General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Aug-12 18:03:14
Print Post

Re: To fibre or not to fibre - customer care is the question

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
In reply to a post by jchamier:
Businesses often aren't downloading movies at 10GB at a time smile

I have NEVER come across a *film* that came in at that size. The vast majority are 700MB and the quality is excellent, so I have been told wink.

Ha, I'm talking iTunes Store in Full HD. I'm aware some wink are about that size (for CD apparently) but they're not Full HD (1080) but those that are 720p might be around 3 GB.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab arrived 18-jun-2012 - active 16-aug-2012
Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre Pro ordered 16/Aug - estimate 45.6/6.5 mbps - install 4th Sept
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 18-Aug-12 19:48:33
Print Post

[re: PhotoFiend] [link to this post]

So, you are running a business and don't want to pay for a business service - all of an extra £5 or so per month. It is tax deductible and VAT recoverable whereas a residential service may not be - and I know of cases where those costs have not been allowed.

Just wait until a mad driver hits the pole outside your house and your line goes down. The response from a business service would mean you are back up and running in 2 days whereas a residential could to 10 to 15 weeks ... I am not joking as I have had exactly that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Aug-12 19:59:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Just wait until a mad driver hits the pole outside your house and your line goes down. The response from a business service would mean you are back up and running in 2 days whereas a residential could to 10 to 15 weeks ... I am not joking as I have had exactly that.

and in many UK towns you could have 3 different 3G WiFi routers for cheaper as insurance. on PAYG too.

I get 5Mbps download and 1Mbps upload on a £7/month 3 MiFi for example in my front room, and have seen 10Mbps/2Mbps.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab arrived 18-jun-2012 - active 16-aug-2012
Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre Pro ordered 16/Aug - estimate 45.6/6.5 mbps - install 4th Sept

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhotoFiend
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 20:45:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

You make a good point with the support offered, which would certainly be a bonus and you're right for accounting purposes stating that the line is a business only line would probably be useful.

But...

I hated having to think about download limits when I was with Zen several years ago and to transfer to fibre and have to think about it would be madness so I would be looking at the £41 a month service.

I can't see mention of line rental so I hope that's included, but that's without a phone service which I don't use that much but I do still value it.

I would be paying more for less (except the support if needed), my accountant hasn't had a problem with the way I have broken down the phone/net charges on all my returns so far...

It's a tricky one!
Standard User PhotoFiend
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 20:51:41
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, that sounds reassuring to hear. Yeah I know...little grey area really but I don't abuse the system in an way, I'm sure I make less calls for example than most families!

Interesting to hear where most of the problems come from...I guess BT is as helpless as anyone else if it's Openreach that's at fault.
Standard User PhotoFiend
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:01:21
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thank you all for your replies, I'm doing my best to address all points, struggling to make sure I cover everything and it still make sense with the way the forum is laid out.

The 250GB Plus net account probably wouldn't do for me.

It's a home computer based business so iplayer will be streaming in HD for most of the day then it could be used in the evening for large downloads or gaming, I can see that would be used rather quickly which is why I'm looking at the unlimited services, so I don't have to think about it.

Hmmmm...this is tricky!
Standard User PhotoFiend
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:12:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Whoops, just realised I hadn't replied to this one!

Hmmm, are Sky more strict than BT I wonder...

For the VOIP I have an account with Voipfone and it's only for receiving incoming calls, I assume that would just be treated as normal data.

Do you have any links to posts by MHC regarding his BT Business broadband on a domestic line? That would make an interesting read if it's a fibre connection.
Standard User PhotoFiend
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:13:25
Print Post

One thing I've just thought of...

The BT business fibre product at £41 per month for unlimited...does that include any sort of line rental or is that on top?

I can't seem to find mention of it on the relevant page either way.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:17:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by PhotoFiend:
Do you have any links to posts by MHC regarding his BT Business broadband on a domestic line? That would make an interesting read if it's a fibre connection.
I think he deals with multiple connections, in the way of earning his living. He is certainly someone whose opinion I very much respect, with a few minor disagreements as is to be expected.

He has posted in this thread, so best to ask him for more info rather than me smile.

A more long-winded way is to use the Search facility, enter MHC as the search word, and select to search by username. But there's going to be a lottttt... to plough through tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:20:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by PhotoFiend:
One thing I've just thought of...

The BT business fibre product at £41 per month for unlimited...does that include any sort of line rental or is that on top?

I can't seem to find mention of it on the relevant page either way.
You'd better give a link to where that is. I don't see any such price.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to