General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 17:46:51
Print Post

Re: Looking like two engineer no-shows in a week...

[re: Stoo] [link to this post]

Well, I'll grant you they cross almost at right-angles, but the two inputs and two ouputs cross twice. (The "at" right-angles" probably doesn't matter as the power levels are tiny). The whole design implies to me it should be the other way.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 21-Dec-12 17:47:54)

Standard User partial
(member) Fri 21-Dec-12 17:51:50
Print Post

You got split legs from the rf filter block terminal to the socket. Should be Blue / Orange not Blue / Brown.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 18:24:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, it is the right way round. If the incoming cable was close to te screw terminals there would be some nasty tight bends. The Tech that installed it has even run the cable the right side of the fixing screw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 21:16:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Accepted smile. I think the comment about the split pair may be valid though? Assuming we are seeing the colours accurately.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 23:17:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't know ...

In two pair drop wire it would be Or/Wh & Gn/Bk

In four pair Or/Wh, R/Gy, Bl/Bn, Gn/Bk - so it could be correct.

But that is probably internal cable - hopefully to a BT CWxxxx spec.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User zebedee
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Dec-12 12:21:05
Print Post

[re: zebedee] [link to this post]

KC man definitely didn't reconnect the adsl connection - just been round to double check.

Mate spoke to BT, explained his personal circumstances and asked for his MAC. Immediate escalation up the system. Tried to get him an engineer appointment to sort it all out on Thursday or Friday, but earliest could guarantee was next Monday so he agreed to that, with discussion about compensation to follow after it is sorted smile

The original Zebedee since 2001
Standard User zebedee
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Dec-12 23:34:38
Print Post

The saga continues......

Appointment for second engineer had to be put back from Monday to Saturday (5th) as "no one available to come in on overtime until then". Has been promised it will be a fully trained Openreach engineer this time smile.

Mate was passing the fibre cabinet yesterday and saw an Openreach engineer with his head in the box so jumped out the car and had a friendly chat with him. He was also having trouble with an FTTC connection!

Upshot was that he checked whether my mate had indeed been re-connected back to the adsl side (as supposedly reported back to BT by the FC chap). He hadn't of course, so the BT chap did it there and then, so at least he has net access again in the interim. Mate was appreciative wink

Fingers crossed BT will have sorted out whatever it is that is proving troublesome with this cabinet by next week (and which partially vindicates the FC chap as far as that is concerned, though not the way he handled the rest of it).

Edited by zebedee (Sat 29-Dec-12 23:37:32)

Standard User Stoo
(member) Sun 30-Dec-12 11:40:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by zebedee:
The saga continues......

Appointment for second engineer had to be put back from Monday to Saturday (5th) as "no one available to come in on overtime until then". Has been promised it will be a fully trained Openreach engineer this time smile.

Mate was passing the fibre cabinet yesterday and saw an Openreach engineer with his head in the box so jumped out the car and had a friendly chat with him. He was also having trouble with an FTTC connection!

Upshot was that he checked whether my mate had indeed been re-connected back to the adsl side (as supposedly reported back to BT by the FC chap). He hadn't of course, so the BT chap did it there and then, so at least he has net access again in the interim. Mate was appreciative wink

Fingers crossed BT will have sorted out whatever it is that is proving troublesome with this cabinet by next week (and which partially vindicates the FC chap as far as that is concerned, though not the way he handled the rest of it).

Good luck getting it sorted!

Mine has been rock-solid so far *crosses fingers* - sync is at the full 80/20 and hasn't budged at all smile
Standard User zebedee
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-12 14:14:16
Print Post

If you are going into town this week, and you see OR vans parked up by a green object just past G. St. P. Ave, you'll know why wink

Edited by zebedee (Sun 30-Dec-12 14:16:40)

Standard User zebedee
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:28:51
Print Post

Finally sorted!

Good engineer yesterday. OR trained this time smile

Threw the blame back on Kelly Communications and their lack of training. Said if the KC engineer had just used the OR helpline when at the cabinet they could have told him where he had gone wrong immediately!

Friends are on the capped option and getting the full 40 Meg speed, could be over 50 but they are happy with that smile

They will be talking to BT retail again on Monday to 'discuss' compensation wink

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to