General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:15:34
Print Post

Re: Interleaving on FTTC lines

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Then there is the problem of finding suitable modems or modem/routers. The ones "illegitimately" used
The BT VDSL Line Interface Network Termination Point (NTP) is clearly shown to be before the modem in Figure 4 on page 15.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 14:06:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

There are no devices other than the OR modems licensed/approved for connection to the Openreach VDSL2 supply from the cabinet.

You are as well aware as I of the specification required for that approval, which will not be relevant anyway until the VDSL2 system is opened to third-party modem connection.

Specifically,the first three paragraphs of Section 2.4 of this SIN. All SINs being primarily for CP information.

The contract for the supply is between the CP and Openreach. As such, Openreach are no doubt empowered in that contract to remove service from a line with equipment they have not themselves tested for compliance, if they become aware of such equipment being used. The SIN in itself is not part of any contract, so the absence in it of a ban on other equipment is not indicative of permission.

The seeming absence of any stipulation about this at the moment by ISPs to their end users is a matter between them and the user if service is withdrawn by Openreach. I accept this eventuality is highly unlikely.

I submit you already fully understood this, and think you are just playing games of no benefit whatsoever to other forum users looking for realistic advice on what they can and cannot do.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 05-Oct-12 14:34:37
Print Post

There are no devices other than the OR modems licensed/approved for connection to the Openreach VDSL2 supply from the cabinet.

You are as well aware as I of the specification required for that approval, which will not be relevant anyway until the VDSL2 system is opened to third-party modem connection.

Specifically,the first three paragraphs of Section 2.4 of this SIN. All SINs being primarily for CP information.
That is for the "CP provided modem Product Variant" which isn't available yet. The figure I pointed to is for the currently available "Openreach Provided modem Product Variant" and clearly shows where the Network Termination Point is, which is before the modem. There is no requirement to use the Openreach Provided modem stated in that SIN.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 16:29:29
Print Post

You miss the point. The position of the demarcation point is irrelevant.

It is not permissible to connect non-BT-certified equipment to the network. Period. Always has been. Quite independent of broadband.

Go look at any phone handset available from reputable shops. All have certification.

If you can show that the equipment currently in use by some here, to replace the OR modem, has OR certification, then I agree with you it should be OK to attach.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 05-Oct-12 17:02:20
Print Post

What certification?

Standard User panda
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-12 17:18:05
Print Post

The SIN is simplistically a technical description. The contractual T&C's of the service can be different.

The BTW contract says:
A VDSL2 modem will be supplied and connected to the data port of the service specific front plate. [...] The active NTE must be within reach of a power supply, and must remain connected to the power and data port of the service specific front plate at all times.
and
The Openreach physical network demarcation point within the End Userís premises is the NTE5 although Openreach will also install and maintain the active NTE.

How strictly it is enforced or whether the ISP passes this requirement on to the End User is another matter, but the contractual obligation exists.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User simon194
(member) Fri 05-Oct-12 17:18:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What certification?

I was wondering that. I remember the green sticker things years ago but I though that was dropped. None of my phones have any mention of BT certification anywhere on the phone, base station or documentation.
Standard User simon194
(member) Fri 05-Oct-12 17:41:07
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

I've worked it out now. It was the old BABT thing which is now TUV Sud certification.

Now the CE certification which comes under the TUV Sud certification means that a product meets all applicable EU directives so that means that my BiPAC 8200N which has the CE mark is certified to be used on a BT VDSL2 connection.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 05-Oct-12 17:42:31
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

I agree, I think it's the CE mark too.

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 05-Oct-12 17:43:13)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Oct-12 17:55:29
Print Post

It is not permissible to connect non-BT-certified equipment to the network. Period. Always has been. Quite independent of broadband.

Wrong. It was never BT it was BABT (which is now part of Ofcom). It cannot be the operator certifying what is essentially a safety discussion - especially when the point of privatising BT was to allow competition.

Go look at any phone handset available from reputable shops. All have certification.

I believe BABT approval marks gone (green circle and the red triangle) - essentially replaced by the EU's CE mark, due to single market rules. BABT still exists as an organisation and is owned by the Germans according to wikipedia.

Even a BT branded telephone I have the box for here doesn't visibly have the green circle anymore - the unit itself has a CE mark on the base.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)

Edited by jchamier (Fri 05-Oct-12 17:58:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to