General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Dec-12 22:24:55
Print Post

Re: 320m From FTTC Cabinet???

[re: Housey1] [link to this post]

Have you considered waiting for Sky Fibre. I have this and it's totally unrestricted. No restrictions on peer to peer etc.

It took an extra 24 hours for Sky to enable my local cabinet over BT. At this stage I was able to order. I rang Sky up and got £50 free install and a discount on my package.

Worth a shot? Less hassle?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Dec-12 22:33:51
Print Post

You said 15 December on the 17th tongue smile.

As you are already with Sky, surely that's easier, and cheaper? And guarantees to keep the number!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Housey1
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 00:15:20
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Twice have moved back to sky for broadband 1st time phone line connected no broadband connection and it went on for weeks ended moving back to bt.

2nd time similar issue however the wait was shorter.

Just don't want the hassle on delayed connection I have had in the past.

Also sky has a hefty £50 activation fee ouch.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simon194
(committed) Tue 18-Dec-12 00:18:08
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Have you considered waiting for Sky Fibre. I have this and it's totally unrestricted. No restrictions on peer to peer etc.

It took an extra 24 hours for Sky to enable my local cabinet over BT. At this stage I was able to order. I rang Sky up and got £50 free install and a discount on my package.

Worth a shot? Less hassle?

Definitely less hassle as I embark, tomorrow, on my second fibre install with Sky in 6 months. I got a free install first time round this time I'm not sure because I had to pay £50 up front although some have said it get's reimbursed.
Standard User Housey1
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 00:21:48
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

well if i get free install possibly more worth staying with sky.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Dec-12 01:04:05
Print Post

yes they can.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Sync 80/20
Standard User hareng
(regular) Tue 18-Dec-12 01:10:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Housey1:
Bt get the first orders when the FTTC is live, more of a wait if your with other providers.

Kidding arent you, with an independant ISP two years ago it took from order to up and running 5 working days.
Migrating to BT took well over 5 weeks plus a weeks delay for the FTTC swap over.

Down to the nitty gritty, i am no more than 300 yards from cab and only get 41meg throughput with 7 meg upload on a good day. 'Promised' speeds were 58 and 20 which at time was deemed cautious. BT not interested 'you have a good line' and dismiss other reported issues after a week.
41meg down you would think i could actually watch a youtube video in hd, not so the last few days along with routing issues again pages time out.
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Tue 18-Dec-12 04:49:50
Print Post

[re: hareng] [link to this post]

switching to bt for me was flawless 2hrs down time and around 3 weeks since i placed my order.

BTInfinity - NSDEN using TP-Link W8960n

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Dec-12 07:52:34
Print Post

[re: hareng] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hareng:
41meg down you would think i could actually watch a youtube video in hd, not so the last few days along with routing issues again pages time out.

That's your ISP - are you still with WebTapestry as in your profile? Try a bigger company. smile

I'm 450m from FTTC cabinet and I get 45meg - but "high"er pings than other people - but I don't lose the connection, and zero problems with YouTube or any other site.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User simon194
(committed) Tue 18-Dec-12 12:03:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I'm 450m from FTTC cabinet and I get 45meg - but "high"er pings than other people - but I don't lose the connection, and zero problems with YouTube or any other site.

At my last place I was about 300m from the FTTC cab and was getting 72 meg. I'm about the same distance at my new place but I'm waiting for the OR engineer to turn but it should be similar I hope.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to