General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MadPom
(regular) Fri 14-Dec-12 11:46:58
Print Post

Re: Affect of distance on fibre line

[re: chubsta] [link to this post]

I'm about 600m from my cabinet following the likely cable path. When first installed I got the full 38/10 and after the speed upgrade 56/20. A couple of months back someone on my street had it installed (and Openreach kindly disconnected me for a few hours whilst they installed it) and it plummeted to 32/20. Now that the Xmas lights are in people's gardens I'm seeing 25/20 at night. BT adsl checker says I should be seeing 58/20.

Basically from my experience it starts out great and as it becomes more popular it just nosedives.

(Speeds I quote above are the IP Profile for my line according to the BT Speedtester - throughput is usually ~1mbps lower downstream and ~5mbps lower upstream)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 11:56:49
Print Post

[re: MadPom] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MadPom:
Now that the Xmas lights are in people's gardens I'm seeing 25/20 at night. BT adsl checker says I should be seeing 58/20.

As they are causing interference with a telecommunications service, you have a legal right to ask them to stop. If they refuse then you can go through OFCOM but that will take too long. Or you could go to court directly.

During the summer I was speaking to an acquaintance about interference issues. Last December he had lost almost all his VDSL services and it was soon tacked down to on house with a large number of lights. Apparently he asked them to stop and they refused. A solicitors letter was ignored. The third try was a strongly worded letter stating that legal action would be forthcoming within 24 hours and suggested that the householder took legal advice as they would be liable for all costs - they turned most of their lights OFF.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 13:11:25
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Christmas lights would have no affect at that distance

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 13:14:05
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

When you know what you are talking about, feel free to comment.

Posting totally incorrect rubbish will mislead people - but then that is second nature to you. You know nothing about the subject so just shut up and stay out of it.

M H C

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 13:18:53
Print Post

I suugest you do not understand what you are talking about. Chistmas lights will only in some circumstance affect Broadband and they would need to be withing less than a metre away. A tree next door will have no impact
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 13:22:02
Print Post

Yet more totally misleading information. I have said it once, and I will repeat it. Stay out of a subject you know nothing about.

Your last statement is total and utter rubbish ...

When you have experience in dealing with RFI issues then feel free to comment but that will be a long time coming.

M H C

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 13:25:35
Print Post

You are just displaying how little you know about the subject. Casrry on spouting your rubbish. Do you light bulbs in your house interfere with your Broadand or is it the fairies in the fairy lights down the road. Complete and total bilge from you
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 13:28:28
Print Post

Just shut up.

Light bulbs are totally different in their operation to Christmas Tree lights ... but you do not understand the basics. PROOF of your total lack of any knowledge on the subject.

Even the OP has seen the effects ...

M H C

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 13:33:03
Print Post

That real shows how daft you are. Unless you re using low energy bulbs they are identical other than for voltage pd
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 13:38:20
Print Post

Christmas lights, which run on cheap imported power supplies, have been ackowledged as a severe problem for internet connections for as long as I remember. It's the PS that is the issue, not the lights themselves.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to