General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OpTicWally
(newbie) Wed 12-Sep-12 19:38:03
Print Post

Re: FTTC in Carlisle begins its roll-out (Part 2)

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

He said they're looking into getting faster speeds with better packages, so fingers crossed!
Standard User OpTicWally
(newbie) Wed 12-Sep-12 19:39:19
Print Post

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

I think you'd be better going with BT, the speeds would be way better I'd imagine, and it's what bt do best wink
Standard User omnius
(regular) Sat 15-Sep-12 00:12:52
Print Post

[re: OpTicWally] [link to this post]

Its starting to look that way, well im not makeing the decision till oct 15th then i will be placeing a order with someone, most likely either plusnet or BT.

You useing the homehub optic or your own router? i just ask as im wondering just how good/bad the homehub is.......

Oh and sky have a new router/hub called the sr101

Link:- http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcement...

---------------------------

I live for the one, I die for the one.
Yep i really am THAT thick!

Smallworld Cable ..... 5Meg then upped to 20Meg
O2 ADSL2+ .... 13.6Meg (ish)
Sky ADSL2+ .... 3.5Meg
Sky FTTC .... Should be getting the full 40/10 to start, upgrading to pro if i need it (EST speeds 72.1/20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User OpTicWally
(newbie) Sat 15-Sep-12 02:32:31
Print Post

The home hub for now! Everything's fine apart from the download speed on Xbox, which is under 500kbps compared to the 7.8mbps download I get on my pc, both of them wired, had me confused. May be fixed by a simple router reset but I want to wait until the 10 day line stability thing is up before I reset it!

My speed is still solid at 76/16. Very impressed compared to my old 6/0.9! Makes life much easier to upload videos.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 17-Sep-12 10:03:58
Print Post

That new Sky SR101 confuses me somewhat, it's a router for Fibre which will eventually scale beyond 100Mb that only has 100Mbps Lan ports, seems like a missed opportunity there, if they'd given it Gigabit ports it would have been alot more future proof and would have removed the need for people to have their own Gigabit switches. From what I've read also the wireless is limited to 150Mbps, with overheads that means your unlikely to be able to max out at 80/20 line, also given new devices (phones included) are being released as dual band (2.4/5Ghz) this seems like another missed opportunity.

I can only assume it's to save costs, but when they won't allow customers to use their own router I don't see supplying outdated hardware (as they've always done) as good customer service.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Sep-12 18:15:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I can only assume it's to save costs, but when they won't allow customers to use their own router I don't see supplying outdated hardware (as they've always done) as good customer service.

Not much different to the BT HomeHub 3 then?? I take your point that Sky won't let you change your router - so if they do offer service over 80Mbps Sky would have a problem. Since Sky don't offer any FTTP products yet, its not yet an issue.

James - be* pro - 16.8 / 1.2 Mbps until 16th Sept - then BT Infinity from 19th Sept - 44.6 / 6.5 Mbps estimated
BQM 13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)
Standard User omnius
(regular) Mon 17-Sep-12 21:33:20
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

They prob never will, lets be honest only a very select few will get FttC and at the moment even fewer will be able to afford Fibre on Demand.

I think given time they will drop the router issue as to my knowlage they are the only isp who demands you use there stuff only and that has already been bypassed by both a very skilled hacker and another router maker, all things considered sky might want to get there next router off them since the r&d cost will be nill as its already been done.

The sr101 is both fibre and adsl, its been reported the bottom lan port can detect the connection to the bto modem and reconfigures to a wan port

Sky ADSL2+ .... 3.5Meg
Sky FTTC .... Should be getting the full 40/10 to start, upgrading to pro if i need it (EST speeds 72.1/20)

Edited by omnius (Mon 17-Sep-12 21:38:05)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Sep-12 21:53:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by omnius:
I think given time they will drop the router issue as to my knowlage they are the only isp who demands you use there stuff only and that has already been bypassed by both a very skilled hacker and another router maker, all things considered sky might want to get there next router off them since the r&d cost will be nill as its already been done.

The "skilled hacker" worked out the userid/password is calculated from the wireless SSID and passcode, that's clever maths.

The other router maker just followed the info on the web - and that was worked out by using packet sniffing software between the BTO modem, and the Sky router. Turns out Sky use standard DHCP and one of the options is unknown in the home market. (Option 61). Reminds me of the US cable firms that required your PC had a specific host name, so when the first routers arrived, they let you enter this detail or you didn't get an IP.

James - be* pro - 16.8 / 1.2 Mbps until 16th Sept - then BT Infinity from 19th Sept - 44.6 / 6.5 Mbps estimated
BQM 13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Tue 18-Sep-12 01:45:43
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by omnius:

The "skilled hacker" worked out the userid/password is calculated from the wireless SSID and passcode, that's clever maths.

The other router maker just followed the info on the web - and that was worked out by using packet sniffing software between the BTO modem, and the Sky router. Turns out Sky use standard DHCP and one of the options is unknown in the home market. (Option 61). Reminds me of the US cable firms that required your PC had a specific host name, so when the first routers arrived, they let you enter this detail or you didn't get an IP.

Who are you to determine that cracking a mathematical code, related to router authentication user/password, is not skillful hacking?

FYI there can be quite alot of maths involved in hacking.

My Broadband Speed Test
60db Attenuation
Standard User omnius
(regular) Sat 22-Sep-12 15:35:58
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
That new Sky SR101 confuses me somewhat, it's a router for Fibre which will eventually scale beyond 100Mb that only has 100Mbps Lan ports, seems like a missed opportunity there, if they'd given it Gigabit ports it would have been alot more future proof and would have removed the need for people to have their own Gigabit switches.

Just a thought but is it possible they ARE gig ports but have been firmware locked to 100meg?

Sky ADSL2+ .... 3.5Meg
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to