General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Oct-12 22:58:32
Print Post

Re: Can get FTTP but not FTTC?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

FTTP is actually available in all the speed variants that FTTC is and additional ones.
So it seems that only BT Retail have figured this out and thus are happy to supply a service.

So for example 40/10 on FTTP is the same price as on FTTC, but the big advantage you know you will connect at 40/10 and not have any DLM training etc

The handover at the telephone exchange is identical for FTTC and FTTP, and even the same routers should work, as the presentation via the openreach hardware in the home is identical. So if Sky and TalkTalk are not selling it, then its because they've not got their heads around FTTP or believe it is of such limited availability that it is not work selling

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MoneyBagger
(newbie) Wed 03-Oct-12 23:10:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
FTTP is actually available in all the speed variants that FTTC is and additional ones.
So it seems that only BT Retail have figured this out and thus are happy to supply a service.

Openreach must be hemorrhaging money on providing FFTP connections to users who want FTTC speeds. I would have thought installation costs must run in the thousands!.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-12 00:31:30
Print Post

[re: MoneyBagger] [link to this post]

Install of FTTP, from the street into the house, is an average of 7 hours. FTTC must average less than an hour. It must indeed be costing them money - but they must also have budgeted to spend that money (we're already talking 12 years to get payback on FTTC).

FTTP, while costing more, is also more future-proof. Higher investment now, but a longer payback time can be endured because it *will* go on-and-on-and-on.

But the point is... that ultimately, BT *are* doing some areas as FTTP alone. Take advantage!

BT have, wisely, seen that only selling 100/30 or 330/X services on FTTP will affect take-up in the areas that are FTTP-only. It makes sense to make the lesser services (such as 40/10) available for people who want a lesser leap in SFBB.

And those people, rightly, ask why they are paying more than those who get the same service on FTTC.

BTW - Plusnet are doing FTTP as a trial at the moment. It is open for any customer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 04-Oct-12 01:36:28
Print Post

FTTP can be fibre from the exchange with no street cabinet involved.

There are FTTP products with the same speeds as FTTC for example :-

Up to 40Mbit/s / 15Mbit/s "Transition product" (including Simultaneous Provide)

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Thu 04-Oct-12 08:04:35
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

basically they run a fibre from the cabinet to your property

Tis a myth. The topology is the same as native FTTP but they will be use existing spine cable from the exchange that feed the FTTC cabinets to feed the PONs
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Thu 04-Oct-12 08:14:15
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks, corrected my post.

That does make more sense, and it's more robust - not likely to get taken out by a car wink Some of these cabinet look very prone to being run over so to speak.

Edited by R0NSKI (Thu 04-Oct-12 08:17:07)

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Oct-12 08:15:59
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Wrong as explained in other posts above.
(newbie) Thu 04-Oct-12 09:49:40
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

Plus Net are no longer accepting new trialists in Milton Keynes.

I am tied in with Sky for another few months as my telephone provider, so this would exclude me from joining BT Infinity at the moment.

Only real option is for me to give Sky a kick and see what they can do. They were slow on the FTTC take up, and are behind the curve on FTTP too now!

- Update: Another interesting thing here is that we have two phone lines, one to Bradwell Abbey and a dedicated line into Newport Pagnell (which was done in the early stages of ADSL at a fair expense to BT). No one else in my area has a line going to Newport Pagnell (according to the BT engineer who came a few months ago because of a techincal fault), yet BT have put in a fibre line between the cabinet and Newport Pagnell because FTTP is available on both phone lines that I have.

Edited by MoneyBagger (Thu 04-Oct-12 10:08:14)

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Thu 04-Oct-12 10:18:32
Print Post

You'll probably find that FTTP is location based, rather than where the line goes to, whichever line you convert the fibre will connect to the same place.

(newbie) Thu 04-Oct-12 10:24:16
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
You'll probably find that FTTP is location based, rather than where the line goes to, whichever line you convert the fibre will connect to the same place.

Interesting. So do they pull out the existing wiring that goes from the cabinet to my master sockets or run fibre alongside the existing wiring?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to