General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User simon194
(member) Tue 14-Aug-12 19:17:45
Print Post

Re: FTTC Washington (NEWAS)

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
As for the slow spots in your area, Openreach will enable the most economically viable cabinets that will give the highest amount of take up for their investment.

Which would actually be the slow spots. In my area they enabled they sub 1 Mbps areas of the town first probably because there had been years of campaigning for better speeds.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Tue 14-Aug-12 19:46:55
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

The most economically viable cabinets are those in residential areas with a high line number, as their will be a good % that will move over to FTTC services, slow spots do get removed by FTTC and their is a very high take up but many slow spot areas remain as its either a small amount of lines or long Exchange only lines.

Good campaigning to show demand does help Openreach alot in the rollout as it shows a demand for their product.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Tue 14-Aug-12 19:49:56)

Standard User Trobed
(newbie) Wed 15-Aug-12 19:45:57
Print Post

[re: Trobed] [link to this post]

The road directly in front of P56 in Harraton is all dug up by telnet and the work on P15 where they had several holes in the ground near the main road has been completed. I am guessing work is delayed a little at the moment because of all the rain.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blinky
(committed) Wed 15-Aug-12 21:19:06
Print Post

To be honest I was a bit surprised to realise that Washington wasn't already enabled.
From an economic point of view I would have thought it would have been a higher priority than the more rural Fencehouses exchange which went live in May.
Standard User siege2
(committed) Wed 15-Aug-12 22:33:46
Print Post

[re: blinky] [link to this post]

People are getting fttc from the tencehouses telephone exchange were I am connected two although I am connected directly to the exchange not a cabinet and cannot get it .

Kenneth.

SKY LLU

_____________Downstream____Upstream
Data rate...........19998 ..................... 1146
Noise margin.....8.3 ...................... 8.9
Attenuation........3.0....................... 4.0
Standard User Trobed
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 12:11:45
Print Post

[re: blinky] [link to this post]

I think the reasoning is that supposedly Virgin is already here but in actuallity it covers a tiny portion of Washington. Here there was originally Washington Cable but they went bust and Virgin came in after going through Sunderland. However they only ended up covering a tiny portion of Washington but we are still in a 'virgin covered area'

Anyone looking at this map would be able to tell you that Washington is crying out for better broadband. There is more than half of the town, about 10 thousand homes, syncing at less than 1-2 mb. I am lucky if at 3 am when very few people are on the network if I can get to 90kbs, more often than not it is in the 50s. The jump to fibre is going to be a day one purchase for a lot of people. So the one area live already is one of the only areas that was already getting 30+ from Virgin.

But these higher speeds have skewed the averages for everyone else delaying any roll out in the past.
Standard User Trobed
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 12:59:03
Print Post

[re: magpie] [link to this post]

Two Open Reach vans down besides P25 just now. Did not get to stay long enough to see what they were doing as the vans were literately just pulling in. I would keep an eye on tonight to see if anything changes. Hopefully one of the engineers was for P24 as well frown

Edit: Managed to contrive a walk past there again after finding a letter than conveniently needed posting. By the time I got there was only one van and they were just leaving. So they were there about 2 hours doing work similar to what was done on P24 two weeks ago. The old PCP was open and they were doing things to it. That is about as specific as I can be. I say they but one was actually doing the work and the other guy with him was catching some rays in the sun! tongue

Edited by Trobed (Thu 16-Aug-12 14:38:04)

Standard User Trobed
(newbie) Fri 17-Aug-12 12:37:42
Print Post

Contacted OR about another issue and they said my cab, if everything goes to plan, should be live mid to late October obviously disappointing for longer wait but things could be moved up depending on how other works go or whatever. I don't know if that indicates anything about when P25 will be live but at least we know a loose target date.
Standard User browney
(newbie) Mon 20-Aug-12 00:18:27
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

My dads on Sunderland North and his postcode is accepting orders cab P9
Standard User Drummeruk
(newbie) Sun 02-Sep-12 10:31:38
Print Post

[re: browney] [link to this post]

does anyone know if sulgrave is getting fibre abilities?

i think the cabinet is p8, but from what ive found it just says not in phase which does not give much hope frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to