General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 00:31:21
Print Post

Re: 320m From FTTC Cabinet???

[re: Housey1] [link to this post]

Any reason for choosing BT? Damn expensive!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Housey1
(newbie) Mon 17-Dec-12 00:43:04
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Bt get the first orders when the FTTC is live, more of a wait if your with other providers.
Moving my line from sky on the 15th december to BT this should speed up the transfer when infinity is live.

Hate the wait.

Edited by Housey1 (Mon 17-Dec-12 00:44:38)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Dec-12 00:45:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Are they expensive? For unlimited I find them hard to beat especially when looking at an 80Mbps product.

You can get cheaper with offpeak and onpeak usage etc (but not really ideal for lots of people).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Dec-12 00:51:13
Print Post

I think he is comparing to plusnet who is just about the cheapest FTTC service out there, on an average price BT arent too bad assuming ok with dynamic ip.

Also I dont consider £26 a month a lot of money for broadband, I rather see some other isp's underpriced. Also consider the cost of line rental of BT when paying a year up front, Average £4 a month cheaper than other providers.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Sync 80/20

History since 2000 - freeserve 512/256kbit, nildram 512/256kbit, ntl 10, nildram 6/0.4, aaisp 6/0.4, entanet 6/0.8, ukonline 6/1, uno 5.5/0.7, virgin media 30/2
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Mon 17-Dec-12 02:36:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Are they expensive? For unlimited I find them hard to beat especially when looking at an 80Mbps product.

You can get cheaper with offpeak and onpeak usage etc (but not really ideal for lots of people).

Plusnet seem to have just gone cheaper - £20 for unlimited 80/20 (full announcement due on Wednesday).

I'm 400 metres (assuming Google Maps have their distance correct), and *just* get 80/20 (modem reports 80/26 as the attainable).

The attainable has dropped a little over the year from 83/25 - probably due to neighbours getting connected - and the prediction was 55/18.
Standard User Housey1
(newbie) Mon 17-Dec-12 06:33:44
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

When you get connected to fibre is it easy to find what you attainable down load rates could be or is that something thats hidden info on the modem.?
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Dec-12 06:47:22
Print Post

It's hidden in the modem and you'll never actually achieve the max attainable anyway. It's a figure given so many factors being perfect (which they never are).

At best it should be used as a guideline
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Mon 17-Dec-12 06:50:32
Print Post

It is hidden in the modem, which needs to be unlocked to be visible.

Details of unlocking are here
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Dec-12 07:38:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
At best it should be used as a guideline

But to be honest its useless info!

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 08:58:34
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

It's useful if you are on full 40/2 or 40/10, to find out what you are looking at by moving to 80/20. Or when deciding to re-sync to gain speed, as the attainable moves around constantly during the day.

That decision is dependent on both down and up values, as the actuals, in my case at least, normally move in opposite directions. That's for the usual marginal changes. If there is a big change likely, they of course move in the same direction.

Then of course by unlocking you get all the other stats as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to