General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 02-Oct-12 20:56:57
Print Post

Re: 1st on cab

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by izools:
I see 20Megabytes / sec (yes, megabytes - about 160 megabits / sec) throughput from my gigabit wired server to my Wireless-N laptop running over 5GHz.

Nice!

I can get my full 46 megabit/sec using my Draytek 2820 which is only 2.4GHz - when my neighbours all go to bed and stop using theirs.

I'm tempted to get one of these to add on to the Draytek and set it to 5 GHz only:
http://www.apple.com/uk/airportexpress/

I have too much 2.4 GHz only kit, but my personal and office laptops are all dual band capable.

This is the great thing about routers like the DGND3700, simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless-N networks in one router.

Although, Netgear have released what they have branded "Gigabit Wireless" routers and adaptors now; wonder how they perform in the real world?

(sensei) Tue 02-Oct-12 21:16:44
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

Gigglingly fast?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Oct-12 21:23:51
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by izools:
This is the great thing about routers like the DGND3700, simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless-N networks in one router.
Agreed I bought my parents an Apple Airport Extreme in the spring, but don't have the money to get myself one (they had a [censored] router, so it replaced the router entirely).

I need the feature set of the Draytek, so can't justify replacing it, thus the "add on" idea.

Although, Netgear have released what they have branded "Gigabit Wireless" routers and adaptors now; wonder how they perform in the real world?

Intriguing.

The R6300 looks interesting, but I don't need a router, just an AP:
http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessroute...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ixel
(member) Tue 02-Oct-12 21:33:23
Print Post

[re: stephen79] [link to this post]

I had similar results to you when I was first activated, and first on the cabinet, however a few months later as others were activated on that cabinet my attainable rate and consequently sync speed dropped, with the addition of interleaving frown.

My current speeds (a few months later that is) are hovering around 67/19, attainable 84/23.
Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 02-Oct-12 21:45:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Gigglingly fast?

Giggity.

(member) Wed 03-Oct-12 00:48:35
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
I had similar results to you when I was first activated, and first on the cabinet, however a few months later as others were activated on that cabinet my attainable rate and consequently sync speed dropped, with the addition of interleaving frown.

My current speeds (a few months later that is) are hovering around 67/19, attainable 84/23.

I was first on my cabinet, started at 40/2 then upgraded to up 80 meg and got 74/20 now 3 months on it's down at 67/20. The attainable had dropped from 84/38 to 78/28
Standard User smouty
(learned) Wed 03-Oct-12 09:08:38
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

I see only a very slight decrease in speed over wifi on the HH3 of 74\16 when wired is 76\16.
HH3 is set to regular b/g/n mode not 40mhz with a Centrino 2 laptop connecting at 130mbit which I think is around the max the HH3 supports. This is a HH3b.

Most peoples speed issues appear to be caused by not using WPA2 with AES for N mode wifi.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to