General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iwish
(committed) Fri 07-Dec-12 14:45:54
Print Post

Re: FTTC - Motherwell -,What the signs?

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Our cab went live today for orders. I got a installation date of 9th next month.
the cab had sat for about 3 weeks after all the dinging and cable was done
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Sun 09-Dec-12 10:34:25
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

Well the trench is filled in and looking very smoothly from look of it.

Think it was power they were putting in, as yesterday they were back but pulling a cable through the ducts (they had the covers up on what I assume are cable duct access points, a couple of hundred yards apart) as saw they getting ready to put a blue cable through, to pull the fibre through with????
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Fri 14-Dec-12 08:26:03
Print Post

[re: ajackuk] [link to this post]

BTW - is it true they put a big sticker on the FTTC box when it is ready?

Went to visit friends and got talking on the subject, they said they knew it was ready when a damn big sticker had been applied, advertising what the cabinet was for.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Fri 14-Dec-12 10:09:36
Print Post

No, those stickers can appear anytime, they've even been spotted on cabinets which aren't yet live.

Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Fri 14-Dec-12 14:49:13
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Darn!

Will just have to learn patience smile
Standard User ArchStanton67
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 10:46:24
Print Post

Hi,

Coming to this thread late. I live just around the corner and yes, we have been eagerly awaitng this fttc - our connection speeds have been abysmal for the ten years we have lived at this address.

Anyway, my questions are - once this is live, what do we do? How do we go about being upgraded? Will we get the much improved broadband service automatically from our current privider (Sky) or will we have to ungrade our account?

I'm assumng providers other than BT will be able to give us the improved service - or do we have to move back to BT? If so, how do we go about choosing the correct package?

We currently get everything - TV, broadband, calls, line rental - from Sky.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 11:05:04
Print Post

[re: ArchStanton67] [link to this post]

Welcome neighbour!!
My take on the questions you asked:
“Anyway, my questions are - once this is live, what do we do? How do we go about being upgraded?” Keep an eye on the OpenReach / BT checker – it will say the exchange is now enabled and orders being taken. It is only when you place an order (I think) that they can tell if you are on a fully working FTTC cabinet. The is quite possibly a delay between the BT system knowing “we” are now live, and the system your current provider (Sky) uses. It could be a day or two delay, it could be longer – hopefully others will chime in.

“Will we get the much improved broadband service automatically from our current privider (Sky) or will we have to ungrade our account?” No, you are on their ADSL type account, and will have to upgrade to their fibre offering – check the Sky web site for details on the different costs. You will have to tell Sky you want to move to their fibre account, place an order, nothing will happen automatically. It might be worth checking with them now if you are locked into some time specific contract and cannot upgrade until x months have passed. Think unlikely as you want to stay with them, but worth checking. Speed wise , the BT checked gave an ESTIMATED download speed for us as 68 meg – better than the 3 or 4 I get currently, but it is only a guide of course.

“I'm assumng providers other than BT will be able to give us the improved service - or do we have to move back to BT? If so, how do we go about choosing the correct package?” Sky should offering fibre from the Motherwell exchange, it may just not be available for you to order as quickly as it would for BT – for the delay type reasons I mentioned above. From what I have read, unlike ADSL where Sky, Talk Talk etc have put their own kit in the exchanges, everyone “buys” their fibre from BT at some wholesale type rate. Am sure will be corrected if I got that wrong!

Packages – check what Sky are offering and make your choice on what you are looking for out of faster speeds. I also think you can still get everything from Sky if you want to.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 18-Dec-12 12:00:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by ajackuk:
The is quite possibly a delay between the BT system knowing “we” are now live, and the system your current provider (Sky) uses. It could be a day or two delay, it could be longer – hopefully others will chime in.

It could be considerably longer for Sky than most other providers.

All ISPs using the BT Openreach FTTx system use the same equipment from the end user to the parent exchange (in most cases the same exchange your voice service comes from, but not always). Assuming we're talking about FTTC, you'll have the same:

* BT provided VDSL2 modem
* faceplate filter on an NTE5 'linebox' master socket
* metallic pair (copper or, in some cases, aluminium) to the PCP (green cabinet)
* tie cable pair from to the DSLAM port in the FTTC cabinet (new green cabinet)
* fibre link from the DSLAM to the exchange FTTx switch for broadband
* tie cable pair from the splitter in the DSLAM cabinet to an E side cable pair in the PCP for voice service from the exchange

Depending on the ISP, either you or the ISP provide the router that connects to the BT modem.

From the exchange to the ISP, most ISPs use the BT Wholesale network. This seems to be provisioned from the day the exchange goes live.

TalkTalk and Sky do not use BT Wholesale. Both these ISPs connect to the BT Openreach equipment at each exchange where they offer FTTx service and use their own network for backhaul. There is often a delay between the exchange going live and this connection being made - it can be several months, maybe even longer. Ultimately, it is up to TalkTalk and Sky which exchanges they cover and when.

The link to the BT Openreach equipment is the easy part - the difficult part for Sky and TalkTalk is upgrading their network at each covered exchange for FTTx traffic.
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 15:17:45
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks for the update on the order of events, very interesting indeed.
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 09:31:04
Print Post

Bum!!

Openreach shows we have lsipped to March frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to