General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zirhky
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:54:32
Print Post

Re: Who to believe, Sky Customer Services or Openreach W&W M

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Then they might say you are in a contract for the phone .... frown

Hah! Now that would be an interesting development....

... So I couldn't just get a 500m extension lead from the cabinet to a power socket at my house? I could run the cable along kerbs/through bushes/etc so to not get in the way of cars/civilians?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 14:09:42
Print Post

[re: zirhky] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zirhky:
izools - appreciate you checking on FTTC Check. I'd already done that so was aware my cabinet was in the planned rollout - but what Openreach are saying (according to the W&W Map) is that when it's come to supplying power to the cabinet they've decided it's not commercially viable to do so, and the cabinet has been deferred from the program... I'm assuming the Openreach W&W Map is more up-to-date than FTTC Check as individual cabinet data on there is from December 2011?
Exactly. There have been at least three later issues of the spreadsheet. The last I know of was June or July.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 14:18:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by zirhky:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Then they might say you are in a contract for the phone .... frown

Hah! Now that would be an interesting development....

... So I couldn't just get a 500m extension lead from the cabinet to a power socket at my house? I could run the cable along kerbs/through bushes/etc so to not get in the way of cars/civilians?
LOL.

I assume either you are joking, or you are willing to power the DSLAM and the battery backup in the cabinet 24/7/365? With liability for loss of service to all connected customers should one of your fuses blow.

Nice idea smile.

Seriously, re the phone, that isn't a laughing matter, as your line would be connected to a Sky DSLAM in the exchange and only Sky ADSL2+ would be available on it. Even though fibre may not be available to you. Unless they were willing to move it back to Openreach WLR3.

Whether they would allow other ISPs' WBC broadband on that WLR3 connection would be the next issue. They have done in the past, in the days before they made their phone line compulsory for their own broadband. In fact, quite a few O2 LLU users had their phone on Sky WLR3. May still have.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-12 15:49:15
Print Post

Have you checked to see if your cabinet has its fibre twin installed ?

Standard User zirhky
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 20:20:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Haha yeah, was kidding. Regarding the phone though, I thought you meant Sky Customer Services would simply be awkward in saying I'm tied in with their contract now - I hadn't considered the technical implications... Might be worth giving them a call tomorrow to enquire about worst case scenario.

R0NSKI - I haven't checked out the cabinet yet, I actually thought my cabinet was somewhere else until the map pinpointed it! Going to swing by over the weekend and see what's up.

Thanks for everyone's help wink. I'll be disappointed if Fibre is definitely a no-go, but it's not the end of the world. I get a consistent 7mb and I know there are people A LOT worse off with their connections... Still, would be a shame being in an enabled area without it... So close yet so far!
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-12 20:24:34
Print Post

Don't count on the push pin being in the correct place, my works cabinet is shown in the wrong place - down the road and round the corner from where it is.

Standard User mysterym10
(learned) Tue 18-Dec-12 13:11:05
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Has the tile hill exchange actually been converted to fibre now? I know sam knows has a status of fibre available in certain areas but the openreach twitter shows nothing yet.

Have any of you chaps seen any cabinets on the westwood heath road? I can't see any existing or new cabinets frown

I'm hoping fibre will make it our way (its still served by the tile hill exchange) and they don't do a virgin cable and ignore the westwood heath road completely.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to