General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:25:23
Print Post

Re: To fibre or not to fibre - customer care is the question

[re: PhotoFiend] [link to this post]

I've got sky broadband at home

I use it for home and work. I often VPN into work and receive VoIP work related calls etc
We have a BT account purely for work. An employer provided this. A homehub arrived though! So the business provided us a home service broadband which is PURELY intended for business use.
They're a very large housing development company (not a small player).
Had it for years though without problems.

They can't stop you using it for work related things without proving its being used this way. & they never do this. It would cost a fortune to raise a good enough case to prove things.

If its being used on a business premise and not a home I think it's a bad idea to get a home service though.

If its being used in a home with an office inside the house... Get a home service. Like me smile

As a side note BT has a fair bit of throttling whereas Sky doesn't.
Standard User PhotoFiend
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:32:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just realised my prices are a little out as I didn't add VAT onto the extra £5.

http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/fibre-...

£30 + VAT - £36
£5 for unlimited + VAT - £6

=£42 a month
Standard User PhotoFiend
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:33:30
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for that detailed post, that's brilliant, just the sort of things I was hoping to hear.

You have waved a big red flag though - throttling - what's that about? What on earth would they throttle on a fibre service and when?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:45:37
Print Post

Sky no throttling

Work just got us BT infinity
Torrents throttled to 200 KB/s. It's random throttling not specific times. I think it's throttled whenever load on the networks high. Eg one day at 8pm, p2p / torrents are 7Mb/s... Same time another day 0.2Mb/s
Even enabling forced encryption doesn't solve it. It speeds up for about 2 minutes and then drops back down.

VPN into work seems throttled or at least slower than the Sky connection. Which means we end up using the non work connection more.

Anything else seems fine.

As I say I've been using a connection at home for about ten years with a home and work mix. Other people in my house also do work related things on here too. Never once a problem. I'm sure that plenty of people are the same!

My other half does work stuff on here & somebody else does web design too.

As I say BT must get this all the time. Our work put a home service here for business use via BT. They did this for around 500 people and as yet nobodies had any issues. I expected a BT business hub to arrive and was shocked when I got a homehub

I can honestly say we use the sky connection 99% of the time as all our machines default connect to it. Never had a problem.

Never had a problem with BT either

By never had a problem I mean they've never moaned about it being used for work. I've had a few line issues though. Nobodies fault though

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 18-Aug-12 21:47:16)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:49:03
Print Post

At the bottom of that page: "BT Infinity for Business - things you need to know". Click it.

Looks like the phone line is extra. Also it says it can slow down.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User VictorMeldrew
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:58:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by PhotoFiend:
One thing I've just thought of...

The BT business fibre product at £41 per month for unlimited...does that include any sort of line rental or is that on top?

I can't seem to find mention of it on the relevant page either way.
You'd better give a link to where that is. I don't see any such price.

I'm currently with talktalk, and pretty happy with my deal

i pay advance line rental, after that, I pay £1.75 a month for unlimited BroadBand, and when BT get my cab sorted out it will be a £10 bolt-on for fibre, gross £11.75 per month.

beat that smile

edit this is fixed for 12 month contract, when it runs out will make a new deal for same

Edited by VictorMeldrew (Sat 18-Aug-12 22:00:24)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Aug-12 22:01:34
Print Post

BT Business broadband FTTC flavour.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Aug-12 22:07:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Dozing off Zarjaz? That's the link he gave me a bit ago.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sun 19-Aug-12 09:17:03
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
In reply to a post by jchamier:
Businesses often aren't downloading movies at 10GB at a time smile

I have NEVER come across a *film* that came in at that size. The vast majority are 700MB and the quality is excellent, so I have been told wink.

DrT

People watching 700mb movies are like those who are still watching VHS. 700mb cannot carry a 'proper' HD 720 or 1080P bitrate.

Maybe some are too old/stupid to notice the difference in quality of a 700mb dvd rip and a 10gb 1080 Blueray rip.

Through my eyes, the difference is like night and day.

Avoid Plusnet, 250gb limit is terrible for this day and age, go with sky, they are completely unlimited.

============
Sky ADSL
============
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 19-Aug-12 09:32:49
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dave2150:
Avoid Plusnet, 250gb limit is terrible for this day and age, go with sky, they are completely unlimited.
?
My typical usage is under 7GB per month. However, rather than download films I frequently go to classical music concerts, opera, theatre and ballet.

My television viewing averages under 3 hours a week I expect. My Radio 3 and Radio 4 listening is several hours per day. We do not have Sky TV nor feel the need for it, except for my annoyance about the current availability of F1 coverage on "free to view". (Solved with IPTV well within my allowance).

I'd be fairly sure the majority of internet users without kids at home need 10GB or less.

Also note the question the OP is asking and what he says about his usage needs.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 19-Aug-12 09:33:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to