General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Dec-12 14:22:43
Print Post

Re: Looking like two engineer no-shows in a week...

[re: Stoo] [link to this post]

Yes, although the reason I mentioned the FTTC interstitial master socket is because you should have had one fitted as part of the install, but I guess your Kelly man couldn't be bothered to do the proper job.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Stoo
(member) Thu 20-Dec-12 14:56:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
No big deal to replace if necessary I wouldn't have thought.

Yeah, like I said, I'll keep an eye on it, and if I start getting signal degradation, I'll give Zen a call and get an engineer out to change the faceplate.
Standard User Stoo
(member) Thu 20-Dec-12 14:59:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Yes, although the reason I mentioned the FTTC interstitial master socket is because you should have had one fitted as part of the install, but I guess your Kelly man couldn't be bothered to do the proper job.

TBH, given how harassed he seemed, it doesn't surprise me - he had at least 10 installs to do that morning apparently.

Even if the speed halved from what it is now, it's considerably better than what I had before, and it'd do until a real openreach engineer turned out to fix it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Dec-12 18:29:43
Print Post

If it does turn out to need replacing, I suggest you just play dumb. Say you've just discovered it should have a normal faceplate with the Openreach VDSL interstitial filter, but the Kelly engineer didn't fit it ....

But it won't. Unless it fails, just like any filter can.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 20-Dec-12 18:30:31)

Standard User zebedee
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Dec-12 14:26:54
Print Post

My friend spoke to BT yesterday, 3 different departments. Eventually he found someone who checked and said that it appeared that a fault had been found at the fibre cabinet.

She then claimed that the KC engineer had gone back and put the three houses back on the adsl cabinet. Yeah, that will be why when he took the ECI modem out of the equation, and re-connected the hub directly, the dsl light was out!

Earliest they can get another engineer out is first week in January frown She is supposed to be phoning him back today with an update but I haven't heard from him yet.

This is all they needed. They had an elderly relative pass away last weekend and they are trying to sort out funeral arrangements etc as well as being executors of his estate.

The original Zebedee since 2001
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 15:40:12
Print Post

[re: zebedee] [link to this post]

Just seen your images ...

On the filter interior there does not appear to be any ty-wraps fitted. Can I suggest you put a couple on to stop the wires being pulled out accidentally.

And the label - 5 years (and 3 months) of warranty from supply date, that is confidence!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Fri 21-Dec-12 15:41:00)

Standard User Stoo
(member) Fri 21-Dec-12 17:19:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Just seen your images ...

On the filter interior there does not appear to be any ty-wraps fitted. Can I suggest you put a couple on to stop the wires being pulled out accidentally.

And the label - 5 years (and 3 months) of warranty from supply date, that is confidence!

No need to worry about accidental pullage, it's all in the loft well out of the way of anything wink

and yep, that's one loooong warranty period!

Edited by Stoo (Fri 21-Dec-12 17:19:57)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 17:21:04
Print Post

I wondered what you were on about tongue. You posted in reply to zebedee smile. Now Stoo makes it clear.

Edit - but the flattened white cable implies a grip of some sort there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 21-Dec-12 17:22:44)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 17:26:49
Print Post

Hmmm.

Surely the filter is mounted the wrong way round? Shouldn't the incoming cable enter close to the screw connectors and the user side near the IDC connectors?

Whether or not it makes any difference to its function, I wouldn't have thought it was good to have the two sets of wires tangled up together.

Standard User Stoo
(member) Fri 21-Dec-12 17:41:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

They're just the spare pairs in the cables - green/black from the DP, the other two from the cable to the NTE5. Given the short cable lengths, I doubt they'd be picking up any interference etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to