General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Nov-12 19:10:23
Print Post

Re: why change to fibre?

[re: loggie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by loggie:
A very basic question. I currently have downlaod speeds of about 5.5mbs - I use less than 10gb download per month - I only stream music and TV catch up like bbciplayer.
So with all the hype of getting onto the fibre broadband bandwaggon, apart from faster download speed, what benifit would I get from switching to fibre? It will cost £12 per month extra!
Thanks

Depends what you use your broadband for at the end of the day. if you got a family and lots of devices connected to the net then the extra bandwidth is useful

I could cope with 5 megabits, in fact I coped with less, but when I had a chance to got to a different system that would offer me 5megabits i went for it. i now got 10 megabits from the same system.

If i could have got 5 megabits on ADSL then i would have stayed with ADS,L, that is enough for netflix at SD and also for BBc I player as long as you don't use the net for anything else at the same time.

If you don't want to watch HD content and you can cope with what you got then stay with what you have got, no one is forcing you to get fibre, well not yet anyway.

fibre around here was pretty close to being completed when i changed from ADSL to what I am on now, i could have waited, but I don't think I need 40 megabits.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 21:01:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Sky box on BBC iplayer 2.7GB for HD one hour, and certainly I do see films around that size.
Yeah my mistake when creating the post. That 1.2GB should have been 2.4GB. It works out at 800kb/s as I originally wrote though. Very impressive.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sat 10-Nov-12 11:43:36
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by MHC:
The BBC recommendation is for a 3500 kbps connection to run HD. So you should not see any pauses whilst buffering - startup whilst it initially buffers some content will be a little slower but nothing significant or annoyingly noticeable.
But amazingly the Sky box manages 1.2GB an hour which is a tad under 700kb/s - and it looks very good. Pretty much broadcast quality. I don't normally use catch-up but have been playing with the Sky box recently and I'm astounded how good HD can look at low bit-rates.

Don't forget the downloads are compressed AV files so the actual file size doesn't have a bearing on the actual video bitrate. The average video bitrate, IIRC, is around 8-10 Mbps for Sky's HD On Demand content compared to around 3 Mbps for iPlayer HD content.

For comparison: the HD iPlayer file from the iPlayer website for last week's Strictly is 1.1GB compared to the 4.51GB via iPlayer on Sky's On Demand service.

Sky use progressive download rather than streaming for all On Demand content because it works the on pretty much any connection whether it's >100Kbps or 20 Mbps, the programme just takes longer to become available to watch on a slow connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DRW
(committed) Sat 10-Nov-12 11:50:54
Print Post

With greater speed and data volume your use of the service will change and expand.
At the moment your usage is limited by the amount of data you can receive in a sensible amount of time. If you had a faster service your usage would expand to fill the availability.

I used to exist quite happily on bog standard ADSL (and before that on Dial up) but now on FTTC I have greatly exceeded my usage volumes of the past.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Nov-12 11:56:28
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

Very true.

I've gone up from 3GB pm to 7GB pm tongue .

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Nov-12 12:21:46
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

"Don't forget the downloads are compressed AV files"

All video formats are compressed, even the production phase 225 Mbps bit rate or lower is used, raw HD is around 1.6Gbps

Very little to no content on the Sky HD on demand is available that uses a bit rate of 8 to 10 Mbps for the video, that would equate to a file size in the 5 to 6GB range.

Or are you suggesting that Sky somehow are compressing this 5 to 6GB files into 2 to 3GB downloads? Which is not what happens, as the video compression to go from broadcast quality masters has already compressed the that, most video files if you try to compress a second time only give a gain of 1-2%, unless you resample the actual video frames. Which in turn reduces the video bitrate.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Nov-12 19:44:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Very true.
I've gone up from 3GB pm to 7GB pm tongue .

Sounds like you're an AAISP user wink My usage is on average about 30GB a month, peaking at 50GB. Not really changed from BE 14meg to BT FTTC 40meg, just much less waiting on my uploads smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Nov-12 21:22:01
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Lol, actually I'm very wrong. It's not as impressive as I thought. It's 700KBps which is 5.6Mb/s - now it makes sense smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 10-Nov-12 21:34:44)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Nov-12 21:28:22
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DRW:
With greater speed and data volume your use of the service will change and expand.
At the moment your usage is limited by the amount of data you can receive in a sensible amount of time. If you had a faster service your usage would expand to fill the availability.
Mine hasn't changed much. About 7GB most months. If Sky improved their catch-up so that it reliably had stuff I watch on it then I might start to use it more. But right now I can get everything I want by just knowing how to use the EPG and shifting recordings to avoid clashes.

In any case - with bit rates the way they are who needs high-speed?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User TMCR
(member) Sat 10-Nov-12 22:18:12
Print Post

> why change to fibre?

The man from Sky who called me said it's warmer in winter too...

(BTW: not touched a drop!)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to