General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 23:41:06
Print Post

Re: Cumbria Superfast Broadband

[re: indigobanana] [link to this post]

A whole exchange with only 650 connections! Perhaps it isn't surprising that you can't find too many cabinets around.

I've always worked on the basis that a reasonably-full cabinet, and a good prospect for conversion to FTTC, was around 400 lines.
Standard User indigobanana
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 00:09:22
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

It'll be interesting to see what BT decide to do, I'd say that the majority of exchanges in Cumbria have below 1000 connections, some with as few as 200, or less! There are so many villages, spread out all over the place. I noticed my exchange (wooden hut, quite literally) had a round white antenna, pointing towards a fell near Kendal, I always found that interesting, I guess BT must be using a microwave backhaul to the exchange. There is literally no fibre whatsoever around here!!

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCORT

Edited by indigobanana (Sun 30-Sep-12 00:34:51)

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 01:39:21
Print Post

Was just looking at the population density for counties.

Interesting to see that Cumbria is the same as where I've just moved to - North Yorkshire - at 74 people per sq.km. Only lower place is Northumbria. I guess it is easy to see why they're pilot projects on BDUK.

What I didn't realise is that Cornwall is twice as dense (why did it get so much EU funding?) and that Surrey is 10 times as dense. Wow.

I noticed my exchange (wooden hut, quite literally) had a round white antenna, pointing towards a fell near Kendal, I always found that interesting, I guess BT must be using a microwave backhaul to the exchange.

Most small exchanges are really only concentrators, with traffic directed back to a main exchange.

I know BT are trialling a fibre-only exchange in Oxfordshire (Deddington), which has 1200 lines. It'll be interesting to see whether this leads on to a strategy for the small exchanges.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 14:18:46
Print Post

I found an article yesterday

The councilís Connecting Cumbria project aims to supply speeds of 30Mbps to 90 per cent of homes and businesses.

BT will begin the roll out early next year with the mammoth project due for completion in 2014. In-cumbria reports that it is being funded by £40 million of Government and European money plus a further £30 million investment from BT.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/broadband/3401206/co...

Amazingly, this is the first time I have heard of the plan to bring 30Mbps to 90% of homes. I'm amazed to know how they are going to achieve this, considering that Superfast Cornwall has approximately double the population density of Cumbria and received much more funding. I'm guessing this is a much more challenging area to deploy superfast broadband!

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 15:15:43
Print Post

I assume this is the cabinet that you found- number 1

http://goo.gl/maps/fhU5m

Its doubtful that their will be more cabinets in Tebay- what Openreach can do is move the cabinet to the centre of the village which would benefit the whole area connected to that cabinet if it has FTTC deployed.

So its possible to get 30Mbps for about 90%, though we are going to have to wait and see what options are used.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User kitcat
(member) Sun 30-Sep-12 16:51:08
Print Post

Looking at the map and geography, there are only two ways of getting much more than about 8Mb.
1. Providing an FTTP splitter to cater for about 30 customers out of about 40 properties.

2. Providing a mini FTTC cab.

I think the first is more cost effective as the splitter is unpowered and appears to be able to be fitted to a pole top, (Been done in Cornwall).

The cab seems to have too many additional costs.

It will be interesting to see what is finally offered, but I expect this to be late in the rollout, say early 2015, as all the rest of the infrastructure it will piggyback on will come first. ( Run back to a Headend in Kendal or Penrith I expect.)
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 17:07:00
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
I assume this is the cabinet that you found- number 1

http://goo.gl/maps/fhU5m

Its doubtful that their will be more cabinets in Tebay- what Openreach can do is move the cabinet to the centre of the village which would benefit the whole area connected to that cabinet if it has FTTC deployed.

So its possible to get 30Mbps for about 90%, though we are going to have to wait and see what options are used.

Yep, that's the cab.

In reply to a post by kitcat:
Looking at the map and geography, there are only two ways of getting much more than about 8Mb.
1. Providing an FTTP splitter to cater for about 30 customers out of about 40 properties.

2. Providing a mini FTTC cab.

I think the first is more cost effective as the splitter is unpowered and appears to be able to be fitted to a pole top, (Been done in Cornwall).

The cab seems to have too many additional costs.

It will be interesting to see what is finally offered, but I expect this to be late in the rollout, say early 2015, as all the rest of the infrastructure it will piggyback on will come first. ( Run back to a Headend in Kendal or Penrith I expect.)

This sounds promising... we'll have to wait and see to see how the rollout develops. I guess there is also the 3rd option of "Alternative Technologies" if they deem Fibre to be too expensive to rollout here, but I'm hoping that is not the case.

Edited by indigobanana (Sun 30-Sep-12 17:08:22)

(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 17:12:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
A whole exchange with only 650 connections! Perhaps it isn't surprising that you can't find too many cabinets around.

I've always worked on the basis that a reasonably-full cabinet, and a good prospect for conversion to FTTC, was around 400 lines.

You haven't seen the Buttermere Exchange yet...

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCBUT

25 connections (including businesses) for 1 exchange!!

Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Sep-12 17:42:16
Print Post

There are some fibre services out of Orton, they go to Tebay services...
IIRC the microwave relay from Orton hits then fells to a relay that passes the data to the Shap exchange, to get to Kendal you would need to pass it 'over' the fells.
(Has no affect on dialing codes)

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Sep-12 17:43:45
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In Cornwall it is the manifold (12 lines at the top of each FTTP pole in areas e.g. Falmouth)

The splitter (32 way) is on the pole at a more human height.

Numbers around 10,000 homes passed with FTTP, and 1000 have signed up. Given the lack of PR from providers generally that is pretty impressive

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to