General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 28-Nov-12 03:22:32
Print Post

Re: Is this normal?

[re: madnutter56] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by madnutter56:
Ok, so I got up this morning to find my line is now a 67Mbit line with interleaving frown I'd imagine that over the next few weeks the DLM will notice the lack of errors now and remove interleaving and leave me with a lower sync speed on fast path?

Yes - that is indeed what you have (with identical INP & delay values to bald_eagle, so it suggests that DLM's first effort believes you need a fair degree of intervention).

As someone else's line on this forum, you've been given protection level of 16 parity bytes out of every block of 80 - so 20% of the line is being used as extra protection.

And it shows. The "Since Link" stats show near 20,000 FEC, 3 CRC and 1 ES in the 3.5 hours since the line was resynced. The parity protection has worked.

Hopefully the DLM will gradually reduce the interleaving depth over the next few days. I'll post an update in a weeks time, or if I get back on fastpath before then, whichever comes first.

Understand the nuances of setting interleaving is (as you can tell) quite a technical sport. I have no idea if you will see improvements, or if they'll happen in less than a month. But keeping us updated will be good wink

But be patient!

On the timings:

The guy first arrived at 8:10, but didn't stop, just drove straight back up the road again.
He then came back and parked on next doors driveway as I was leaving the house at 8:20

From here on out I'm relying on what I've been told with regards to timings.

He stayed for maybe 5 minutes (8:25) and then drove off again. At this point I'm assuming he went to the cab to connect the patch cables over to the FTTC cab?

He then came back, don't know what time but I'd imagine it would have been shortly before 8:35?

Don't know what time he left but I'd imagine that he finished the install and turned the modem on at 8:45, right when my attainable rate dropped. The CRC'd then must have started when he connected then in the cab.

Has he knocked something?

That's a bit more back-and-forth to the cabinet than I've seen in a previous "normal/working" installation. Normally the OR guy would attend the cabinet once only, and would go there first, to patch the line through to the FTTC cab.

So perhaps he did knock something, or took your line down in some way (IIRC the width of the red spike was a little wider than a plain resync; so it may have lasted a while), or perhaps he even took out the whole cabinet!

Perhaps your CRC errors started once the neighbour was patched into FTTC, even if he had no modem locally. And then your "attainable" numbers dropped only after the modem was plugged into the line too.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 28-Nov-12 03:27:47
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
My connection is quite poor due to a long distance from the cabinet, but I usually only see around 110 Error Seconds in a 24 hour period, admittedly with DS Interleaving at a depth of 443, INP at 3.00 & delay at 8.00.

Yes, you'd hope that the interleaving/FEC level chosen would be enough to keep CRC and ES down (to a low, but non-zero, level).

What do you get for the corresponding N and R values?

I sure hope these can be graphed in some way! I'll be going back to look at some of my old logs, to see what I can infer from the different interleaving & FEC parameters now...
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Wed 28-Nov-12 06:34:12
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

December 2011 - Frequent but intermittent disconnections:-
Max: Upstream rate = 6244 Kbps, Downstream rate = 34640 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 6311 Kbps, Downstream rate = 27189 Kbps

Path 0
R: 12 12
N: 44 204
D: 1743 1
INP: 8.50 0.00
delay: 16.00 0.00

May 2012 - DLM reset following line problems being FINALLY & permanently fixed:-
Max: Upstream rate = 4800 Kbps, Downstream rate = 31280 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 4815 Kbps, Downstream rate = 30813 Kbps

Path 0
R: 0 12
N: 240 156
D: 1 1
INP: 0.00 0.00
delay: 0.00 0.00

November 2012 (today) - Stable connection since May 2012:-
Max: Upstream rate = 5452 Kbps, Downstream rate = 33088 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 5279 Kbps, Downstream rate = 28043 Kbps

Path 0
R: 16 12
N: 80 172
D: 443 1
INP: 3.00 0.00
delay: 8.00 0.00

My D-side is somewhere between 850m & 1000m in length, depending on which of 2 possible routes is actually taken nearer to the cabinets.
I suspect it is the longer of the two.
The old PCP is around 60m closer to me than the fibre cabinet.

TDR tests suggest a length of around 1200m based on the electrical properties of the cabling/joints etc.

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Wed 28-Nov-12 06:34:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User madnutter56
(learned) Wed 28-Nov-12 09:10:00
Print Post

Yeah sorry about that, the stats graphs will be fine, but luckily I set up a script to cache my BQM every time it is loaded through my site, so I have the original graph:

http://bqm.alexhoulton.co.uk/archive/bqm_2012-11-26_...
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 28-Nov-12 09:20:17
Print Post

[re: madnutter56] [link to this post]

You can choose any day on BQM and link to that directly so why do you need to cache it yourself?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(learned) Wed 28-Nov-12 09:20:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Understand the nuances of setting interleaving is (as you can tell) quite a technical sport. I have no idea if you will see improvements, or if they'll happen in less than a month. But keeping us updated will be good wink

I had no idea it was so complicated, but yes I'll be sure to keep you updated, either weekly or whenever something changes smile

That's a bit more back-and-forth to the cabinet than I've seen in a previous "normal/working" installation. Normally the OR guy would attend the cabinet once only, and would go there first, to patch the line through to the FTTC cab.

Perhaps he went to the cab, couldn't find the line (maybe thought it was ours but then realised it wasn't when he saw it already connected to the FTTC cab), came to put something on the line to help him find it? Then went back to the cab to connect it?
(learned) Wed 28-Nov-12 10:31:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I just completely forgot frown
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 28-Nov-12 13:12:47
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You can choose any day on BQM and link to that directly so why do you need to cache it yourself?

Because the BQM tool loses them. My history has nothing available from before May 2012, rendering any old threads I posted about my line meaningless.

Never rely on someone else's website...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Nov-12 18:20:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by MHC:
Because the BQM tool loses them. My history has nothing available from before May 2012, rendering any old threads I posted about my line meaningless.

Never rely on someone else's website...
Change of IP address?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(learned) Tue 04-Dec-12 19:09:26
Print Post

First update, the modem has been in sync for over 7 days now since interleaving was applied. The error stats for the 7 day period are below:

Text
Since Link time = 7 days 13 hours 30 min 57 sec
FEC:            917540          4980CRC:            68              395
ES:             15              333SES:            0               0
UAS:            0               0LOS:            0               0
LOF:            0               0
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to