General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User think26872
(committed) Fri 12-Oct-12 19:27:32
Print Post

Re: Engineer install not using JDSU???

[re: Fragsey] [link to this post]

Do you know what was the estimate for your line? Thanks
Standard User Lorian
(committed) Fri 12-Oct-12 20:32:41
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

My line remained on fast path at or near max attainable rate for 15 days from install despite muich instability, re-syncs and packet loss (and several OR visits) On day 15 DLM totally over-reacted and gave me some 25ms+ of delay from interleaving. It's now starting to recover from that.

My engineer(s) referred to the phonecall and sms as a "fast test". Its error reports always differed from those from the JDSU. Two differnt jdsu on my line also reported my downstream around 20% pessemistically compared to my hg612. I have a 1.2Km ish d-side.
Standard User Fragsey
(regular) Sun 14-Oct-12 20:01:54
Print Post

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

Sorry not replied sooner, busy at work frown

On Vivaciti i got around 2.5-4 meg sync, variable day to day and on a good day up to 6 meg (rare) on 59db attenuation.

From the BT checker (with ADSL info for comparison):

----

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 4Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 57.5Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.

----

Current Speed tests

Speedtest.net:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2241831868.png

TBB Test (though upload shows slower):

My Broadband Speed Test

-------------
http://www.fun4forums.co.uk

Xilo FTTC :: 56Mb d / 14mb u

Previously: Vivaciti LLU :: UKFSN / entanet Max :: <n>ildram Max :: plusnet 512k/1Mbit :: Bulldog 512k :: BTopenworld 512k :: AOL 56k \o/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Oct-12 22:07:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK, sorry for the late arrival folks, had no BB for a week,(long story).

Almost certainly, the engineer the OP refers to is one of the new contractors now doing some of the FTTC installs. They don't have JDSU/Exfo testers, just an inverter so they can power a modem and check for sync at the cab (wouldn't be surprised if they weren't bothering to do this, and to be fair, many cabs you can't park close enough). Once the internal fit is done, and the modem in sync, you dial the fast test number, this confirms the right telephone number, and then makes two tests, one of the overall line (no good old fashioned line faults present, they couldn't fix it if there were) and the second makes a test to modem returning the sync rates. The results will be sent back the users mobile in the form of two texts. The first says 'line tests OK' (hopefully) and the second the up and down sync rates, and will also record if errors are present.

No point asking me for the test number, as this only works with mobile numbers registered to engineering staff, and if there is a valid provision or repair task open.

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Oct-12 10:52:42
Print Post

[re: Fragsey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fragsey:
I thought the engineer used a JDSU to test sync ect. Instead Texted something using his mobile and recived a reply back with the sync speed and error stats. (59Mb) Confirmed all the lights were on

This is exactly what happened 18 months ago when my install was done. So it is not a recent thing.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to