General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sun 30-Dec-12 10:54:09
Print Post

Re: Openreach Trialling PCP-Only FTTC Install

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Just for the bored I noted that Openreach will shortly be trialling FTTC installs where the engineer attends the cabinet only, leaving the ISP to take care of sending out a modem and the customer installing it.

FTTC goes wires only!
Thing is they would also presumably also have to send out a vdsl faceplate too,It probably won't save the customer any money though, so for most would be pointless may as well have Openreach come to the house and fit the vdsl faceplate and test the line for sync ect , than possibly end up for days /weeks without service whilst you wait for an engineer

For a new, as in first time, VDSL provision wouldn't there still be a home visit to test the line is OK just like first time ADSL provisions.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 30-Dec-12 11:19:47
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

What will the end user gain?
Save them half a day off work or whatever to coordinate with an engineer visit.

I wasn't clear what "testing for sync on the end user side" meant - does the end user's modem have to be in place first, or do Openreach just make sure the DSLAM port and wiring links works at the cab ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-12 11:22:51
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
What will the end user gain?
Save them half a day off work or whatever to coordinate with an engineer visit.

I wasn't clear what "testing for sync on the end user side" meant - does the end user's modem have to be in place first, or do Openreach just make sure the DSLAM port and wiring links works at the cab ?

I presume Phil that Openreach connect a modem at the PCP once they've done the jumpering to ensure sync is there.

A modem on the 'new' D side of PCP once jumpered would confirm everything is as it should be at the PCP.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Sun 30-Dec-12 11:23:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 30-Dec-12 12:18:57
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

A modem on the 'new' D side of PCP once jumpered would confirm everything is as it should be at the PCP.

True, but if there's anything adrift between the PCP and the NTE it'll have to be picked up as a fault requiring a return visit, and that's probably the weakest link.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User izools
(experienced) Sun 30-Dec-12 12:32:01
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
In reply to a post by tommy45:
Just for the bored I noted that Openreach will shortly be trialling FTTC installs where the engineer attends the cabinet only, leaving the ISP to take care of sending out a modem and the customer installing it.

FTTC goes wires only!
Thing is they would also presumably also have to send out a vdsl faceplate too,It probably won't save the customer any money though, so for most would be pointless may as well have Openreach come to the house and fit the vdsl faceplate and test the line for sync ect , than possibly end up for days /weeks without service whilst you wait for an engineer

For a new, as in first time, VDSL provision wouldn't there still be a home visit to test the line is OK just like first time ADSL provisions.

There is no longer such a visit for first time ADSL provisions. When openreach jumper a PSTN line to an ADSL port on the provider's equiptment in the exchange, there is no test for sync either.

I don't see Openreach treating VDSL any differently.

Edited by izools (Sun 30-Dec-12 12:34:16)

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Sun 30-Dec-12 13:43:18
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Opens up the ability to bulk provide at a cab , that is do multiple connections in one visit and means other openreach resources can do connections as additional work, where they currently are not in a position to do managed installs . With no appointment required , there is far greater flexibility , which makes scheduling easier, all in all would be very useful in the current climate!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-12 14:32:25
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

If this leads to Isp offering short term contracts and an end to 18/24 mth contracts sooner than it would of done, then at least something good will have come from it, for the average customer

Standard User simon194
(committed) Sun 30-Dec-12 15:45:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by izools:
There is no longer such a visit for first time ADSL provisions. When openreach jumper a PSTN line to an ADSL port on the provider's equiptment in the exchange, there is no test for sync either.

Mind you it was 6 years ago since I last had a new line provisioned for ADSL.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-12 17:22:09
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
In reply to a post by izools:

Mind you it was 6 years ago since I last had a new line provisioned for ADSL.
All too aware of that unfortunately, I was left without ADSL and Phone for several days ,due to the engineer botching an ADSL LLU migration, Had it been routine procedure/good working practice to do some tests,checks then , he would of known that he had connected up to a dead e'side pair, the openreach line plant data base didn't have current info of which e'side pair was in use , so failings to get very basic everyday stuff right @ openreach seem the order of the day, @ this was more recently , so nothing has changed there

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 30-Dec-12 17:26:22)

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Sun 30-Dec-12 18:01:16
Print Post

ADSL installs are done without a BT visit and 99% plus work ok first time. THere is as you say no real need for a BT visit. It should cut costs and install times considerably. Currently the home vist for FTTC installs is becoming a major problem for BT and is the biggest bottleneck in the system. I would asume BT would still offer a full install including a home visit for those that want one
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to