General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Sat 05-Jan-13 19:40:05
Print Post

Re: Openreach modem question

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

If you can easily wall-mount the modem, do. That gives better ventilation, and reduces risk of interference between modem and HomeHub.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sat 05-Jan-13 20:31:13
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I don't have a homehub, I'm with plusnet, and it was the openreach engineer that put it like that.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sat 05-Jan-13 21:12:50
Print Post

The FTTC modem is BT network equipment - it's the Network Terminating Equipment for your FTTC service, with the presentation of that service being the Ethernet port on the modem. As such, it remains BT Openreach property, as with all NTE.

The situation will only change if 'wires only' FTTC service is launched. The ownership of any equipment supplied as part of a 'wires only' service would be down to the contractual arrangements between you and your ISP.

In practice, I expect that BT Openreach lose a lot of these modems, and as they will buy them in bulk for relatively little, they won't much care about losing a modem from a ceased service. I suppose that the ideal for BT is if the modem is left in place when service is ceased, so another modem is not required if service is resumed on that line.

However, I expect that the costs of collecting up modems from those who have ceased FTTC service, testing them and issuing them to engineers for reuse is uneconomic compared to the costs of buying another new modem. I suspect one fault call due to a recycled modem would be more expensive than the costs of several new modems.

As all the logoed modems are BT property, I would argue that buying one from eBay could be construed as handling stolen goods contrary to s. 22(1) Theft Act 1968 - "A person handles stolen goods if (otherwise than in the course of stealing), knowing or believing them to be stolen goods he dishonestly receives the goods...". This would be difficult to prove, as many would not know or believe the modems to be BT Openreach property (after all, Home Hubs become subscriber property, and most will not know the difference between BT Retail and BT Openreach). Dishonesty would also be difficult to prove, as the R v Ghosh test requires:

* dishonesty according to the ordinary standards of reasonable and honest people, and
* the defendant realised others would think his actions were dishonest.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Jan-13 21:15:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Timalay:
Just a small question about the Openreach modem supplied with FTTC connections. Is yours to keep after a set while, or say if cancelled after your fibre contract was up would you have to give it back?

At the moment all fibre installs involve Openreach providing a new modem. There's no point at all in operators wanting return of the modem, they can't use it for anything. Openreach may feel slightly different about this as it's a demarcation point for the FTTC service between the Openreach network and the ISP.

This will change later this year of course with the introduction of wires-only FTTC installs assuming trials go as planned. ISPs will probably start supplying their own combined wireless modem router hardware as they do now.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Sat 05-Jan-13 21:16:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 21:34:30
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
If you can easily wall-mount the modem, do.
Ummm, I've had two, one of the early ones prone to overheating, (it didn't), and one of the "B" ones, both happy sitting on a desk and the ambient temperature getting quite high in the summer. Plus in the summer direct sunlight can hit them.
That gives better ventilation
True.
... and reduces risk of interference between modem and HomeHub.
Huh?
Where do you get that from?

(As has been pointed out, only BT Infinity users automatically have Home Hubs. "Router" would have been a better choice of word. But still "Huh?").

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Sat 05-Jan-13 21:46:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

... and reduces risk of interference between modem and HomeHub.

I should have said router: quite right.

It's not the wall mounting that makes the difference to interference, but the very close proximity of the devices.
Any two devices dealing with high frequency signals are liable to interfere with each other if put close together,
unless they are very well shielded (which I doubt the Openreach modems or any domestic routers are).

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-Jan-13 21:47:45
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
The FTTC modem is BT network equipment - it's the Network Terminating Equipment for your FTTC service, with the presentation of that service being the Ethernet port on the modem. As such, it remains BT Openreach property, as with all NTE.
Not so, the BT NTE ends at the master socket.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Jan-13 22:16:21
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I don't agree. The VDSL modem belongs to Openreach. If it didn't why do they replace them free of charge ?

It is the demarcation point for the Openreach FTTC product.

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sat 05-Jan-13 22:20:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You fail to understand that there are two demarcations.

(1) the NTE.

(2) the modem, an active demarcation for the fttc service.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-...

Edited by systemx (Sat 05-Jan-13 22:26:16)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 05-Jan-13 22:24:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes, I've done a bit of looking around and, maybe he's been badly informed, but Batboy is wrong.

Unfortunately Google isn't being my friend and I can't find a source that I would class as authoritative. I'm hoping someone else (possibly more familiar with the maze that BT call documentation) can.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to