General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Fri 14-Dec-12 13:41:25
Print Post

Re: Affect of distance on fibre line

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

You can use www.walkjogrun.net to trace a route and measure it's distance, without getting cold and wet smile

MHC, if I remember correctly don't you have some qualifications in RFI?

And I would think it's more likely to be the controllers causing the interference via constantly switching the lights on and off, pulsing etc, not just by a bulb being on as bob puts it.

I'm on about 450 meter line and get about 45/12, which is at the lower end of what others get, interestingly I was first on the cab but my speeds have stayed the same since about three days after install in August.

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 14:14:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

THere are two potential soiuces of interference. THe lights them self if they are of the flashing variety and the PSU but in both cases they would need to be very close to the line to cause a problem. TYpically less than a metre so a tree in a house next dor is not going to cause a problem. I suspect the problem may be more to do with the damp weather
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 14:37:22
Print Post

The PSU even if from China should meet the requirements of the CE Marking directive. which amongst other thing covers safety and emc/rfi

If the product is sourced from outside of the EU it is the repsonsibility of whoever imports it into the EU to obtain the relevent approvals and CE mark it and sign the Declaration of Conformity. They can if they choose use a Notified body to obtaain this approval.There has been some product from China that has used marking similar to the CE logo marking and claiming it stands for China Export.THese are not CE approved.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iwish
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 14:42:09
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

You continue to give out bad and wrong advice. I suggests you take a week or several off and give us all a break
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 16:37:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bob_s2:
... so a tree in a house next dor is not going to cause a problem.
Quite simply, wrong.
I suspect the problem may be more to do with the damp weather
Really? How quaint. In actual fact it is the cold, causing the diameter, and similarly the circumference, of the copper wire to decrease. As current flows along the outside of the copper it therefore has lower conductivity.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Dec-12 17:56:20
Print Post

Just to back up what so many others have said, you are wrong.

And before you take your usual tack, bear in mind I am one of the few users of this forum who actually faults and fixes this stuff for a living.

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 17:59:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Sorry you are wrong xmas tree lights in a garden doors away will have no effect. I suggest you need better training
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Dec-12 18:00:40
Print Post

(breeze)

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 18:01:00
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

I suggest that you have not a clue as to what you are talking about. PLease describe the type of interference your are taling about and its frequency
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 14-Dec-12 18:06:46
Print Post

The effect of that though should not be great and also the line wil be very marginally shorter in cold weather. I suspect that it may be more the condition of the line with moisture getting into the joints
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to