spreadsheets but only ISP's have access to them, if one of them sees your thread they may look it up.

Standard User rwinstock
(newbie) Wed 08-Aug-12 13:23:05
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]
 
Cheers Ronski, much appreciated. smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 24-Aug-12 20:30:55
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: rwinstock] [link to this post]
 
Did you get any more information on this? I was just about to pull the trigger and buy a house in Woodlands Park (MK41 7FL) but the 1Mbps currently available is a complete show stopper; it's not the 1990's!

I currently live in the middle of Bedford and have 10Mbps cable and if I'm honest, thats too slow.

Have you tried 3G (you can see the mast), I'm guessing its still only about 1Mbps and very expensive.

I can't believe that in 2012 people build houses which only have 1Mbps ADSL!
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Fri 24-Aug-12 21:21:25
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]
 
Only record in the December 2011 spreadsheet is P125 28% of lines for post code MK41 7FL, no FTTC scheduled then and no mention of the other 72% of lines.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 24-Aug-12 22:36:27
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]
 
Is there some way to check an individual house? I seem to remember you used to be able to call a number from the line to get an answer with absolutely certainty.
Standard User rwinstock
(newbie) Sat 01-Sep-12 23:47:25
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]
 
Evening,

I did some more work on this...writing a few emails to some high-up names in BT. I have to say I was very impressed, getting a personal answer from the Chief Executive in < 10 mins! He assigned someone from his "team" to look into why we'd been missed, and is hopefully going to get us put on back on the plan.

I'll update you if I get more details....


Richard
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 04-Sep-12 15:57:58
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: rwinstock] [link to this post]
 
Hi Richard,

I have also just moved in to woodlands park and I would be very interested to hear about any further progress regarding the installation of fibre optic cable.

My family and I totally understand the dire need for this so please let me know via this forum if there is anything I can do to help.

Pete
Standard User rwinstock
(newbie) Tue 04-Sep-12 16:26:57
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]
 
Hey Pete,

If you want to drop me your email or other contact details in a PM we can stay in touch.

Regards


Richard
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 10-Sep-12 09:46:00
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: rwinstock] [link to this post]
 
Hi Richard,

Just wondering if you have had any further Contact with BT?

Pete
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 14-Sep-12 08:17:34
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]
 
I moved to Woodlands Park 18 months ago and I've been chasing BT (and my ISP, Virgin) for months about the slow (< 2Mb) and unreliable connection.

Developer says it was not their decision to not lay cables, it was BT, BT says it's not them, it's BT OpenReach.

I finally had a reply from BT OpenReach this week which says:-

====================================================================
Unfortunately this address is not scheduled to be upgraded at present.

Openreach do have a website whereby you can check any upgrades in your area and also 'register an interest' - http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Any service issues you do need to take up with your service provider who in turn should raise them with Openreach on your behalf.
===================================================================

In a modern development such as Woodlands Park, failing to provision a fast broadband connection for the hundreds of residents is a crazy decision,
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sun 23-Sep-12 00:25:34
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]
 
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I moved to Woodlands Park 18 months ago and I've been chasing BT (and my ISP, Virgin) for months about the slow (< 2Mb) and unreliable connection.
...
In a modern development such as Woodlands Park, failing to provision a fast broadband connection for the hundreds of residents is a crazy decision,

I agree with you - but the driver of this provision would be the developer. The developer is driven by price... and if he sees his properties in less demand, or attracting lower prices, then he will start demanding that provision (and paying for it).

The ultimate answer is in *you* the consumer. If the consumers don't buy the places in the first place, the message *is* received.
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sun 23-Sep-12 01:35:57
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]
 
You would think that the Government would make a new law, requiring any new development of a decent size, to have access to Virgin Media coax or FTTC/P minimum.

Chances of our government ever doing something as sensible as this? 0

My Broadband Speed Test
60db Attenuation
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Tue 25-Sep-12 11:54:40
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: dave2150] [link to this post]
 
I'm not convinced, in the way you mean it: The law should allow the market to work, and that's it. Government will need to step in for places where the market doesn't work - so ironically would be for small rural developments, not large ones!

Openreach have a Developer's guide document that describes what developers need to do. I see that it was updated in April 2012, and now includes the requirement to install ducting for blown fibre.

It also distinguishes between "Tactical FTTP" and "Strategic FTTP" - but certainly the new parts of this document are all the fibre-based requirements.

BSI also have a document on the internal provisioning - cabling, ducting, and equipment space.

So the information is there. It just needs developers to use it, and consumers to demand it! It'd help if consumers knew that they needed to demand it, though wink
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Oct-12 16:08:02
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]
 
Does anyone know if the development in woodlands park has had any ducting placed to allow the installation of fibre optic cable?
Standard User MichaelJWP15
(newbie) Tue 23-Oct-12 11:19:13
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cabinet Info


[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]
 
In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I'm not convinced, in the way you mean it: The law should allow the market to work, and that's it. Government will need to step in for places where the market doesn't work - so ironically would be for small rural developments, not large ones!

Openreach have a Developer's guide document that describes what developers need to do. I see that it was updated in April 2012, and now includes the requirement to install ducting for blown fibre.

It also distinguishes between "Tactical FTTP" and "Strategic FTTP" - but certainly the new parts of this document are all the fibre-based requirements.

BSI also have a document on the internal provisioning - cabling, ducting, and equipment space.

So the information is there. It just needs developers to use it, and consumers to demand it! It'd help if consumers knew that they needed to demand it, though wink


The problem is the market doesn't work in this way, it's broken and needs fixing. If developers see low house sales, far bigger factors are involved such as house price movements, mortgage availability etc. Developers will go for the lowest cost solution to offer the bare minimum i.e. a telephone line for each house. Consumers assume that "internet' will be available and are far more concerned when purchasing a house about location, price, etc.

It needs government to set minimum standards for developers, just in the same way as there are minimum standards for energy performance, electrical wiring, utility provision etc. etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to