General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Sat 18-Aug-12 17:40:29
Print Post

Basingstoke FTTC - Part 2: The Unlucky Few

[link to this post]

It would seem most of Basingstoke is now pretty well served with Fibre-Optic broadband.

But there are some stragglers left. Even more frustrating for some of these is that two PCPs in Basingstoke have been upgraded to receive Fibre-Optic but have yet to be enabled (PCP 66 in Chineham and PCP 79 in Hatch Warren). PCP 66 was upgraded around a year ago I believe and PCP 79 in April.

If anyone has any news on any of the stragglers, please post a reply.

Edited by curtmantle (Sat 18-Aug-12 17:45:05)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 09-Sep-12 07:39:29
Print Post

Re: Basingstoke FTTC - Part 2: The Unlucky Few

[re: curtmantle] [link to this post]

still no news on pcp 79 spoke to sky yesterday and they cant see it as enabled yet,oh well 30/9/12 hurry up
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Mon 10-Sep-12 18:49:12
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
still no news on pcp 79 spoke to sky yesterday and they cant see it as enabled yet,oh well 30/9/12 hurry up

What happens on 30/09/2012?

Is that the rumoured cabinet date checker on the OpenReach website? Someone I know mentioned it but didn't know if it was anything more than a rumour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 10-Sep-12 20:41:40
Print Post

thats the alleged date it is up and running, not counting my chickens tho
Standard User Hyde_TDS
(newbie) Fri 21-Sep-12 11:12:42
Print Post

I have now emailed Maria Miller MP asking if she can assist the residents on PCP 79 in her capacities of local MP and also Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport that oversees fibre broadband.

Her local office have committed to writing to BT for an explanation on the delay.

Currently there are no works scheduled for this cabinet on Elgin and whilst rumours of the end of September were circulating I have little confidence that that date will now be met.
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Sat 22-Sep-12 16:02:24
Print Post

[re: Hyde_TDS] [link to this post]

Good work Hyde... hopefully something will come from it, even if it's just information.

The worst part about the whole thing is the utter lack of communication from BT OpenReach. We're just left in the dark and apparently there's no-one we can ask.

It's very frustrating. We've been putting up with poor broadband for years and to be dangled the carrot of fibre-optic two years ago, we're still waiting!!
Standard User Sywatson
(newbie) Sat 29-Sep-12 23:49:33
Print Post

I live on the pinnacle development near chineham lane. cab88 is a broadband only cabinet so god only knows when this will get upgraded, seems that everyone else around us is getting upgraded. I did a test today on my existing broadband and it is currently 1.1mb. Terrible speed. My folks live in a rural area of Surrey and get 8mb!!! Anyone know if pinnacle and Merton rise will ever see fttc?

Edited by Sywatson (Sat 29-Sep-12 23:50:27)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 01-Oct-12 02:09:35
Print Post

[re: Sywatson] [link to this post]

Hi if you look at this post and send a email to the address, you can get a update on your cabinet- if its viable etc

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4148121-re-...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Mon 01-Oct-12 14:30:32
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Thanks. I have sent an email and will hopefully get a reply soon.
Standard User goosey
(newbie) Wed 03-Oct-12 23:28:21
Print Post

Anybody had any news on pcp79 in Hatch Warren.
Havent seen any BT vans for a few months now.
My broadband speed is abysmal 0.7 download, 0.5 upload
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 19:06:37
Print Post

[re: goosey] [link to this post]

As mentioned above, I have sent an email to OpenReach about PCP79. Have heard back that they are dealing with a lot of requests at the moment, but hopefully will hear something soon.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 05-Oct-12 21:03:11
Print Post

same response i got
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 05-Oct-12 21:34:38
Print Post

[re: Sywatson] [link to this post]

Cabb 88 not in BT commeroial deployement - community representative given quote for Private funding funding 5 month ago
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Thu 11-Oct-12 11:35:52
Print Post

I have got a response to my email about PCP79. The news isn't great unfortunately:

I can advise that the upgrade to your cabinet, pcp79, is still in progress, there was a delay due to there being high cost involved, however it is still in the programme to be deployed. At present we are waiting SSE who supply the power to come back to us, once we have received the information from them then we will be able to move forward with deploying cab 79.

I am afraid I cannot provide a date for this...

Make of that what you will, but I am personally not expecting it any time soon. Although at least it's still on the cards.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 14-Oct-12 12:36:50
Print Post

Still no luck In Chineham PCP66, I have e-mail openreach numerous times yet get no reply! May be if the MP gets invloved it will sort out all the issues.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 14-Oct-12 15:10:53
Print Post

66 is stood awaiting power connection - this is due to be compelted i think beofre end of 2012

fastman
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Oct-12 16:11:25
Print Post

Does anyone know of any updates to P84 (Beggarwood)..? Or is its still part of the BDUK funding?
Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 18:39:09
Print Post

it now states that pcp 79 will be live by 31 st december ,
Standard User coddgiles
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 14:08:24
Print Post

[re: moosedog] [link to this post]

Spoke to Openreach they now state that they hope power will be provided to PCP 79 in February, but they can't guarentee.
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Thu 20-Dec-12 09:19:27
Print Post

[re: coddgiles] [link to this post]

February eh? Did they say which year?
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-13 00:28:13
Print Post

Those who live around PCP 79 may have noticed big trenches being dug around the cabinet and along Danebury Road. Surely this is the power being installed?

Does this mean we could have fibre optic before the end of February after all? Won't count my chickens but fingers crossed.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sun 13-Jan-13 04:40:26
Print Post

Roadworks.org confirms the work as power being isntalled from 8th-21st of January, would keep an eye on roadworks to see if further work does appear- ie fibre/copper connection still to install as this can be a few more weeks.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-13 09:10:21
Print Post

Wouldn't the fibre/copper have been done when they installed the second cabinet? frown

Oh well at least it's progress.

Edited by curtmantle (Sun 13-Jan-13 09:13:22)

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sun 13-Jan-13 20:11:55
Print Post

Its hard to know unless you are watching the cab or have asked the isntalling engineers.
The copper connection will be a trench between the two cabinets, while fibre can be installed to the cabinet but not connected to the main spine.
Hence why i suggested keeping an eye on roadworks.org to see if their is further work- if not then the cabinet should go into testing and then accepting orders.

You could email Openreach and they would give a estimated date for the cabinet to go live, will take 7-10 days and add your phone number/address as they will ask for this.

[email protected]

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User coddgiles
(newbie) Mon 14-Jan-13 10:19:42
Print Post

Looks promising and ties in with the end of February date, Openreach gave me before Christmas. Hopefully the fibre was already installed as part of the new cabinet. As the main reason for the delay was awaiting SSE to provide the power
Standard User curtmantle
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 11:08:40
Print Post

I have heard from a support manager at one of the ISPs that the activation date for PCP79 is looking like June/July time.

If true, more waiting required.
Standard User curtmantle
(learned) Thu 07-Feb-13 22:33:58
Print Post

A check on the BT Infinity site now gives a date of 30th June for PCP79
Standard User Fastman2
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-13 23:00:37
Print Post

actually it was february 2012
Standard User curtmantle
(learned) Tue 12-Feb-13 19:22:12
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

I don't know what you're talking about. PCP79 will not be active for fibre-optic broadband until at least June 30th 2013.
Standard User curtmantle
(learned) Mon 04-Mar-13 18:32:27
Print Post

PCP 79 IS NOW TAKING ORDERS for fibre-optic broadband.

I have just ordered mine from Plus Net and the estimated download speed is 22mbps
Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:25:09
Print Post

wow does it give you an install date
Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:46:20
Print Post

just ordered mine off sky install 21st march i hope
Standard User curtmantle
(learned) Thu 07-Mar-13 00:15:39
Print Post

They're coming out to install 15th March. The earliest date I could have had was 13th iirc.

Please don't let anything go wrong... So close now.
Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Thu 07-Mar-13 18:21:24
Print Post

hope everything goes fine im going to be gutted if it gets delayed

Edited by moosedog (Thu 07-Mar-13 19:46:45)

Standard User coddgiles
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-13 09:34:10
Print Post

I spoke to Sky over the weekend about upgrading my broadband with them and was told that the most I could get would be 3mb and although the new cabinet may have been setup sky haven't installed their equipment in it yet and couldn't give me a date when.
So for that reason I've gone with BT who say I could potentially get 35mb broadband and they are coming out to my home on the 27th to install.

Annoyingly it looks like the person I spoke to at Sky has given me some duff information, as they would have been my preference. Hope it goes well for you moosedog.
Standard User curtmantle
(learned) Wed 13-Mar-13 10:34:53
Print Post

It is possible Sky have to do something to allow their customers connected to the cab to access fibre optic broadband. I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me.

The two providers we know are accepting orders are PlusNet and BT and I understand that PlusNet are owned by BT anyway.

It amazes me that BT (and PlusNet) don't post flyers telling people in the area that they can get fibre-optic. They'd surely get a lot of people defecting to them - especially in our area!
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 13-Mar-13 14:03:28
Print Post

Sky and TT have to pay for a GEA link in the exchange to their equipment as they use their own backhual before they can sell FTTC, BT retial and Plus Net use BT wholesale backhual along with other isps like EE so they are able to take orders sooner.

It all comes down to how quickly the order is placed for the link, Sky and TT have been a few weeks behind when a exchange and cabinets go live.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-13 20:49:17
Print Post

im told by sky an openreach engineer will come and fit a new box to the master socket once thats done just plug in my new sky router which came today and hey presto .sounds a tad too easy
Standard User curtmantle
(learned) Fri 15-Mar-13 14:39:31
Print Post

Well, the install went smoothly, although the engineer was late!

I have a download speed of 33mbps at the moment. I'm not expecting it to stay at that speed but fingers crossed (our estimated speed was 22mbps).
Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 18:39:37
Print Post

wow up and running thrs hope for the rest of us
Standard User curtmantle
(learned) Sat 16-Mar-13 12:08:27
Print Post

You'll be fine I'm sure. At least I am proof that it IS up and running (I wasn't prepared to 100% believe it until it was installed!)

Good luck and enjoy! smile
Standard User psyclick
(newbie) Tue 19-Mar-13 19:48:54
Print Post

Mine was suppose to be installed on the 22nd, but BT have delayed it until the 4th April.

It's only a couple of weeks, but I'd really started to get excited, frown

Here's hoping it's not delayed again . . .
Standard User moosedog
(newbie) Thu 21-Mar-13 20:41:13
Print Post

All up and running getting 39.80mb d/l and 9.98 u/l so sky as good as thr word had to wait a long time for engineer to come ,but he done it all in an hour .

finally got decent speeds
Standard User coddgiles
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 15:09:00
Print Post

Brilliant, Just had mine installed today by BT and getting the same download and upload speeds as you Moosedog smile
What a difference!!
Standard User olicuk
(newbie) Fri 05-Apr-13 00:34:43
Print Post

So now that many of the most complained about cabs (66, 77, 101) etc have been made or are very nearly live, which cabinets have still not been upgraded? I'm waiting for PCP102 (~400m away) despite living <40m from one FTTC enabled cabinet and ~100m from another... arrgh!
Standard User Californiagrant
(newbie) Thu 14-Nov-13 20:29:09
Print Post

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

Hello. I've just joined after learning we will be on cabinet 102 for our new house in the Popley Way Taylor Wimpey site (Everest). Have there been any updates? I've checked BT's resources and I'm starting to wonder if setting up 101 was it and they have left 102 to a much much later date. I'm looking for signs of hope because 3MB sounds like living without oxygen after enjoying over 35MB in Eastleigh. Even of thinking of going to satellite if it means a year of not waiting. Looking for any type of time frame if there is one.
best wishes,
G
Standard User olicuk
(newbie) Fri 15-Nov-13 14:14:11
Print Post

[re: Californiagrant] [link to this post]

Hi, no concrete dates, but both B+D Council and Openreach have said the cabinet will be upgraded under the commercial rollout, and there's not long to go until that's complete... also with a number of local cabinets covered by BDUK funding being upgraded before March 14, you'd think they'd do ours at the same time. I'll try Andy Dowling again to see if he has any new info. The last Openreach told me directly was that the cabinet was in "Phase 13A" and that was Q4 13/14 which I'd take to mean about now... but it could mean lots of things!

I just succumbed to Sky Broadband and after the first 10 days it's settled at 4Mbps down, 768k up, which isn't the 60Mbps I had from Virgin where I lived previously, but is more stable than the 3 mobile broadband I'd been using trying to avoid a slow fixed line. I use the connection to back up a web server several nights a week, which downloads 4-5Gb a time, and that seems to be working pretty much at the full 4Mbps.

Good luck and enjoy the new house!
Standard User olicuk
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-13 08:24:49
Print Post

Hi again, just to say Andy replied to say there's no particular news, it still appears to be planned to happen and he's not heard it won't be the originally planned FTTP, but Openreach aren't providing any dates. He thinks it's possibly down to waiting until TW have finished building the site, which it looks like they nearly have now. I can sort of see why if they are actually going to install FTTP, though if it were FTTC I don't see what difference it makes. With the completion of building and the end of the commercial rollout both being not far away, I'm hopeful it won't be too long now.
Standard User Anonymous_Mook
(newbie) Fri 07-Feb-14 14:56:41
Print Post

I've been chasing up cabinet 102 via the nga_enquiries email address occasionally since I moved into Everest Park last January. In March 2013, I was told March 2014. I've just had the following message

Dear {Anonymous_Mook},

Thank you for your enquiry about Basingstoke exchange cabinet 102.

This exchange is currently accepting orders but the coverage deployed to date did not enable your cabinet area.

Basingstoke cabinet 102 is currently on hold.

Openreach must make best use of the funds committed by BT Group and as such it is not possible to provide coverage to 100% of an exchange area which is why we select cabinets that provide the best coverage at the time the deployment takes place. As a business we do intend to revisit selected exchanges around the UK with the view of trying to close some of the gaps left during the first tranche of deployment.

I cannot provide firm assurances now on timescales but I can advise that this cabinet will be reassessed later in the year.

For further questions, please go to the FAQ section on our website,http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/faq/

Regards

NGA Enquiries

Considering the announcement of funds from BDUK to put fiber into less profitable areas than Popley (cabinets further from power and with less phone lines), my guess is that BT are holding off spending any of their own money in favour of getting the government to pay for it frown

Edited by Anonymous_Mook (Fri 07-Feb-14 15:15:36)

Standard User olicuk
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 12:17:12
Print Post

[re: Anonymous_Mook] [link to this post]

I've now set up a site to gauge the real interest from those connected to PCP102, assuming enough sign up we can then apply some pressure on Openreach and others. If you live in Everest Park or one of the roads supplied by this cabinet please pass your support... http://fibre.everestpark.org.uk
Standard User scottlej1
(newbie) Sat 19-Jul-14 15:16:03
Print Post

Hi,

Is there any news on this yet as looks like openreach have now gotten rid of the nga.enquiries email address. Only live about 150m away from the cab (Edmund Court) and currently only get 3-4mb broadband so very frustrating.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to