General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Jan-13 13:31:02
Print Post

Re: BT - 34mb on test, but 24mb wireless !

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Reflecting a wifi signal indoors can so easily wreak havoc on signal strength. It would only be a benefit if the reflections are in phase. The thing is that any other out of phase multipath to the antenna is not good.

I do agree though that a little space can be good. Reflections / obstructions are not good.
Standard User smouty
(learned) Mon 07-Jan-13 09:21:14
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

As has been briefly mentioned - set your wifi router to N mode with WPA2 encryption only.
Anything else SHOULD cause it to drop down to G speeds. I say should because a number of routers including the HH3 do not adhere to the 802.11 standard.
Standard User clarkac
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-13 19:54:56
Print Post

[re: smouty] [link to this post]

Smouty, you are absolutely right. Working on another installation with an ASUS RT-N56U wireless router (an amazing piece of kit) I came across some notes that if you use a WPA/WPA2 mixture then wireless will drop back to 802.11g. So I changed my BT Hub from WPA/WPA2 to WPA2 only and bang!! Now I get 36mb down!! Problem solved.
I can understand why it's set this way to allow for older devices, so I guess that's the price we pay for rapidly changing technology.

Which reminds me of when Sir John Harvey-Jones (in the Troubleshooter TV programme) said to a fellow in the Morgan car factory chassis shop - "You must have seen a lot of changes in the 35 years you've been here..' To which the man looked at him blankly and said 'No' !!!

If only IT was like that... as if! Anyway, thanks for comments - maybe fixing this problem will help someone else.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User malacath
(regular) Sun 13-Jan-13 17:34:35
Print Post

[re: clarkac] [link to this post]

Your lucky.

I get a whopping 40 meg difference between wireless and wired.

When wired I get full 76meg in speed tests. When Wireless I usually get around 30meg.

My laptop is capable of getting at least 60meg wireless as thats what I get in my friends house.
Nothing I do works to improve wireless. I've tried changing wifi channels and It's just as slow if I put the laptop right by the router.

I can only assume it's interference from either the 13 other access points I can receive in my house or some other type of interference.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 13-Jan-13 19:12:42
Print Post

[re: malacath] [link to this post]

Your lucky too, I only get just over 40Mbps out of my FTTC connection wink

Standard User smouty
(learned) Mon 14-Jan-13 08:44:52
Print Post

[re: clarkac] [link to this post]

Glad it worked out for you.
I raised this point with BT but they didn't really understand the issue at level 1 support and the response was poor. This is a constantly recurring issue on the BT care forums especially with Apple devices as it appears the HH3 does not implement WMM which is required as part of the 802.11N standard.

BTW - I connect to my HH3 at approx. 140mbit so the difference between wired/wireless for speedtest.net is negligible with an N wifi device.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to