General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User indigobanana
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 18:30:26
Print Post

Re: Cumbria Superfast Broadband

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

I'm sure the antenna is pointing towards Whinfell... I went biking up there a few years ago and saw 2 large BT Antennas, Kendal was in the LOS.

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/62857064 - The picture is not the best quality, but perhaps the signal is sent to the antenna in the background?

http://goo.gl/EeP7Z - Exchange on Street View, notice the brown antenna (apologies, I thought it was white from memory)

Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Sep-12 19:00:13
Print Post

[re: indigobanana] [link to this post]

Sorry last post was not clear, Orton <-> Whinfell <-> Shap <-> Fixed network to Penrith then on to the BT Core.

Paul
Standard User kitcat
(member) Sun 30-Sep-12 20:19:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the technical update. I had just heard "on poles"

Good to know 1 in ten take FTTP in Cornwall, that's slightly higher than FTTC nationally from the last Openreach news release, but to be expected as many have no option of Cable so poor BB speeds before.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(member) Sun 30-Sep-12 20:33:02
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

The microwave / radio will only provide 34Mb if they are going to give FTTC speeds they will need 100s Mb even just for 600 odd customers.

They will need to provide fibre to get the capacity.

I assume that they will extend the fibre from the motorway services up to and beyond Orton.

It will be a big planning job to get fibre the cheapest way to every exchange effectively.

It will be even bigger to do the same when they do Wales, I hope they have lots of learning from Cornwall to implement.
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 20:41:59
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

.. is this why my throughput speed gets so low in the evening? (And even slower than normal during the day?) I always blamed TalkTalk. Most of the population of Orton can achieve in the region of 8 Mbps sync as they are closer to the exchange, and about half of Tebay can achieve about 4-6 Mbps or something and the rest above 3 Mbps apart from the far end of the village where I am, about 1-2 Mbps or so (due to poor internal setup configurations, ring wires etc). So if a lot of people are online, even though it is a small exchange and not many are connected, there is simply not enough backhaul capacity? 34Mb doesn't seem like much at all.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 23:57:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by indigobanana:
This sounds promising... we'll have to wait and see to see how the rollout develops. I guess there is also the 3rd option of "Alternative Technologies" if they deem Fibre to be too expensive to rollout here, but I'm hoping that is not the case.

Are you fed by poles, or underground? From the cabinet, or direct from the exchange?

I'd have thought rural fibre is a tad more likely when on existing poles.

The post on provision in North Yorkshire is probably interesting to you. especially the commitment (there) to do 100% of EO lines with some form of fibre, and the statement that satellite is very much last resort.

I take the latter to imply that it is a solution for isolated homes & farms, not for whole villages.
(newbie) Mon 01-Oct-12 14:40:18
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Fed from shared pole, as far as I know from the Cab in Old Tebay nearly 2km away. (Number 1) There are approx 60 terraced houses at this part of the village, the old railway terraces, so lots of copper wire around. There is actually a gap between here and the main part of the village.

That statement looks very interesting, although I doubt I am on an EO line. However, I have been doing some research using Google Street View and plotting some cabinets on a Google Map. The lack of cabinets in many areas (as far as can tell) is very interesting, it seems there are many EO lines here in rural Cumbria. And if BT have "commited" to upgrade these lines to fibre, that would be an absolutely massive undertaking.

(learned) Tue 11-Jun-13 18:06:18
Print Post

Re: Cumbria Superfast Broadband *DELETED*

Post deleted by indigobanana

Edited by indigobanana (Tue 11-Jun-13 18:07:43)

(learned) Tue 11-Jun-13 18:13:25
Print Post

So... we're into June and there has been endless delays.... however I heard that they finally got EU major project approval last month. But STILL no kind of rollout plan has been released. Not even any indication of which exchanges are under evaluation! And I'm sure I read that they had begun planning early this year. (Not forgetting that the contract was awarded to BT in December last year!). Maybe I couldn't find a document somewhere?? And not even mentioning the Connecting Cumbria website (which I'm sure they said they would relaunch by the end of last month). The lastest monthly newsletter was released in February.... I just wish they would release some kind of information, like most other projects around the UK! Why keep everyone in the dark like this?

My Broadband Speed Test

Now with PlusNet!

20CN ADSL Max frown
I live in hope...
Standard User zom22
(learned) Tue 11-Jun-13 18:54:53
Print Post

If they do announce something and put a date on it happening they create a "hostage to fortune" situation.

When they fail to meet the date because of all sorts of multi-agency problems/issues whatever, many of which will be totally outside their control everyone goes batsheet crazy and accuses them of being a load of incompetant idiots.
Posters on this forum are equally to blame, you see them screaming online "my cabinet has been put back again - it's outrageous".

So If I was BT/local councils I'd say nothing whatsoever of any form at all and simply say it will be done when it is done.

Yours additionally had to have special EU approval as the project is so large - so go and blame the EU regulations for that. Actually you can blame the EU totally for making the UK go through the BDUK tender process rather than simply getting on with it and pay BT to do it up front with government money.

Additionally local councils tend to have more important things to worry about than broadband............it really is genuinely not at the top of their priority list. My own council supposedly have not even signed yet - its is still being discussed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to