General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Housey1
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 19:11:18
Print Post

Re: 320m From FTTC Cabinet???

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Suppose main factors that effect sync speed.

1. Length of copper wire.
2. Ageing
3. Many cable connections along the way (Signal attenuation at every connection especially bad ones.)
4. Electrical interference from mains.

Even on similar distance to the cabinets seem to produce an array of connection speeds which will be affected by 2, 3 & 4 of the above.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Tue 18-Dec-12 21:37:40
Print Post

Well I'm connected now but I'll have to wait until my line gets regraded to the 80/20 package. I can't believe Sky still put new fibre connections on the 40/2 package first.

It's currently syncing at 40000/2000.
Standard User Housey1
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 01:43:50
Print Post

I will be interested what you final connection speed will be,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User omgFTTC
(regular) Wed 19-Dec-12 02:22:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by Housey1:
Bt get the first orders when the FTTC is live, more of a wait if your with other providers.
No chance! That's you just thinking they probably can. OfCom would go sky-high if that could be shown to happen as a BT Wholesale or Openreach policy.
Moving my line from sky on the 15th december to BT this should speed up the transfer when infinity is live.
Infinity is only available from BT, so that's fairly obvious. FTTC is available from all other major suppliers at exactly the same time as Infinity is available, barring Sky and TalkTalk who occasionally lag by a few days. Or very occasionally a long time. It's the luck of the draw where you can order from first, but for all the BTW based ones it's usually the same time. There have been cases reported here where BT were well behind the others.

On the other hand, IIRC it is one of the posters in this thread that recently ordered Infinity before any indicator showed the cabinet as live.

I don't think that is a major way to decide when looking at a price difference of £72 a year tongue, allied to broadband support you can actually get sense out of as opposed to BT's apparently often incomprehensible and unhelpful Indian call centres.

I do have my line rental with BT, but not my broadband. I agree moving that early is a good idea, if you don't want Sky FTTC.

PS!!!!!

I've just noticed this is all academic at the moment. Your exchange isn't scheduled till March 2013, and that's a highly unreliable date anyway. Will Sky let you stay on SMPF, (partial LLU), that long or probably longer? Or is it a Sky line with something like O2/Be broadband where I agree there is no problem.

"No chance! That's you just thinking they probably can. OfCom would go sky-high if that could be shown to happen as a BT Wholesale or Openreach policy."

Every chance!"!!!!!

Was told by this lady at TALKTALK head office BT have every right to not offer service to non bt customers for x number of weeks, and if cab reaches capacity so be it.????

Colleen McGilligan
Manager, Chief Executive's Office
Tel - 0333 003 1163
E-mail: [email protected]
TalkTalk Group / Stanford House / Birchwood / Warrington / WA3 7BH
Standard User simon194
(committed) Wed 19-Dec-12 09:48:09
Print Post

[re: Housey1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Housey1:
I will be interested what you final connection speed will be,

It switched to 40/10 (syncs at 40000/10000) overnight and if it follows my last fibre install with Sky it should change to 80/20 some time over Friday/Saturday.
Standard User Housey1
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 11:52:14
Print Post

going by some other postings they gradually increase speed in stages over next few days.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Wed 19-Dec-12 17:28:58
Print Post

[re: omgFTTC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by omgFTTC:
Was told by this lady at TALKTALK head office BT have every right to not offer service to non bt customers for x number of weeks, and if cab reaches capacity so be it.????

This sounds like some sort of (likely obfuscated by marketing speak) justification for a delay in TalkTalk getting their link to the FTTx exchange equipment rather than end user connections.

izools has come up with a similar explanation here - there is extensive discussion in the posts following.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Dec-12 19:59:43
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
In reply to a post by omgFTTC:

This sounds like some sort of (likely obfuscated by marketing speak) justification for a delay in TalkTalk getting their link to the FTTx exchange equipment rather than end user connections.

izools has come up with a similar explanation here - there is extensive discussion in the posts following.
Before anyone else joins in about this, the link David_W gives is to a thread by omgFTTC specifically about his problem. Probably best to post there if you have a comment rather than let it derail this one smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to