General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 05-Jan-13 22:31:40
Print Post

Re: Openreach modem question

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Well, if you missed that you should read the edit in systemx's post - right after you posted... that looks like an authoritative source to me.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Jan-13 22:35:24
Print Post

maybe he's been badly informed, but Batboy is wrong.

He has argued the same point in a thread before.

There are three types of Openreach FTTC repair tasks.

FTTC1 up to the modem.
FTTC3 (also known as Super Fast Visit Assured) up to the modem, and including it's out put.
FTTC Boost The whole shebang, including the CP's router.

In all these scenarios the modem is recognised as Openreach equipment.

If they weren't Openreachs, why did they spend so much money on having contractors replace all the original dubious ones ?

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 05-Jan-13 22:36:37
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

I missed that post- that'll do smile

I said Google wasn't being friendly... though maybe I should have used "fibre" and "cabinet" in the search terms, not been lazy and just used "fttc" crazy

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 05-Jan-13 22:40:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
having contractors replace all the original dubious ones ?
Most, not all- I've still got an original "dubious" one, and it's still going strong 2 1/2 years on smile

And I'm keeping schtum about it- if it ain't broke, don't fix it tongue

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Jan-13 22:41:57
Print Post

Yeah, found a few that slipped through the net in my travels.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 05-Jan-13 22:43:06
Print Post

Sometimes keeping 'em in the dark may be the best policy...
At some point I had no dial tone on a phone like used for ADSL only. I never reported the fault, since ADSL was working just fine, figuring out if I had any problem I had a ready-made voice fault to get BT to look at the line wink
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 05-Jan-13 22:50:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I think I can guess what happened with mine- I lost internet completely one Saturday. On the Tuesday an FTTC-qualified BT man came, with a spare modem as that was the usual problem.

I persuaded him to check sync with his test gear before I dived into the rat's nest behind my desk- he did, and no sync. So off he toddled to the cabinet.

It was a fault in the DSLAM, it needed resetting, so he finally went away with us both happy and me with the original modem smile

He was a good bloke- checked the wiring while was here, fixed a couple of crimped joints that shouldn't have been a funny green colour and I gained about 3Mbps grin

edit- typo

Bill

Edited by billford (Sat 05-Jan-13 22:52:23)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-Jan-13 23:03:13
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by systemx:
You fail to understand that there are two demarcations.
They are quite clearly shown in Fig. 4. in http://www1.btwebworld.com/sinet/498v4p2.pdf

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 23:07:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Most, not all- I've still got an original "dubious" one, and it's still going strong 2 1/2 years on smile
Nobody offered to change mine either. I still have it. I was with IDNet when the replacements were done on Infinity, and of course by the time I moved to Plusnet the fuss was over.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-Jan-13 23:07:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Yes, I've done a bit of looking around and, maybe he's been badly informed, but Batboy is wrong.
Incorrect. As I said, information is hard to find and that is why I asked. I have already posted the information I received from Openreach, not from some anonymous posters on a forum.

Also I have once again posted the information about where the demarcation points are in BT SIN 498, which I regard as definitive.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 05-Jan-13 23:10:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to